Book recommendations by Archie Ellis

Let's have a bit of fun. I used the Yahoo search and looked up the 3 books Archie loans to Tex and guess what I found? Only one book is real, or, at least as far as Yahoo is concerned. Now for the fun: Withour looking yourself, try to guess which of the 3 is the real one. Also, if you positively know the answer, state it BUT NOT the reasons you know. This will give others a chance to quess. BTW, one guess per member. Does this qualify as a poll?

1. Focault's Pendulum

2. Adrift in the Telluric Currents

3. The Fifth Column (by Richard Eeko, not Hemingway, et al)
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
without cheating I am inclined to believe the real book is Focault's Pendulum... mainly becuase Focault is very well known in the scientific/philosophic world, and I believe I have heard the term "Focault's Pendulum" used often. but based on the title I would assume Focault did not write it.

-Cub. =o)
I will go with Pendulum as well.

I'm not even sure what Adrift in the Telluric Currents is supposed to mean :P

Somehow I expected all books to be real. It's odd to include but one.
Part-Time Nomad
It's Pendulum.

~Keck
litlkeck wrote:It's Pendulum.

~Keck
Yep cause I read it!!!!

And man...it was NOT easy.
Haha

Well, since it's established, I can now say what I thought when reading Jim's post.

It's pretty amusing of Archie to give Tex a book about secret societies and conspiracies, especially so when you realise Eco was really just making fun of such theories.
Part-Time Nomad
Jen wrote:
litlkeck wrote:It's Pendulum.

~Keck
Yep cause I read it!!!!

And man...it was NOT easy.
I agree... In fact I read it shortly after playing Pandora... I did just what Jim did {searched for all of them}, finding out that only one of them were a real book...

For those interested, you can get a used copy on Amazon for under 5 bucks, comes out to right around 6 or 7 with shipping...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Thank you for responding! And you are all correct!

About the other two, someone asked about telluric currents, not knowing what they are. Here is an excerpt from Wiki-pedia:
Telluric currents are phenomena observed in the Earth's crust and mantle. In September 1862, an experiment to specifically address Earth currents was carried out in the Munich Alps (Lamont, 1862). The currents are primarily induced by changes in the outer part of the Earth's magnetic field, which are usually caused by interactions between the solar wind and the magnetosphere or solar radiation effects on the ionosphere. Telluric current activity is related to thunderstorms, and recent research indicates that by causing accumulation of electrical charge on the Earth's surface, they play a vital role in turning a rain shower into a thunder storm. Telluric currents flow in the surface layers of the earth. The electric potential on the Earth's surface can be measured at different points, enabling us to calculate the magnitudes and directions of the telluric currents and thence the Earth's conductance. These currents are known to have diurnal characteristics wherein the general direction of flow is towards the sun. [1][2] Telluric currents will move between each half of the terrestrial globe at all times. Telluric currents move equator-ward (daytime) and pole-ward (nighttime).

Both the telluric and magnetotelluric methods are used for exploring the structure beneath the Earth's surface (such as in industrial prospecting). For mineral exploration the targets are conductive ore bodies. Other uses include exploration of geothermal fields, petroleum reservoirs, fault zones, ground water, magma chambers, and plate tectonic boundaries. Telluric currents can be harnessed to produce a useful low voltage current by means of earth batteries. Such devices were used for telegraph systems in the United States as far back as 1859.

In industrial prospecting activity that uses the telluric current method, electrodes are properly located on the ground to sense the voltage difference between locations caused by the oscillatory telluric currents. [3][4] It is recognized that a low frequency window (LFW) exists when telluric currents pass through the earth's substrata. In the frequencies of the LFW, the earth acts as a conductor.[5]

Don't know if that helps or not.

As for The Fifth Column, well, there was some sort of book by that title written by Hemingway, but nothing by Richard Eeko. In fact, if you type that name into a search engine you will NOT find anyone by that name. It seems the creators of PD had a bit of fun pulling our legs. In my humble opinion, they may have played off the name Umberto Eco who wrote Focault's Pendumlum.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
And for the bonus points - without cheating - who wrote it?

and finally, does anyone recall what Aaron said about it in our chat with him a few years ago? (By the way I don't offhand!)
David
Jim, thanks for the heads up! I wonder where Archie was going with this subject matter. Is there a conspiracy theory revolving around currents?

Who wrote Pendulum? It's Umberto Eco. I don't recall Aaron addressing the subject matter. Must've been funny.
Part-Time Nomad
I did notice that although the book is real, Archie didn't pronounce "Foucualt" right. I guess the French didn't make it into the post-WWIII future. :P
I think he mentioned it ages ago. It got raised in a thread a few years ago where some of us (me especially) found it hard going at first but those who got through the first part said it was well worth it.
David
I would've gone with Focault's Pendulum on the basis that I saw the Focault Pendulum in the Pantheon in Paris on a show called Connections, once.

But apparently the book's title is only based on it.

I remember I always thought Adrift in the Telluric Currents sounded like a good book to fall asleep from :D

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!