Which actors do you want to see return?

Trilaan wrote:Personally, I don't want anyone who has so far appeared only in UAKM to come back. I just don't think they fit into the post-Pandora Directive world... They COULD make it work, but I don't think so.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree... Just because a character like Beek wasn't in Pandora doesn't mean he couldn't reappear in the new game... Or the Great P.I. In The Sky for that matter either... And Ardo could certainly pop up... Maybe Ardo is the one watching us from that Window in Rook's Alley...

The only characters I can't see coming back are any that died in the game or sadly have passed away in real life...
Otherwise any character could be written back into life on Chandler Avenue, or elsewhere in the game...

Frank wrote:Ardo could open the Inspector Burns BBQ place!
I like that, that's a great idea...

And Beek could be the one that opens the Weenie World restaurant...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Bafitis wrote: I'm sorry but I have to disagree... Just because a character like Beek wasn't in Pandora doesn't mean he couldn't reappear in the new game... Or the Great P.I. In The Sky for that matter either... And Ardo could certainly pop up... Maybe Ardo is the one watching us from that Window in Rook's Alley...
Beek doesn't match the tone of the rest of the series. He had an unrealistic comedic mutation that just does not work in the more realistic setting begun in Pandora. If they retcon his appearance, then maybe, but if he returns as he was it would offset every other single character. Same with the Great P.I in the Sky, as an actual god, watching over Tex, it does not work outside of a pure comedy. Ardo, I don't want to see again, either, but that's more a personal preference because his mutation(gigantism) is more feasible than Beek's.
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
Well if you remember correctly, Tex gave Beek a Coupon for reconstructive plastic surgery... So Beek could come back altered in a more {for your take on the matter} "realistic" way... I don't see how his mutation doesn't fit in though... There are mutants, none of them are going to have the same mutation... To say one is more unrealistic than another is kind of naive...

As for The Great P.I. In The Sky, you can believe what you want... If you don't believe in god fine... I don't really believe in god, but would love to see the character come back...
I've seen plenty of movies that had a godlike figure in it that weren't meant to be comedies, so having a godlike figure looking out for our main man Tex doesn't mean the game would have to be strictly a hilarious comedy...

I think it is safe to assume that The Great P.I. In The Sky will Not be returning to the game, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean some of us don't like the character and wouldn't mind seeing him in the new game...
This is a simple discussion of characters we'd like to see return {or new ones we'd like to see introduced}
You didn't specify anyone One Character in your original statement, you just blindly excluded any and every character if they didn't appear in Pandora and I think that it is wrong to do that...
I even think that there is room for Mick Flemm to return... Maybe he escapes from a mental hospital or something and returns to Chandler Avenue and ends up getting in Tex's way... Or something else...

No proof of Aliens has been truly discovered or disclosed, yet we had an Alien Spaceship {and Fitzpatrick himself was part alien}, not too mention the Alien Entity in Roswell in Pandora... And you're going to tell me that Pandora was more of a "Realistic" setting than UAKM???

It's a Game... It's Fantasy and Fiction and Science-Fiction... To say one is more realistic than another when both clearly have unrealistic subjects within them, that's kind of a moronic argument, wouldn't you agree??? The only real difference between UAKM and Pandora was that they pulled some of the slapstick humor from Pandora... Other than that they were both a Sci-Fi Action-Adventure Game...

I would like the game to feel more like Pandora than UAKM, but that doesn't mean those characters have no place in the game...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

I'd like to see Richard Norton's Big Jim Slade, he was such a bad ass villain.
I apologize for not following the topic and listing actors I WANT to return. Louie and Rook. Aside from that I want new faces.

