Whats so good about Tex anyway?

What one thing do you find most draws you to this series?

The Writing
29%
The sounds and music
2%
Multiple paths\Great user options
5%
Full Motion Video
5%
The Actors and Characters (-tex)
17%
The comedy
7%
The Drama
7%
Tex himself (the actor and the character)
22%
Just dont know what or something else
5%

Total votes: 41

I thought it would be interesting to see what people found most important to them.
Tough to choose! Obviously everything together makes these games truly great. At the base of it all is the wonderfully clever and witty writing. I picked the comedy because this is one of the main things that has me returning and never fails to amuse me, which in turn makes them remain entertaining even when replayed. The comedy also adds another dimension to the character of Tex Murphy, who is more endearing because of his sense of humour throughout. I find that comedy also helps me through areas of story that are quite technical or political, such as with The X-Files which I doubt I'd find as entertaining had there not been a level of wit from the main characters strewn throughout that helped me past the office lecture bits. Plus the comedy lends an oddball aspect to the main character, Tex, and makes him clumsy etc. which makes him a fun hero because he's fallible. And also the fact that he doesn't really carry a weapon and instead humourosly bluffs his way around is funny and more entertaining than simply blasting through places.
In general though its the great writing which strengthens all aspects of the game, but I think for me possibly its the humour within the writing that makes these games so replayable!

It's really a tough choice though... For example Tex is such a great and unique character that obviously he is the driving force to the game. The contrast between an old-style character and futuristic environments is interesting. The plots are intriguing. And all the characters are so well developed that you find yourself growing attached to his neighbours too. And I think the actors did a great job so the videos are great, the music also holds up well. But I could only choose one option haha.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
The ATMOSPHERE!

...and maybe the Fedora.

-Cub. =o)
I finally decided to go with "The Writing", but there's so many other aspects with the TM-games too, it is simply close to perfect entertainment!!
I also went for the writing the story is the main deal, but i must say the comedy that has gone into the game also made it a joy to play over and over again
Ah, comedy... yes!

One of my favourite lines is actually from the PD book where Tex says (referring to Chelsee's ability to turn him on)... "...Boy she really knew how to pitch my tent"...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Still laugh and use it to this day!

-Cub. =o)
At first, I was thinking that the one thing I liked most wasn't on the list. That is the fully emersive 3D environment. The way you can freely move about, get down low and look under the bed, or up on tiptoes to examine the top shelf. The whole emersion-thing really drew me in.

In retro-spect, however, I have played other games with similar 3D environments and not fallen in love. I have to say that it is the characters. Not just Tex, but all of the characters - especially in Pandora. I love the regulars like Chelsea, Rook, Louie, Mac, Nilo...but I also loved the little old Bed and Breakfast lady when she says 'Okey dokey?'', and Archie, Jackson Cross (greates villian ever), Reagan (Oo-LaLa!), and of course, Kevin McCarthy. What a great cast!
At first you think this question is easy. But actually its a real tough one, the Tex games have so many good sides that people enjoy a lot of different parts. But when you have to ask yourself what is most important then I think you get a better understanding of what the game is all about.

btw....

I voted for Writing because in my book what truly makes this a Hall of Fame game series and not just a good series is the writing. Its full of substance and its well thought out, two very rare things in games. The balance of humor with adventure and orginial story create a world unique and awe inspiring.
all of them make tex great ok i voted on characters and actors but so many thing make tex great , the sound for example the way it blends the mood of the setting and it makes it more involving in my view.
so that a tough poll to choose just one
The best thing I like about this poll is that I'm not the only one who can't pin it down to one thing. I really can't vote for one thing as I'd not be doing justice to others.
For me the Atmosphere was the best, and the tex-world (world after WW 3, with mutants etc).

And of course Tex character (my vote) :)
Hands down, CJ as Tex and AC creating a helluva noir story! Without these two elements, I don't know where I'd be posting now!
I came real close to chosing actors and characters. But the root of that is good writing. Its always been the good writing that has made me come back for more and more Tex. Later.
"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net
Well, it's actually a combination of things. First of all, there's nothing like it on the PC/Consoles as of this writing. I think what draws me to it every time is its Film-Noir aspect which brings back that nostalgia of the old golden years of detective/crime films (aka Film-Noir) of the 40's. As far as acting, it's one of the best on the PC, probably second only to the Wing Commander FMV games (mainly games 3 and 4 in the WC series). It's believeable, authentic, unique and very life-like. The atmosphere is amazing, an old-school-mannered detective in a dystopian future just don't fit together which is what makes it so unique in computer games. I guess the only two games that resemble Tex as far as the Film-Noir aspect and premise is Discworld Noir and of course, Blade Runner, however these game were both in 2D and simulated 3D and hence very different from Tex Murphy. The audio/visual experience is top notch with some great world design (especially Pandora and Overseer) and great mood music featuring saxophones, jazzy tunes, a bit of electronica, and some eerie sounds from time to time. The characters are created very well, and for me that's the essence of adventure gaming - character development. The story itself might not be original (Blade Runner/Total Recall/Brazil/many 1940's Film-Noir), but it need not be one. I love it as is and overall it's a great experience for any gamer, adventure gamer or otherwise.

If someone put a gun to my head making me choose which is the best feature of Tex, I'd probably go for the atmosphere, the mood, the feel of the games. There's simply not much like it around and games like that should be cherished in the future as we unfortunately move away from adventure games like Tex.
The Tex Murphy series was released and probably the most in-opportune time ever for PC... when, to quote CJ himself "Computers are finally starting to live up to the hype that you've heard".

In 1994-95 when UAKM was released, PC were making their way into many homes across the world, and people were starting to look at PC's as a new form of entertainment... and thus the target market was broad (ranging from the young to the old). So when UAKM came out, kids and parents alike found that such great adventures were really great fun.

Then as we moved past the Overseer days, the market skewed off as shooters began attracting more and more adolescents, and adult age range interest dropped.

So, what I am saying is... not only was it a great story, great atmosphere, and all round amazing adventure... it was released at the perfect time where people were looking to see what they could get out of their computers, and for many who had Tex fill this expectation, it has been a lasting impression. I mean... that's why most of us are here right?

In the end... if a game on the PC was to ever to re-diversify the market to incorporate a wider range of players, you will need something that will get everyone (not just hardcore gamers) to start noticing the PC as a new frontier for entertainment. I don't mean simply working out the latest 3D shooter engine that looks super realistic... I mean coming up with a whole package that is able to even question an adults perception of the PC gaming market, like Under a Killing Moon did, by making them think "A movie AND a game, on PC!? Wow!".

That's just my thought on why Tex was so successful, and what it would need to be to re-live it success for future Tex Murphy developments.

-Cub. =o)