UAKM - GOG version thanks!

Sally,
Before you upgrade your OS, you should back up all your files onto either a flash drive or an external hard drive. You will have to reinstall all your programs and games.

Flash drives come in various sizes such as 2GB. External hard drives are much larger such as 500GB. Both are useful and portable for plugging into any other computer should anything happen to your existing computer.

Here is the usual order you should do things.
1. Backup all data files (pictures, videos, downloaded files, music, etc.)
2. Install the new OS. If you are upgrading, Windows 7 will replace your existing Vista files.
3. Reinstall your programs.
4. Copy back your data files IF any were lost (most times they should still be there).
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Sally,
BTW, I almost forgot to make a plug for the new game company.

Chris Jones and Aaron Conners, the makers of Tex Murphy, have started a new game company called Big Finish Games. So far they have released two games. They are hidden object style games.

You can check them out if you like at: http://www.bigfinishgames.com/

We try our best to support them in the hopes that maybe someday they'll be able to make another Tex game. Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. We support them all the same. :)
Samantha

Yes, Flash Drives I've seen from 512MB up to 32GB... Hard Drives of course are much larger, but a bit bulkier... It's a bit harder to stick a Hard Drive in your pocket and go over a Friend's to introduce them to Tex or something...

An External Hard Drive is good for backing up ALL of your files that you want to save in case of a computer crash...

Flash Drives are good for Specific items, such as all of your Tex stuff... You can save the first Four games, the Radio Theaters, and several picture files on an 8GB Flash Drive, which will slip right into your pocket and go with you anywhere...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Sam, I will delay upgrading to Win 7 until after I've acquired either a flash drive, an external hard drive or both. I'm swamped with 'stuff' for the rest of the week but I should be able to do everything next week. I agree, backing up my files will reduce my anxiety.

I love hidden object games! I will check out BigFinish.

Bafitis, re the idea of carrying Tex games on a small flash in my pocket...good idea! Over the past 15 years I've persuaded a few people to play UAKM, Pandora and Overseer. I remember when UAKM came out (I had played it and loved it) and one day I was in a store that sold computer games and overheard a man asking one of the clerks which RPG was good. I barged in, plucked the UAKM box off the shelf, handed it to the guy and told him "This one is the BEST". He did buy it.

By the way, I didn't see Mean Streets or Martian Memorandum on the games list at GOG. I'll look again.

Thanks guys,

Sally
When at GOG, just type in Tex Murphy and all of the games come up... They have it as a Two for One deal for 6 bucks...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
True external hard drives are bulkier but the passport drives aren't too bad (250GB). They'll fit in your pocket but maybe you'll walk a little funny. haha.

They are useful for me in case we ever have to evacuate because of a hurricane, I can grab an external hard drive faster than I can unplug and pack up a computer and monitor.

Sadly I don't have a laptop these days. I got rid of George a few years ago because I couldn't upgrade him from Windows XP. His hardware couldn't take it. I found him a good home with a friend who needed an XP machine. Maybe the end of this year or next year.

I don't know about Mean Streets and Martin Memorandum. I bought them and loaded them but oh they looked so primitive. I didn't have the patience to play them after an hour.
Samantha

sally,

if want to upgrade to win 7 you just buy a upgrade cd.
the reason you don't click run on a downloaded file is because of security reasons.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town