Now, onto my response.
Bafitis wrote:Well if you remember correctly, Tex gave Beek a Coupon for reconstructive plastic surgery... So Beek could come back altered in a more {for your take on the matter} "realistic" way... I don't see how his mutation doesn't fit in though... There are mutants, none of them are going to have the same mutation... To say one is more unrealistic than another is kind of naive...
I always assumed Beek had already used the certificate by the next time Tex spoke to him. Thinking about it he probably didn't. Point for you there. As for Beek's mutation, sorry, no way. Animal parts? Outside of a Ninja Turtles cartoon, I don't think so. More like genetic grafting. Yes there are many mutants, but in-game continuity leads us to believe there are none with animal features outside of the one instance(which was there due to the Rule of Funny). So no I'm not being naive.
Bafitis wrote: As for The Great P.I. In The Sky, you can believe what you want... If you don't believe in god fine... I don't really believe in god, but would love to see the character come back...
I've seen plenty of movies that had a godlike figure in it that weren't meant to be comedies, so having a godlike figure looking out for our main man Tex doesn't mean the game would have to be strictly a hilarious comedy...
Just pointing out I made no reference to theology anywhere in my previous posting. Yes, there are plenty of serious movies featuring God, Gods or God-like figures. But none I can currently recall were of this particular type(speaking directly to a character, resurrecting him/her upon death, and so forth outside of Greek mythological or similar fantasy film.
Bafitis wrote: I think it is safe to assume that The Great P.I. In The Sky will Not be returning to the game, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean some of us don't like the character and wouldn't mind seeing him in the new game...
I LIKE the character but it doesn't change my viewpoint of his place in the grand scheme. And the brief PD re-appearance was likely just another Rule of Funny shout out.
Bafitis wrote: This is a simple discussion of characters we'd like to see return {or new ones we'd like to see introduced}
You didn't specify anyone One Character in your original statement, you just blindly excluded any and every character if they didn't appear in Pandora and I think that it is wrong to do that...
I even think that there is room for Mick Flemm to return... Maybe he escapes from a mental hospital or something and returns to Chandler Avenue and ends up getting in Tex's way... Or something else...
I merely used umbrella terminology to cover everything I wanted to say in one short, succinct message. You can think my exclusions wrong if you like, no problem there. Also, yes, I do think it would be plausible for Mick Flemm to return again, though I'd rather he did not.
Bafitis wrote: No proof of Aliens has been truly discovered or disclosed, yet we had an Alien Spaceship {and Fitzpatrick himself was part alien}, not too mention the Alien Entity in Roswell in Pandora... And you're going to tell me that Pandora was more of a "Realistic" setting than UAKM???
No proof is needed, as Archie said anyone who thinks aliens don't exist(somewhere, proximity to Earth notwithstanding) is insane. Was it fantastic? Yes, but it still fit within the established PD parameters. So, yes, I think PD was more realistic in both our real world realism and in-game realism than UAKM was.

Bafitis wrote: It's a Game... It's Fantasy and Fiction and Science-Fiction... To say one is more realistic than another when both clearly have unrealistic subjects within them, that's kind of a moronic argument, wouldn't you agree??? The only real difference between UAKM and Pandora was that they pulled some of the slapstick humor from Pandora... Other than that they were both a Sci-Fi Action-Adventure Game...
I didn't start the "argument". Initiative goes to you on that. Also I didn't want to pay for the whole Argument course, just the 5 minutes. (Sorry to take seriousness away from this, I can't resist a Monty Python reference.) I was merely answering in kind. But if you're the type who needs an essay-length post with every single detail fleshed out I'll try to oblige you next time. There's more than just a difference in the amount of slapstick between UAKM and Pandora, there's the overall separate tones of the two.
Bafitis wrote: I would like the game to feel more like Pandora than UAKM, but that doesn't mean those characters have no place in the game...
Cool. Obviously, I'd prefer it be more like Pandora, too. I just can't see UAKM as being in the same continuity as The Pandora Directive, Overseer and beyond. That's just my own, personal mental divider. Keep your own opinions, make of mine what you will. This will be my last statement on the subject since it seems like it might be a little too passionate, and possibly flame war-inducing.

Just to finish this off on a positive note, I really do like UAKM very very much.
I personally would not rather the P.I in the Sky to return. But, i'd love James Earl Jones to have a role of some kind. For the type of games that Tex Murphy has been after UKAM, I find the character too comedic. But again, i'm definitely up for seeing James Earl Jones returning somehow, perhaps as a retired PI that Tex turns to for advice, like a Sonny Fletcher type character.
I fail to see how having a character return would all of a sudden alter the game so dramatically??? I mean the way you are speaking you make it sound like that just because Beek were to make an appearance in the new game that it would automatically become a UAKM Clone or something... You could have every living character from UAKM appear in the new game and it still have the atmosphere of the Pandora World... Just because the character comes in doesn't mean the filming, directing, and acting would resort back to that of UAKM... Adrian Carr will be directing the new game, as he did Pandora and Overseer, so it is safe to assume that the feel of the game will be very similar, regardless of the characters used...

I'm sorry you felt this was becoming a "flame war"...

I was also using the term argument very loosely, I just didn't want to repeat the word discussion over and over again, I like to change it up a bit when possible... But if you feel it was becoming hostile, then fine we'll end it here... Apologies for your discomfort...

Joel wrote:I'd like to see Richard Norton's Big Jim Slade, he was such a bad ass villain.
I agree, I would love to see him come back...

I'd also like Eddie Ching to return... Maybe Franco Franco with a bigger role... Hope Rook has some Jade we can stock up on...

