Sin City

So what does everyone think of the film noir then?
Isn't out over here yet. :/

Am looking forward to seeing but as a campy artisitc type action comic book flick.

When i want noir, i'll stick in my Maltese Falcon and Chinatown DVDs thank you so very much. ^^
It's one of the best/coolest movies I've seen in a good long while. I've read the books, and it's done incredibly well. A lot, and I mean a lot, of the scenes match perfectly to the actuall strip. The cinematography was fantastic and it was an enjoyable experience. It was a tad bit gorey, and there were some glarring errors in consistency, but it was still great.

~Keck
I enjoyed it quite a bit! It was amazing to see scenes on the screen that were pretty much identicial to the comic, I read it Long ago, but some visuals you just don't forget.

So I'll never look at Elijah Wood exactly the same way again.

The funniest thing though, when i went to see it, there was a few late teens/ early twenty something in front of me, and a older married couple (I'd say late 40- mid 50's or more) three seats to my left.

I looked at them and was thinking.... are you sure you're in the right theatre?? Are you sure you want to see this?

Sure as $hit, 15 minutes into the movie they walked out.
It took me a day or two to tie in the 1st scene in the movie with the last one, but then I thought UH-DUH!!!

Very good. Yes it has a bit of the old Ultraviolence. But I was laughing out loud and wincing too. It's a nice disconnect, unlike movies like Resiorvoir Dogs which I thought was ugly and mean. (funny, I loved the rest of QT flicks though)

So yeah, like it probably buy it on DVD when it comes out. Hoping its packed with extra goodies.
I think Sin City was, without question, the coolest movie so far this year. It is amazing how well they captured the style of the 'graphic novels' (comic books). I saw it three times. I'm sure I will get the DVD. I like the Micky Rork character the best.

If you're a guy, it's probably not a movie you would take a date to.
Since we're talking about noir movies here, I thought I'd mention that our old buddy Clint Howard (Larry Hammond from Overseer) was in Cinderella Man. I love that guy. He plays a referee.
Jen,
I think your assesment of older people (40-50 years) is unwarranted. I'm 53. I loved it and saw it three times. My 63 year old movie buddy, Jerry, saw it twice. Age ain't got nothin' to do with it. And don't forget that Micky Rork and Bruce Willis aren't exactly Spring chickens either.
Marv is just an unbelievable character, and Hartigan ain't too shabby either - although the image of what he did to Jr will haunt me forever :P

~Keck
Old buddy Clint Howard? I hated him in Overseer. He was the worst. He makes Ben Affleck appear to be a good actor. The fewer movies I see with Clint Howard, the better. Ben Affleck too.

Although, about Sin City, the movie, I'd say, was awesome. Very dark. Very twisted. Tied for my favorite comic book adaptation with another awesome comic book adaptation, Road to Perdition.
My blog:
http://nvracar.wordpress.com/
I think your assesment of older people (40-50 years) is unwarranted

I am not talking about ages in particular. I'm in my mid thirties myself. But I can say that "Sin City" is not a movie the average older married couple would see. This is not a movie my mother would watch. It's very edgy/graphic. It is marketed and produced with the male 18-??? in mind. I was the only woman I knew who in the late 80's early 90's had read Sin City, V for Vendetta, The Watchmen, Legends of the Dark Knight, played Xcom and Wolfenstein 3D to excess. I felt exquisetly comfortable in Sin City. They did not, and I sensed that they wouldn't ahead of time.
I am not making assestments of older people. And it bothers me quite a bit that you are suggesting that is the case.

I believe that they expected Sin City to be something that it wasn't. Hell, I expected Spanglish to be funny. Life goes on.
I am still waiting for it to come out here... apparently we are the second last country to get it at the cinemas! Second only to Malaysia...

:(

-Cub. =o)
hmm ill have to go wath it
Ok Jen,
I'm sorry that it 'bothers you quite a bit' that I thought you were making an assesment on older people. If you reread your post, maybe you can understand why I thought that, and forgive me for thinking it. You did single the couple out on account of their age.

Meanwhile, Frank Miller, who writes Sin City, is 48. Old, by your standards (40-50).

I don't think the movie is likely to appeal to most married couples - old or young. I also think it is more likely to appeal to males, though some females will certainly enjoy it. (and if I were single, I'd want their phone numbers.)
Hey Vracar,
It's amazing how different people's tastes can be. You really hated Larry? He was my second favorite character in Overseer (not counting the standards - Tex, Chelsey, Rook, Louie..)

I'm with you on Ben Aflick though, except maybe in Chasing Amy.
I live in Metro Detroit; I don't have to see the movie - I live it every day! :(
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"