Scripting Tex Murphy Overseer

I'm starting to get really fluent in scripting Tex Murphy Overseer. This means no more trainers and I can actually modify the files themselves that tell the game what to do. However there are scripting limitations in the game, with it's current interpreter, since the game has limited script entry points. So external programs could still be useful.

Some scripts I can now do are cursor interfaces for hotspots, make the midi music in the game run really fast, turn off the music, pull up puzzle interfaces, add inventory items, add travel locations, pull up an unused money script that takes away 500 points, pull up the "Do you want to use this ladder box?", specify what wav files gets played when Tex looks at a VR item, specifying number of points when interacting with at an object, and can kick the player back to the title screen or what you'd call a death for simply moving a cursor over programmed hotspots.

I will be working on beefing up Overseer, one line at a time. In reference to that I have added 3 appropriate .wav files when Tex looks at hotspots in his office, with one being an inventory item, because emergency exits need to be noted and the word scathing deserves to be a part of Tex's vocabulary. Check out the latest ROOM.LS file at the download section.
Blair....I would LOVE to see all the changes you've made, I've loved the screen shots. But here's the deal. I have no tech skills to fiddle with the settings, and I'm really kind of scared to try. Could you please please do a youtube play through of what you've done? I'm sure I can send you a little something you might enjoy as thanks!

Let me know!
Hugs!
Jen
As far as the configuration on your end it would be simple file swapping. I have only changed about 8 values in the latest file, but I understand the chance of Overseer being hex sensitive. Regarding YouTube my Overseer is now configured for individual use, so I'd have to figure out how to configure Overseer for recording again. It's kind of hazy, but perhaps the solution is simpler now since it wouldn't have to be live.
Bjyman wrote:As far as the configuration on your end it would be simple file swapping. I have only changed about 8 values in the latest file, but I understand the chance of Overseer being hex sensitive. Regarding YouTube my Overseer is now configured for individual use, so I'd have to figure out how to configure Overseer for recording again. It's kind of hazy, but perhaps the solution is simpler now since it wouldn't have to be live.
My understanding of what Bjyman wrote:none :(
I wish I was more techie.
So do I. :D There's at least a 95% chance my files are safe in terms of not permanently overwriting things, after the initial swap between the relevant my file and the normal file, of course. In other words I need testers. But I'll use an analogy. You introduce food into your body there's a chance your body will throw up. It's the same way with modding. You introduce new code to a game there's a chance the game can be sensitive and throw up. Once we figure out though what codes the game will take, the chances of that are practically nil.

I'll put YouTube on my list of things to do. Does anyone know if there's a simple way to a record a game that isn't live?
i wonder if you could have a look at the video file of crossing the chasam to see why it crashes
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI7HFl4M ... e=youtu.be

Here's a video that shows my concept. The rice crispy crackling has to do with the recording and isn't part of the game. I just wanted to get something out and not tinker around with stuff.
Robert Knott Cabin 2 skin over Tex's Office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_afXbZC ... e=youtu.be

Edit: If you don't like the crackling, the mute button can be used.
Val Davis' Lab skin over Tex's Office. No crackling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBMpRsKS ... e=youtu.be
Possible slight spoiler on link for those who haven't beaten Overseer. Can you tell what is wrong with this picture?

http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/down ... ogress.bmp

I thought I'd give a little update. What I'm doing right now is mapping out the flags in Overseer. There's at least 300 of them and a lot of them have to do with VR Room states. For instance if you open a cabinet up in a VR room, most of the time, the game will set a flag to tell it how to load the VR room upon subsequent entries that reflects the opened cabinet. However, I have also discovered some of the flags that block Tex from going to travel locations and at least one so far that has to deal with not giving you points for doing the same action twice. I suspect the point flags are in an area I haven't gotten to yet.

To sum things up, figuring out the flags, makes me one step closer to having a great understanding of things. My biggest obstacle on this is really time, as I have other obligations.