Bafitis wrote:

But if you feel it was becoming hostile, then fine we'll end it here...
Just doing my best to make sure it never reached that level. If you didn't feel one single tiny bit of hostility, I apologize, but some of your statements(their wording, at least) sure seemed that way. So if we both agree to disagree on the subject, but agree that flame wars are bad, then all is well. I'm perfectly willing to go in-depth with you again, too.
On it being "unlikely" to see JEJ "reprising" his role as the Big P.I. in the Sky. This is something Chris and Aaron has stated in interviews as something they'd like to do:
One more familiar facet that could make its way into Project Fedora is the voice of James Earl Jones as The Big PI in the Sky – but only if the Kickstarter raises 30 percent more than its goal, which places the bar at $585,000. If that happens, Jones and Conners will approach James Earl Jones about reprising his role. "We'd love to have him," Jones says.
Already stated my take on it on Page 1 though - I think it'll be entertaining as a mechanic where he simply says "It's not your time yet" or tease him. But he doesn't have to make a big spiel about the fate of the world etc. More like how in the pitch video he just appeared when Tex was already dead.

As for Beek, I mentioned on page 1, I am in two minds because I do like him and think that more quirky Mutants would be entertaining. But do wonder if it'd fit the atmosphere. However after they said that there'd be severely mutated mutants I think they could fit. In Pandora and Overseer we only really got to see the mildly mutated Mutants who are able to live amongst other Mutants and work. But Beek was "heavily" mutated and I think that he didn't feel he fit in even with other Mutants or could get a job so he lived "among the shadows" and became an informant for money.

If we are having "monster"-like looking "severely" mutated mutants in the "dark and dangerous part of Chandler" (added with the 30% stretch goal) then I was thinking a few "heavily" mutated quirky citizens could work. They could perhaps live in a hidden village just across the area where the severely mutated mutants live cut off from the rest of society (because the "monster"-like mutants don't judge them like other mutants), that Beek informs Tex of as a good place for info. Beek's full mask was a bit over the top though so they could probably tone it down with the nose job coupon as an excuse and just leave him with a still mutated face and big ears (like those "Ferengi" in Star Trek). Then he could start pestering Tex for an ear job coupon :P Similarly the other 'quirky' mutants could have some unusual mutations grafted on without the use of full masks.

If Jen's Mutant Mart is added that could also be a place we see more heavily mutated Mutants looking for help.

Pandora Directive is my favourite and I do like the balance of comedy and humour but don't mind if a few more comedy relief characters appear if handled well. I agree as Adrian will be directing I think they will try to balance the humour with the drama. Plus Pandora wasn't without its "silly" moments and some of them are the most memorable e.g. dog poop in Rusty's etc. One thing Aaron apparently criticisized Overseer for was that it was a bit too serious and made the comedy seem forced and out of place. So it's likely, especially with the multiple paths, they will explore more humour again.
As Aaron said I too recall there was much discussion, well debate about the direction the story of Overseer would take. [...]

I think that some of the humour and dialogue by supporting characters seemed a little forced and came across a little melodramatic given the overall dramatic thrust of the story, this contrast could be what Aaron means by turning it a bit ‘soap opera-y’. However, with only a singular path we could not explore the other aspects we love about Tex that we get to see on the multiple paths and I personally would like to have seen more his cynical humour throughout.

As Tex travels further into more dangerous territory he cannot, I feel, go backwards, that doesn’t mean we can’t maintain his sense of humour it just means the stakes are higher… and we will definitely not become ‘soap opera-y’ in Project Fedora.
http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/i ... 3&lang=eng
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Beek already used the certificate, because I believe he says something like I feel like a new man. I don't see why a few visible mutants can't be in a game that is about "realism". I would have liked Beek in Pandora and want him in the new game despite wanting a Pandora tone.
Sai wrote:One thing Aaron apparently criticisized Overseer for was that it was a bit too serious and made the comedy seem forced and out of place. So it's likely, especially with the multiple paths, they will explore more humour again.
That's funny because all of my favorite comedy bits are actually from Overseer. I suppose they could make one of the paths in the new game a "sillier, more comedic, UAKM-style" path to satisfy both the humor-seekers and the atmosphere-seekers. I wouldn't mind that at all and would even agree that I'd want to see the characters I don't feel belong in a more serious game appear on that path.
Trilaan wrote:
Sai wrote:One thing Aaron apparently criticisized Overseer for was that it was a bit too serious and made the comedy seem forced and out of place. So it's likely, especially with the multiple paths, they will explore more humour again.
That's funny because all of my favorite comedy bits are actually from Overseer.
Well the line was more like this which was not to say Overseer was devoid of humour just that it had a more serious tone I think according to feedback.
A-T: My personal favourite Tex Murphy game has always been Overseer. The reason for that is that I loved the more serious tone and the drama elements (Spoiler: suicide of Gideon, death of Sonny etc) I was a little disappointed when Aaron told me that he didn’t like these elements too much as he had the impression you were turning Tex into a soap opera. What is your opinion on the drama elements in Overseer?

