Concerned about the Campaign start date on Kickstarter.

The date is the exact day that Diablo III is being released. Because this is such a high profile game from such a high profile company, it will be flooding gaming news sites and the internet in general... I am afraid it might overshadow the campaign. Just a concern I wanted to mention as I want this effort to bring tex back to succeed more than anything.

This exact thing happened to X-files I Want to Believe..... it came out the same weekend as the Dark Knight. I mean, the film wasn't the best X-files had to offer, but I think it was still destroyed in the box office because of this.

Anyway.... just a thought concerning the day.
Matt
That is a good point. The Diablo 3 release on the same day could destroy the success of the Kickstarter.
no need to worry...

[spoiler]there`s no FMV`s and fedoras in diablo 3[/spoiler]
I think the date is good. Diablo 3 isn't going to retain the hype for a whole month. To compare things to a recent Kickstarter (Takedown), all the hype about Mass Effect 3's ending hasn't kept Takedown from being announced on Gamespy.com twice during the past week, which also corresponds to over half of its revenue, also accrued within the same week, which helped make it a successful Kickstarter.

That being said, that doesn't mean that Big Finish should be left alone to announce the Kickstarter on May 15. For example, there are a couple gaming sites I frequently visit, and I expect them to have an article about the Kickstarter during the first couple weeks of the event. After that, if I haven't seen anything, I plan to tell them about it and let them do with the information as they wish. But in waiting, it gives them the opportunity to report on the initial hype on May 15 without making it look like I want them to blatantly advertise the Kickstarter. But, it is important that these media outlets talk about the Kickstarter in some way during it's duration.

A loyal Tex Murphy fan,

Hammerhead
Mmmm, Diablo 3....I've been waiting a long time for you too my friend.
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
I'm more worried about the date being so late and people saying something like, "I don't have anymore money to give to game makers, I've already donated to several as it is"... As well as them questioning, "Do I donate or buy the new one that just came out?" and then answering the in the latter... Those are my worries about the way early announcement...

I wonder what their Goal is gonna be set at... Any thoughts???

If costs are the same as they were the last time AC talked about a budget for a new game, their goal is going to have to be 7 figures or better...
I wonder if there are some things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about... Maybe an investor that they've talked to has told them something like "If you can Raise this much, then I'll put in this much"... Doubtful, but possible...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I'm in the same boat (worried about the delay). With every new Kickstarter for a new game or remake more and more comments on Kotaku and the like are getting more and more negative. Many of the comments consist of people getting fed up with all of Kickstarter campaigns at the same time. By May 15th there could be several running concurrently. There may not be enough money to go around and none of them will get funded. :(

I hope I'm wrong. Every post about the announcement that I've read has been positive with lots of comments from fans wanting to pledge. I guess we will know when the time comes.
I think there are a few reasons why they're allowing a decent amount of time before launching the Kickstarter. Some sites seem to reccomend it. Here's an article (section regarding a "Soft Launch"):
http://www.gmsarligames.com/2011/05/18/ ... 3taY9kuO-o

There'll probably always be new game releases or other Kickstarters running so there may never be a 'perfect' time but hopefully it'll still fly by. The Kickstarter will be running for awhile so even if it's overshadowed on the first day there's still many days after that for news reports to shine on it. I'm not sure but it may be that the date has to be set now too as its been spread now and those who don't frequent Tex Murphy community circles as frequently who intended to donate may think its been cancelled entirely if May 15th rolls around and they find nothing on Kickstarter due to the date being moved.

As for the X-Files vs Dark Knight comparison. I think there are many people who may of went to see both. Or people like me who don't watch stuff upon first release because it'll be over-crowded. As an X-Files fan I do think the film was a dissapointment and likely didn't fair well for that reason sadly. A lot of people look at others first impressions on a film before they see it (I don't incase of spoilers) and I think it got pretty lacklustre reviews and feedback such as further down this page here. Out of the two Dark Knight was better, which is sad since I did want to see more X-Files produced, but guess it won't off the back of that film.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I've thought this some more and I'll give you my take on the situation. As an adventure gamer I have come to hate first person shooters and Star Wars for digging adventure games into the ground as far as publishers are concerned. I don't know if everyone shares my hatred, because everyone may not share my passion for adventure games the way I do.

So for me I would never pay a shoot em up on Kickstarter a penny when they have publishers that think they're sexy to back them up. So really is our only competition on Kickstarter adventure games? Just a thought.
I agree wiht bjyman

As for X-files 3... i have not lost hope yet.
Chris Carter has stated that there has been some pre production on it and that it is almost ready to start proposals for a budget.

