New video update from Big Finish

Big Finish has released a new video on Facebook and Google+
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Yay Cubase you were a great tour guide! :D
So modest too! I bet you're the one that sits in that chair with the 30TB of video and you didn't even mention it. You deserve the credit. ;)
Haha that joke at the start about the green screen issue will either have people chuckling or throwing old video cards at you. :lol:
Been avoiding spoilers but couldn't resist checking this one out, it's looking great.
Will share this with the Steam group too.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Nice, cant wait.
Do they honestly think most casual gamers are going to have up to date graphics drivers. *sigh*

*throws a Voodoo 2 at Cub*
Haha! *Tosses a Cx4*

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
well they will have to if they want to play the game, cub states only the new drivers are able deal with compressed video.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
They must've used some crazy new codec then... Probably not a wise idea. You'll recall overseer had the same problem where the codecs were all so new at the time that most if us were running out of date codecs. It's very disappointing to see this happen again.
Why does it matter? Downloading and installing up-to-date drivers is easy, and you should be doing it anyway...
Yeah I never thought updating drivers was a big deal. Updating hardware is much more annoying.
Samantha

Matthew Buckstein wrote:Why does it matter? Downloading and installing up-to-date drivers is easy, and you should be doing it anyway...
Most people wont update because most of the time they're either lazy or don't even realise you have to update. I see it all the time with iOS updates.. People don't realise you have to keep firmware uptodate. My concern is most customers are going to see the green bug, go "game must be broken" and just move on based on that first impression. Need I remind everyone how shallow most modern gamers are.

Just saying it looks extremely bad given the games commercial success is riding on casual gamers who most likely have no idea what they're doing when it comes to drivers and firmware..

It'll hurt the game regardless. To pretend it won't is silly, people expect games to work out of box.

Sure I'm glad the games even happened, but really I put as much money in as I did to see BFG be a successful studio. I worry about the games reception by critics, Möbius made me even more worried, though BFG are way more competent as developers.
True people are lazy but people now have the resource of posting on forums and Facebook and lots of places. When people were having trouble others were able to help and inform them on what to do. You don't have to call a companies tech support or file out a webform and have them tell you they will respond the next couple of days.

I think that it's a plus gamers are eager to help each other so promptly.
Samantha

Here's an interesting analogy:

A driver (a car driver that is) refuses to change his tires. He has been advised by the mechanic, the dealership AND his friends he should... but his excuse is: he is too lazy, stubborn or inexperienced to change them himself. The mechanic and/or friends offer advice and support on how to do it. It is even covered for FREE under his warranty (much like video card updates are free for life). The driver still refuses. A week later the driver is going down the highway in the rain, and due to the lack of tread on his old tires he slides off the road into a ditch. The police arrive on the scene, thankfully he is OK, but both the police AND the insurance company notice the tires he is using are bald. The insure then refuses to pay him out for his damage, and the police (depending on which state he is in) fines him for non-compliance.

And who's responsibility was it all along to change the tires? The driver of course. In the case of your video card drivers, it is the user's responsibility to ensure their hardware A) Meets the minimum recommended spec indicated by the developers, and B) that hardware is maintained by way of updates.

Using Overseer as an example is a fallacy because the tech in Overseer was limited to one specific set of hardware and drivers which was never globally implemented. But in the case of Tesla Effect, the technology being employed to decode the video has been implemented in ALL hardware, and ALL drivers across ALL manufacturers and will be present in all drivers released from now until eternity, and all the user has to do is update their FREE drivers.

I have stopped respecting the argument of "why should people who don't want to / forget to update their "X" suffer these consequences", because one day you have to draw a line and call it what it is: pure lazyness. If you have the time to look up, enter your credit card details, purchase a game, install it, and run it, you have the time to visit and link and run a simple software package that will update your drivers. Simple as that. If not, you are no right to complain, just the same was as the car driver in the analogy above has nobody to blame for the accident other than himself.

-Cub. =o)
I would also add that Tesla Effect is not alone in requiring driver updates. If you ask for tech support for any game because something isn't working at all/properly, the first thing most people would tell you to do is update your drivers. Companies can't develop games based on 5-year old drivers just because a bunch of people don't regularly update. From what I can see BFG has done an excellent job of ensuring anyone with a halfway decent machine will be able to play this game, and in exchange for the amazing video (thanks Cub!) all you have to do is download drivers. That's more than fair.

Also, video game critics will already know to keep this stuff up to date and they ultimately have the greatest influence, so I don't think there will be any impact on the reviews there.
I agree with the above comments about updating drivers & having direct x 9.0c but I really believe you must have a decent video card in your system. Installed tesla effect on my gaming system & drivers were 12 months old but the video card is a GTX 460 so no problems there.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Hi, I'm one of those inexperienced gamers you all are talking about. Am I going to need that to download the game, or to see it in the quality that it was made in?