Adrian: Many reviews and comments applaud the more dramatic tone taken in Overseer – I am pleased to see you thought so too, Ingmar. As Aaron said I too recall there was much discussion, well debate about the direction the story of Overseer would take. Because the game was essentially a demonstration for Intel to show off their new DVD and 5.1 surround sound chip there was more FMV in this game than Pandora Directive. This is something the Tex fans and gamers in general did not understand; it was not designed as a full on game. There was limited game play and puzzles because of the time to create the demo. I personally feel what Aaron and Chris achieved in the tight schedule was amazing and a hint of what was to come in the next Tex Murphy adventure. We planned on developing a new game with multiple paths but we all know what happened when Access was bought out.
http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/i ... 3&lang=eng

Adrian's further interpretation (quoted in my last post) I think of Aaron's comment was that the humour by supporting characters outside Tex himself was lost a bit and that without multiple paths Tex's own sense of cynical humour wasn't as explored as much due to limitations. It will be fun to see them explore more the comedy and humour side as in Pandora with the multiple paths. And I think that whilst UAKM did have a more comedic overtone (which though pandora was my favourite, I enjoyed too) a few returning aspects could fit in with the heightened danger and drama if handled right. As mentioned in the 30% stretch tier, there will be severely mutated "monster"-like mutants, so a few heavily mutated quirky characters as Mutants could fit if the way their mutations are grafted on were to be "updated" a bit like some of the stranger aliens in Star Trek etc.

I enjoyed Overseer and I really liked some of the real sense of danger parts in it, like trying to move around Slade's apartment etc. Since the next story seems to have a heavy sense of danger (as Adrian also mentioned he'll be moving into "more dangerous territory") I think we will see more of those scenes which will be interesting. But I will also welcome the return of Chandler and more opportunities there for supporting quirky fun characters with the expanded area and new businesses. Ultimately the great thing about the Tex series is that they have sort of gone into many different directions already so they are in a good position hopefully to strike a balance.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
How come Mac Malden (Kevin Jones) isn't making a comeback?
Trilaan wrote:
Bafitis wrote:

But if you feel it was becoming hostile, then fine we'll end it here...
Just doing my best to make sure it never reached that level. If you didn't feel one single tiny bit of hostility, I apologize, but some of your statements(their wording, at least) sure seemed that way. So if we both agree to disagree on the subject, but agree that flame wars are bad, then all is well. I'm perfectly willing to go in-depth with you again, too.
You've been around as long as I have {just 2 months less is all}, but you haven't been nearly as active... Had you been more active I think you would have been accustom to my wording and I feel it could have probably been a fairly healthy discussion... :D
My words can seem hot, but rarely are intended that way in personal settings like this... I tend to have spice in what I say... I've been trained to get what I want out of people {information that is} and one of the better ways to do that is to lite a controlled fire in most cases... Just enough to get them going, but not enough to shut them down... I do this for hours on end, which has made it become part of who I am...
Bjyman wrote:Beek already used the certificate, because I believe he says something like I feel like a new man.
I felt that that line from Beek, "Hiya Murphy, whatdaya think of my New Nose" was meant more as sarcasm than him having actually gone and done it, because not a single thing had changed... I just thought Beek was trying to be funny... But with a few years having passed maybe new medical breakthroughs have happened and have given Beek a more normal looking appearance...

Overseer_AMC wrote:How come Mac Malden (Kevin Jones) isn't making a comeback?
Sadly Kevin Jones has passed away and is no longer with us... I'm not sure of exactly when or how, I just learned of this myself at the beginning of the Kickstarter...

Bafitis wrote:
You've been around as long as I have {just 2 months less is all}, but you haven't been nearly as active... Had you been more active I think you would have been accustom to my wording and I feel it could have probably been a fairly healthy discussion... :D
My words can seem hot, but rarely are intended that way in personal settings like this... I tend to have spice in what I say... I've been trained to get what I want out of people {information that is} and one of the better ways to do that is to lite a controlled fire in most cases... Just enough to get them going, but not enough to shut them down... I do this for hours on end, which has made it become part of who I am...
Well, after the job I've had for the last few years I don't take too well to that kind of attitude, just so you know. Alright, now that we got that out of the way. Friends?