This is a good sign.
There has been a petition floating around too and a site dedicated to X-files 3 in the near future.

The film would be based on the planned invasion in 2012.
Matt
lestat666 wrote:The film would be based on the planned invasion in 2012.
Oh I remember hearing that was the plan around about when the second film was coming out, and the whole 2012 thing being apt on multiple levels. But at the time they had worded it as the 2nd film being a "testing the waters" type deal for the 3rd. Good to know they're still possibly going ahead anyway. Whilst the alien invasion stuff kind of got overly stretched at times, I do think it'll potentially be juicer material since it is something that was left open for a big conclusion by the TV series.

Anyway sorry for the derail :D - back on topic - I agree in that people are diverse so not all will donate to certain Kickstarters. I'm not a big FPS fan either. Also not everyone will donate to every single Adventure game Kickstarter either depending on various factors even if they're an Adventure game fan. So other Kickstarters kicking off won't necessarily give all supporters empty pockets.

Similarly not all will be glued to only one news topic too. I first found out about the Tex Murphy kickstarter proposal on a live gaming broadcast whilst the broadcaster read through various news, including new game releases etc. People will read multiple news topics if it interests them so the message should still hopefully get through. Diablo 3 is cool but I haven't played DIablo 1 or 2 and (judging by my experience with the Torchlight demo with a similar feel) they can be very addicting :D so I've decided to keep away from the genre for now due to lack of time. So I doubt I'll be very focused on such news and I'm sure there are others similar. Plus as myvoice said, they are very different genres with different features. Might be more other dungeon crawler makers like the Torchlight devs who have cause for concern:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/19/torch ... -diablo-3/
Well, now that some time has passed, I'm a little less concerned about the delayed start date.

Most of the campaigns will be over by May 15th (or shortly thereafter) and by making an early announcement, it will give fans time to plan their finances and even spread the word. Hopefully since everyone should be aware of the pending Tex campaign, no new large campaigns will pop up until after Tex is done.

Plus, it should give the folks at Big Finish plenty of time to put together an exciting, funny and entertaining campaign pitch to entice non-fans of the genre.

It's also really important to plan the reward tiers ahead of time. Jane Jensen has already run into a few problems with reward tiers because they can not be changed once created and there have been instances where they wanted to update or change them and can't.

TrueG
TrueG wrote:It's also really important to plan the reward tiers ahead of time. Jane Jensen has already run into a few problems with reward tiers because they can not be changed once created and there have been instances where they wanted to update or change them and can't
I'm not familiar with how Kickstarter works much but I did see a Kickstarter which had two separate $50 rewards stating that the 2nd $50 one was "just for the poster" due to so many requests. So it looks like you can add a new reward after the fact depending on demand? Shame if they don't allow modifying existing ones too. Perhaps some people edited to later retract things from a reward leading to complaints from those who had donated already?
Sai wrote:I'm not familiar with how Kickstarter works much but I did see a Kickstarter which had two separate $50 rewards stating that the 2nd $50 one was "just for the poster" due to so many requests. So it looks like you can add a new reward after the fact depending on demand? Shame if they don't allow modifying existing ones too. Perhaps some people edited to later retract things from a reward leading to complaints from those who had donated already?
I find having too many tiers or several tiers at the same level to be messy and confusing. It really needs to be planned ahead of time.

As for making change, it looks like it might be possible. Update 3 for the Shadowrun Returns campaign mentioned that they added MAC support at the $15 level, but that you would have to take their word for it since they couldn't change the description. I see now that it is in the description so they must have found a way.

In Jane's case they had to add a $4999 tier which screams poorly planned.

TrueG
I won't mind multiple tiers at the same level if its due to popular demand. I think it's cool that some Kickstarters had a lot of requests for just a specific part of an existing tier and added a duplicate (meaning more money for the Kickstarter). More options means more people that are likely to donate :) Naturally its best to plan as much as possible too though beforehand and thats why they have us sending in suggestions over a month ahead, but I assume there will be a certain amount of people who will just visit the Kickstarter and put in requests via the comments after the fact too so there might need to be some additions or changes depending on the responce once things are in momentum. Its good to know modifications can be done, if a bit of a hidden secret, maybe they had to request it from kickstarter staff and wait? Not really ideal if so, but I guess they have some reasons.