Photos in the new game - your thoughts?

I'm curious about the photos in the game and what people think about it.

The game is of course a long way off, and from playing UAKM and TPD, there are lots of great opportunities to put pictures in the game, but I imagine many would need to be posed for one reason or another - for example in a board room in TPD there are about six or ten photos of people in 'boardroom' style photos, all in suits and all that.

If BFG received about 500 photos of people in jeans and a t shirt - would it look odd in the game? I'm just curious as to what people think might happen, how they'd like to see it done and what ideas people have. Just for fun of course!
David
Might be portrait-style? Like the boardroom in UAKM, I mean.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
I think there might be personal photos too. Don't people put up vacation photos of their families on their desk at the office? Or they can use a photo to make a fake ad selling food, clothes, or crop in a speeder. I think they can probably do anything with a regular photo of you.

That being said, I think it would be more fun for us if it was a posed picture so we'd have a chance to get dressed up for the game.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
It wouldn't be fitting to have the photos in-game as a mandatory feature, in my opinion. Seeing some unshaved schmuck 's crappy iPhone faceplant in the middle of an immersive setting would sure be a breaker.

It'd either have be an optional add-in to the game, so you can choose to turn it off. Or more likely, just a menu option where you can view a gallery of all the photos at once.
What kind of pictures do you want us to submit, for those of us who hit the $500+ tier?

BFG: We'll contact everyone directly about details regarding the photos.
At the $500 reward level, we can have our picture in the game... How will that be incorperated?

Chris & Aaron: We will put the photos in the game in a variety of fun, clever ways. It will be kind of an easter egg hunt. In fact, maybe we'll have a bonus for anyone who can find all the photos!
So it's possible they may contact people to see if some would be up for dressing formal and others casual or if its possible for them to take the photo with certain specifications. And they might ask if some backers already have a photo they intend to use. Then they may plan around the kind of responces or photos they get and where those might fit in the game.

Out of the number of people submitting photos, there should hopefully be a good variety. including some in formal clothes that would fit perfectly in a office boardroom. And then others could fit in other places. Like in newspapers, magazines, flyers, photos hanging up in rooms you need to explore. Apparently in The Pandora Directive there were some photos in Horton's office with a few buddies of Aaron & Chris in them.

Maybe if some are up for it and have the means to dress for the occassion (fancy dress?) they might get a few who can submit stuff for movie posters and advertisements etc.

Of course there might also be those not sending in a photo of a person, it could be of their pet and that might go up on some Adoption or Missing posters, or on an advertisement for pet supplies or pet insurance, flyers for a veterinary practise, or some lucky dog might appear on a can of Eat the Rich dog food (P.S. wish people had voted up the mutant pet shop idea :P ).
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I am still completely undecided on what kind of photo I want to submit! :shock:
Cathy
If I get my Project Fedora Fedora before the photo submittal deadline, I'll definitely try to dress up kind of like Tex in my avatar here. I have his ... likeness, to a degree.
Do we know if there could just be an extended credit sequence with a Special Thanks to Our Backers segment with photos?
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
Trilaan wrote:Do we know if there could just be an extended credit sequence with a Special Thanks to Our Backers segment with photos?
Well on the UTM forum chat Chris and Aaron said:
We will put the photos in the game in a variety of fun, clever ways. It will be kind of an easter egg hunt. In fact, maybe we'll have a bonus for anyone who can find all the photos!
So probably they will spread them out in the game in different places. Also Tex has to comment on each and every photo. So the player will probably have to be able to discover each photo during the game and click to have Tex look at it and say something.
AH, good, maybe they'll have some images hidden in a way that you have to put Tex at the right angle to see them such as patterns on a wall or something like that.
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
redcat72 wrote:I am still completely undecided on what kind of photo I want to submit! :shock:
why not send your cat's photo............
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
plumgas wrote:
redcat72 wrote:I am still completely undecided on what kind of photo I want to submit! :shock:
why not send your cat's photo............
I was thinking the same :)
Maybe Tex should change it up with Eat the Rich catfood alongside the dogfood. :wink:
Still I can understand if Cathy won't want Tex Cat stealing the limelight. :D
I'm still a fan of them using some, if not most of our photos as mugshots of various fictitious criminals in an updated CrimeLink computer where Tex can comment on each of them. Then we could also supply things such as our height, weight, body type, distinguishing marks, hair color, eye color, etc, which could then be browsed, or found by searching with certain keywords. Perhaps we could even have the opportunity to write our own criminal record :lol:

The CrimeLink computer in UAKM only had one person on it (Mick Flemm), whereas in reality that database would probably be a little bit larger - I think this would be an excellent way to mend this issue, as well as get a large amount of our backer images into the game without 'breaking' the immersion completely...

Just my thoughts ~

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
Last edited by Chandler on August 31, 2012 • 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm sure they will find a number of clever and interesting ways to incorporate the photos. And remember, based on the KickStarter stats, there are 184 backers entitled to have a photo in the game. I suspect some of them will decline the offer so, unless there are a lot more PayPal backers at the $500 level or higher, there likely will only be around 150-160 photos in all. That may seem like a lot but I'm sure they will incorporate them seemlessly.
rockefeller wrote:I'm still a fan of them using some, if not most of our photos as mugshots of various fictitious criminals in an updated CrimeLink computer where Tex can comment on each of them.
That's a good idea. I'm sure some of the submitters would be up for that :)