"Have you been here long?"

So asked Tex when arriving at the bottom of the ascension chamber. Reagan says she had just arrove as well. The question we have discussed before is this: Just how DID Reagan get there?

Here is my answer. She and Cross follow Fitzpatrick down to the ship or some how figured out the ship's exact location. Realizing Tex landed on the other side of the temple and knowing Tex would eventually work his way to the only apparent exit (via the roof of the chamber), Cross, using a rope, lowers Reagan to the bottom making sure she has a rope to get back out again.

Of course this raises one or two other questions. First, why didn't they just try to figure out a way into the ship? After all, they could see it sitting there like a big Xmas present waiting to be opened. Perhaps they DID try to get into the ship and found that to be impossible. If so, then they figured their only other option was Tex. Since he had adroitly resolved several issues and puzzles along the way, they probably surmised his success at figuring a way into the ship and decided they needed him after all. Second, why was Reagan so coy at trying to get only she and Tex to split the booty? I mean, she had to know Cross was there waiting. Think about it! There was no surprise in her voice or actions when Cross appeared; only Tex seemed taken aback at Cross's presence. Finally, IF they were successful in retrieving the power source from the ship, who's to say that Cross would want the spoils all to himself? After all, he was the only one with a loaded gun. Why split it with Reagan, who I might add was attracted to Tex, not Cross. He may have shot her just for spite, or, as he said earlier, he just likes killing people.

But, the real question is this: Why am I spending so much time on a game that's been off the market for 15 years? Maybe I just have too much time on my hands. Anyway, what do you think?
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
It's obvious she didn't come via the Temple like Tex did, because all of the Puzzles would have been solved and we wouldn't have had to do anything...

Even if Cross and Reagan followed Fitz, how did they know where the Chamber in the Temple was??? And I don't think there is a rope long enough to go all the way down that chamber...

My only guess is that she came in through an Air Shaft of some kind...

I have another question about the whole Temple scene... How did Tex lose his Backpack on the way down??? Shouldn't Gravity had made sure that it came tumbling behind him???

I'd like to know how much Witt gave Tex at the end of it all as well... Because Tex says Witt was nice enough to write him a check for his expenses and then some... Well how much is "And Then Some"???

I guess it was enough to take Chelsea to a Nice Restaurant in Overseer...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I didn't think about an air shaft and that is certainly another possibility.

How much did Witt give Tex? Good question. There is nothing to indicate the exact amount but it would have been at least $500.00 since Fitz paid for 8 days w/o expenses. So, $500 for day nine, plus the air ride down, plus extra for the "then some".

I think it was Chelsee who paid for the dinner at The Golden Pagoda in Overseer. She'd have to since Tex didn't have more than $3.00 for the coat check.
Last edited by Bjyman on January 17, 2011 • 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baf - Maybe the backpack got hung up on the tunnel spikes.

Jim I'd assume the spacecraft was concealed by jungle foilage. It had to be or Google Satellite or any airplane passing by would have noticed it.

Here's how I think Regan got there before Tex. If you look at the ceiling in the Ascension Chamber you see several tunnels. So I think Regan went down a seperate tunnel. To further support this I believe the Pandora Directive book talks about multiple pathways through the Mayan Temple. Not to mention Fitzpatrick advises taking multiple paths to the spacecraft. The temple must of had more than one entry point. The entry room Tex had was the Snake Chamber, so the entry room for Regan must have been somewhere else, off game.

Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis Spoiler alert. Hilight over the black on black to see.

There's a puzzle in this game that I think illustrates this nicely. In Tikal Indy takes the hard path to the temple by getting rid of a rodent and a snake, and then using a tree to cross a gap, only to find Sophia across on the other side. When he asks Sophia how she got there, she something to the effect of "Oh I just took the other path behind me."It's a gag on Indy's hard work all for nothing. Knowing how Tex gets the short straw, I could see this easily applying to Tex. The path Regan took to get to her tunnel probably didn't involve 5 chambers and the tunnel she shot off was probably less of a fall. I also believe with a temple full of safeguards Regan didn't see the tunnel coming. Cross, he didn't even go through the temple! He probably went an easy way through the jungle. The good guys get it so hard don't they?

