JUST AN IDEA FOR MAY 15th

TrueG wrote:It's not a FMV game (in that the game play is FMV).
I think alot of FMV games don't have the actual gameplay in FMV e.g. games like 7th Guest, Black Dahlia etc. are considered FMV (or "interactive movie") games though the gameplay and puzzles is 3D. Its the heavy use of video to tell the actual story, dialogue, depicting action or during choices I think which put them into the category. I think stating why the Tex Murphy series is different to other B-movie standard FMV games would probably be needed since if the FMV aspect is ignored or denied those new to the series may do a Google search and find a lot of reference to FMV and Tex Murphy then walk away without giving it a chance.

At the same time I totally agree it should not be advertised as just an FMV game. The Tex Murphy games were much more. Black Dahlia, 7th Guest etc. may of had 3D areas, but it was static. Whereas the Tex series was totally fluid and this made the gameplay far more advanced than your average FMV "interactive movie" game.

To demonstrate the importance, the Rock Paper Shotgun article stated Tex Murphy is "cheesy" and FMV-led (and mentions interactive movies these days can easily be made on Youtube). But the article doesn't really go into the production quality that made e.g. Pandora Directive work well. It also didn't mention the other aspects of the gameplay. Overall those new to the series could be forgiven in thinking Tex Murphy is just another B-movie FMV game with little interactivity or gameplay. So in the comments someone says: "Having never heard of Tex Murphy, and having a basic dislike for FMV games… no thank you."

So I hope they address the FMV aspect but also state how it goes beyond FMV.

Some in the press may be more interested in a Tex comeback due to the FMV aspect though so its not all bad :)
http://www.screwattack.com/news/tex-mur ... ng-back-pc
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I suppose if you want to call Tex Murphy an FMV game, you can say it was the only FMV game series not to suck.

There were only a few really good FMV games, and they were literally Tex Murphy. Without exaggeration or hyperbole, those were the best FMV games ever, capitalizing on all of the potential of the 'genre.'
TrueG wrote: I would suggest we don't push Project Fedora as some sort of FMV revival or FMV game. Many successful modern games have FMV or very realistic CGI cut scenes. The later Tex Murphy games are fun, intelligent 3D first person adventure games with entertaining FMV cut scenes. It's not a FMV game (in that the game play is FMV).
Right, nooooobody wants FMV games to come back. Fortunately, the Tex games never really were FMV games in the first place.
Naturally it will depend on each persons definition of an "FMV" game (just like how sometimes theres debate on what is considered an "RPG" or an "Action Adventure" etc.) but I think a majority consider the Tex Murphy series as at least "FMV-dominant" so I think it can't really be overlooked how newcomers might perceive it (even without mentioning it outright).

Therefore it'd be good to demonstrate on the Kickstarter somewhere how the Tex Murphy games manage to pull it off successfully (e.g. it could just be a reel of some of the best FMV scenes, a lot of people who have made Tex trailers so far used a lot of FMV scenes because they're the most memorable). Another indirect way could be with discussing how the input of a movie director (Adrian Carr) and pushing technology to the limit raised things to new heights in previous games which Aaron talks about in some interviews or Q and A sessions etc. like the adventure-treff website one. That way the series history speaks for itself without a pushy "We're reviving a genre".

Not everyone has a bad image of FMV games though or never wants to see them make a comeback. Like I say I enjoyed all the ones I played in some way. :) I don't see the Tex Murphy games as the only successful games to use live actors FMV but they're certainly top of my list. I highly reccomend checking out the lesser known Black Dahlia (especially if you liked the noir detective atmosphere from Tex Murphy) or Toonstruck (for Christopher LLoyd's fun performance). I assume everyone already knows of Gabriel Knight 2 though (I think there are a lot of fans that would like to see another FMV based Gabriel Knight due to Beast Within). I was lucky to avoid the duds. So I wouldn't mind seeing more so long as they're of the same quality. I'm not the only one (found this on a thread discussing Tex Murphy kickstarter):
I've been a fan of Tex Murphy for a long time and P&C adventures in general -- Under a Killing Moon is one of my favorites and The Pandora Directive is pretty good, too. I don't know why FMV has such a bad reputation, there were a number of good FMV games back in the 1990's during the Golden Age of adventure gaming. The second installment of the Gabriel Knight series, The Beast Within is often considered one of the best adventures ever; Toonstruck, with Christopher Lloyd; the later Zork games, Return to Zork, Nemesis, and Grand Inquisitor; Myst, of course, used FMV as did its sequels up until the fifth one went with 3D models; 7th Guest and 11th Hour; a few other horror-themed adventures, but I was never into those...

So, yeah, the FMV trend was fun while it lasted. It would be great to have a new Tex Murphy game, I hope it can be successful.
http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/291 ... rphy-games
Great, people in that thread already have the "HURR HURR you're just promoting some Kickstarter, f*** off" attitude. :( It just makes things that much harder.
SystemsGO wrote:we can clearly tell you're trying to market your game
and some people already think that tex murphy developers are forking dorks
Ruh-roh. :shock: I hope our fan based promotions haven't given anyone this impression. I've tried to be nice and clear in my communications.

Oh, so much worry. :cry:
joliet_jane wrote:Great, people in that thread already have the "HURR HURR you're just promoting some Kickstarter, f*** off" attitude. :( It just makes things that much harder.
Actually they were just commenting on the way the post sounded artificial not Kickstarter, which in honesty it is rehaersed, used to be a thread on this forum they had regarding distributing pre-typed forum posts written from a adventure gamer hater's perspective. The thread on this forum about it was removed I believe. I think its better when things come across more natural such as the Double Fine forum thread someone started. Also a pre-scripted approach becomes transparent with Google (you can see other places they posted by searching the first line of their post in quotes). Anyway I just really liked the responce that forum member made regarding having a good experience with FMV games and hopefully they'll now be a Kickstarter backer but yeah.. I do think it best not to use this approach to promote the campaign as some may get a bad impression of Big Finish if people think its one of their staff putting up a front.
I thought texstarter was deleting the posts on the forums due to us objecting that it was not right to attract attention to kickstarter in this way. It seems we were right they did pick it as a bit phony.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Oh. Maybe the issue is a lot of forums don't allow you to delete your post, especially if its the first one in a thread. It's possible to appeal to the staff of the forum to delete it but that can sometimes go ignored or they sometimes refuse.

Anyway nice they decided not to continue with creating more posts.
they? i thought Texstarter was working alone...
my voice just wrote:they? i thought Texstarter was working alone...
Just an English grammar thing. Here we also use it to refer to a single person too sometimes in a gender-neutral sense or just in general even if gender etc. is known.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
thanks for enlightenment!
in russia we too have that kind of "they"
but it was commonly used by servants of nobles in XIX century
Also kinda like how "you guys" is often used as a gender-neutral reference.
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
Trilaan wrote:Also kinda like how "you guys" is often used as a gender-neutral reference.
Yeah. Though after I thought about it more, I think we even use it when we know the gender here e.g.
Person A: "John just got a massive fine!"
Person B: "Are they alright?"
Person A: "Yeah I think they're managing to pay it off".

I hadn't really thought much about it since its so common here everyday, could be a British thing or even something regional. Still I see it used both informally and formally without any comment in modern British English. Though checking the web it seems there's still some debate on its usage based on old grammatical rules. :|