Idea to promote Fedora Kickstarter

Tex fans may be devoted, passionate, generous, and oh-so-good-looking, but let's face facts: We're few in number, and to make this Kickstarter happen, we're going to need to recruit as many people as we can. Even people who may have never played a Tex game before.

But how?

I don't know how much money the Tex games are still making on Good Old Games, but I do know that they haven't been in the top-10 selling adventure games in quite some time. It seems most of the people that are willing to pay for them already have.

So I propose that Aaron and Chris do a promotion with GOG to do a free week beginning May 15 for Under a Killing Moon, similar to what they did this week with Fallout. People love free stuff, and if it's a limited time offer, it'll get a lot of circulation going on forums and social media. This will help introduce Tex to people who haven't played a Tex game before, and I reckon a few of those people might pay to see another one.

Obviously I don't know all the factors involved, but it seems like this would be our best bet to get all eyes on Tex when the Kickstarter launches.
I like the free game on GOG idea.

The other things we could do would be to spread the word on all game related forums on the Internet as well as get Metacritic to recognize at least four of the best reviews for the each of the last 3 games. I will be working on both of those things in the next few weeks, but the more help, the better.

As for the GOG sales, I have been paying attention to the game’s rankings, and they haven’t appeared to have changed yet. As of 3/28/12, the Tex games were ranked as follows on GOG:

3/28/12

Out of all 370 games:
UAKM is #64 bestselling
TPD is #72 bestselling
TMO is #96 bestselling
MS/MM is #148 bestselling

Out of 69 adventure games:
UAKM is #10 bestselling
TPD is #11 bestselling
TMO is #19 bestselling
MS/MM is #31 bestselling

I will be checking these frequently. This is one of the best ways to gauge how many new people are brought into the world of Tex Murphy.
Maybe Martian Memorandum and Mean Streets could be made free for awhile, I wonder if the rest should be totally free though rather than just a heavy discount but thats the Big Finish guys decision ultimately. It's a good idea to do some kind of GOG promo though. There was in the past a 50% off offer which was nice. Here's the old page for it which shows the prices:
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/tex_murphy

Feel free to email the suggestion to Big Finish on their Contact page using the "Kickstarter Suggestions" selection. I got a friendly reply to my incentive ideas so you should get a responce.

I think May 15th would be too late for a GOG promo as by the time the new players had played through the games and got to know the appeal they may not have the time to donate. I'd also wonder about how just by playing the games does not necessarily mean they will be inclined to Google about the Kickstarter (unless they get all the way to the end of Overseer and wonder about the cliffhanger before the donations deadline). Unless GOG specicially plaster info on the discount or freebie promo about the Kickstarter connection, hopefully they'd be open to that.

The Tex fanbase is not fully represented by the number of active members on this forum, but it is indeed tough to say what our exact numbers are though and anything to make that grow is good.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I think we need to write in to other websites, and mention other websites that Big Finish may be able to contact (gaming/movie/entertainment sites).

Like:

Roosterteeth.com
Mega64.com
Double Fine (Since Schafer is an old school gamer/Kickstarter King)
GOG.com as well
Maybe Ain't It Cool News

Basically guys whose careers were born from video game addiction, lol. In an attempt to get support from them as well.

But right now, I'm finishing the promos, and it's kind of overkill for right now, so I think I'm going to slow it down.
We've come for your Daughter, Chuck!
We could always buy air time in Times Square and play the Tex Kickstart annoucement on one of those huge TVs! ....

Yes I'm joking

- Chris
Tex Murphy: Australia
http://www.texmurphyaustralia.net/wp
LOL!!!!
We've come for your Daughter, Chuck!
ha I like that idea about the big tv screen. LOL... can you imagine getting it shown to the warning screens on the freeway . forget about the first two games & offer free UAKM. I would say the only reason the first 2 have sold the most is due to the price.

we still have a month & enough time for people to play a free UAKM
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
A Super Bowl XLVII commercial for next year, promoting Project Fedora, should be in the works. :-)
Do you have any idea how much a 30 second spot in the super bowl costs?

It would be the entire budget of the game.
Matt
I've already talked to 2 local GameStop stores and they both said they'd have no problem with a small poster display in the window and no problem with handing out flyers in every bag when someone buys something... So I'll be doing that, but that's just a local thing... I'll probably advertise in my local papers as well, they are a lot cheaper than national papers though...

Anyone interested in putting an Advertisement in a national paper??? Once someone looks into what it would cost we could all chip in a few bucks... And then several people could work on an Ad and we all look them over and let the community here choose which one they feel is worded best and gives the best info... Keeping in mind that the size of the ad costs money, so we would want to keep it short and to the point...

We've got a month to go, anyone interested in starting to work on that idea???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Bafitis wrote:I've already talked to 2 local GameStop stores and they both said they'd have no problem with a small poster display in the window and no problem with handing out flyers in every bag when someone buys something... So I'll be doing that, but that's just a local thing... I'll probably advertise in my local papers as well, they are a lot cheaper than national papers though...

Anyone interested in putting an Advertisement in a national paper??? Once someone looks into what it would cost we could all chip in a few bucks... And then several people could work on an Ad and we all look them over and let the community here choose which one they feel is worded best and gives the best info... Keeping in mind that the size of the ad costs money, so we would want to keep it short and to the point...

We've got a month to go, anyone interested in starting to work on that idea???
I've emailed some video game magazines here in Australia, letting them know of the Tex Murphy news. Hope to hear from them, or to see they publish something.
Tex Murphy: Australia
http://www.texmurphyaustralia.net/wp
It would be really kewl if we could get Game Informer to do a small piece on Project Fedora for their May and/or June Issue...

Anyone have a contact at Game Informer by any chance???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I don't know anything about Game Informer but whilst looking for Tex Murphy images I stumbled across this article on there which mentions Tex Murphy, maybe there are particular writers/authors who are familiar with the series.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ageIndex=4
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I don't think a National Paper would quite reach the targeted demographic.

PC Gamer might be a good idea, or computer magazine might be even better, as the people that read pc gamer might not like adventure games as much as the older folks who read the second one. Hell... both would be good.

I could be wrong about the national paper though. Can't hurt.
Matt
lestat666 wrote:I don't think a National Paper would quite reach the targeted demographic.

PC Gamer might be a good idea, or computer magazine might be even better, as the people that read pc gamer might not like adventure games as much as the older folks who read the second one. Hell... both would be good.

I could be wrong about the national paper though. Can't hurt.
--As a prelude to my first post - I'm a long time lurker who's been waiting in the wings for news on a new Tex adventure.--

I've contacted PC Gamer North America and made sure they were aware of the kickstarter, hopefully they'll have it mentioned in one of their upcoming magazines.

In addition, I've gotten a hold of Richard Cobbett. He's a freelance game reviewer/writer who's written articles for a bunch of magazines. An upstanding fellow, he wrote an article for January's issue of PC Gamer North America about classics of PC gaming - Tex Murphy Pandora Directive edition. He's aware of Project Fedora so I imagine that there must be a number of high profile members of the community who are also aware (and willing to contribute).

I love the passion that every one of the members on these boards exude and hopefully I can feed off that and help in any way I can. I know my next step is to try (yet again) to introduce the series to my friends who never really jumped on board.