The real question is how did Tex survive that tunnel drop? I think the game said the tunnel he went through was 40 feet high.

Now onto your question about Regan not mentioning splitting things with Cross. I'll give you 4 reasons.

1. Even if Regan didn't like Cross I don't think she'd want to cross Cross and the NSA.

2. You got to feel for Regan somewhat, but she's still a bad guy. And part of being a bad guy was using money to seduce Tex. If you're a bad guy making a sales pitch, you're not going to be up front and say oh it's not 50/50, we have to split the money 3 ways.

3. I think Regan knew about Tex's hatred for Cross and the NSA. After all he almost got killed because of them. Mentioning being aligned with Cross would most likely drive him right to Fitzpatrick. You think Tex would be trying so hard to get Regan on the rising platform if he knew the truth? Sure she could just mention a false third party but then I direct you to 1.

4. Regan did say "sell the technology to the right the people". I dont think Regan cared about the technology, so maybe the deal was Cross gets the technology and Regan gets the cash.

I hope that was insightful.
Well, that certainly gives me something more to think about. Thanks!
I only post on the message board like once every five years, but I just wanted to say that it makes me really, really happy to know that there are other people still thinking about these kinds of things in 2011. :)
Well welcome... Good to have you around, even if you choose not to post... Feel free to join any discussion, the more the merrier for sure...

And yes we are still hopeful... Especially since in recent years Aaron and Chris have established their own company and have gotten the rights to Tex Murphy under their control... Now it is just a question of Time and Money... Though I imagine Time would be solved if Money were to be solved... So the main problem is obtaining the money for he Budget to begin...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

I agree with Baf - good to see you here, AJ.

Yes, the almighty dollar couldn't be more almighty when it comes to a new Tex game. Maybe we should start a slush fund?
Lets not forget that throwing a rope down the chamber would've been impossible. It was not like a giant wishing well with a hole somewhere at the top. At the top of the chamber was a teleportation device which then transported them to the location of the ship.

-Cub. =o)
Never heard that one before, Cub. I thought the ship just happened to be in the vicinity of the Maya temple, lying there previously undiscovered. Although, the electric flashes would seem to support your supposition. Thanks!
Yeah I'm with Cub, there is no hole in the Ground, and you would have seen the Stone Platform that they were riding up the shaft on, instead they are just laying on grass... But if it was a Transporter, why did they have to ride so far up??? I mean they were on that platform for a while...

That's a good point to consider, Baf. I think I'm back to my "lowering Reagan on a rope" theory either from an air shaft or down the main hole leading to the chamber. She had to get into it some way and it was definitely not the same path taken by Tex.
Bafitis wrote:Yeah I'm with Cub, there is no hole in the Ground, and you would have seen the Stone Platform that they were riding up the shaft on, instead they are just laying on grass... But if it was a Transporter, why did they have to ride so far up??? I mean they were on that platform for a while...
Definately a teleportation. It's like a portal from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the ceiling. You have to touch it to actually go through it.
Bafitis wrote:Yeah I'm with Cub, there is no hole in the Ground, and you would have seen the Stone Platform that they were riding up the shaft on, instead they are just laying on grass... But if it was a Transporter, why did they have to ride so far up??? I mean they were on that platform for a while...

I can only assume this much, but I think I might know why they chose to create a long ascention shaft:

The Mayans were a primitive race, and although their understanding of the cosmos as well ahead of their time, they were probably still very frightened of any foreign technology, especially very advanced stuff. So the aliens, instead of building the teleportation device on the ground (where it would probably cause a panic), they built an ascention shaft which a rising platform so that the process would be more in-tune with the Mayan's interpretation of how someone ascends to heaven. So in the case where it would be someone's turn to ascend, they would be far more comfortable with a rising platform insead of having the giant orb of lightning on the ground and being told to just jump into it.

That's just me $0.02.

-Cub. =o)
I can understand the concept behind not wanting to frighten the people, but still that was one LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG Shaft... :lol:

I think they could have achieved the same effect with a simple 10 meters or so at a slower pace... As fast as they were rising and the amount of time they spent rising before the Electricity happened, it can be assumed that they rose about 100 meters or so... That's just using a rough formula since you can't be specific of how fast they were going...