Help wanted. Inquire within.

So I wanted to get Grim Fandango running. No hope.

I plop the disc in, and all I get is this error that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Which to me, means absolutely nothing. I'm guessing this isn't the first problem I'm gonna run into, but... Who wants to give me a hand relive the glory days... OF DEATH!! :D

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Have you tried this?

http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=launcher

Edit: http://www.grim-fandango.com/comments.p ... news&id=19
A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
Fred Buer wrote:So I wanted to get Grim Fandango running. No hope.

I plop the disc in, and all I get is this error that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Which to me, means absolutely nothing. I'm guessing this isn't the first problem I'm gonna run into, but... Who wants to give me a hand relive the glory days... OF DEATH!! :D

-Fred
Ok so when you right click on the drive with the disc in it you get that message? Are you the admin? If you can access the disc's contents, right click the setup.exe file and click it to win95 compatibility.

Should install fine.
I've had a splitting headache all day (not self-induced in any way, thanks) and I realized I forgot to add some details.

1) I run Windows XP Professional (is what it says at least)

2) I can access the disc. But any tampering with files gives me that message. Trying to run Grim.exe? Error. Trying to copy Grim.exe? Error. I can run setup, and it will install the game for me, but when I try running the game from the start-menu it just searches for Grim.exe as if the disc was not in the tray. Any attempts at getting anything from the disc results in the aforementioned error.

Sorry for the first, half-assed post. Sleep seemed to help a bit.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
First try using this launcher:

http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=launcher

One thing this launcher will do is make it so you can download the patch with the click of a button. The second thing it will do is copy everything from the CD to your HD and eliminate the need of your CD-ROM.

I know people who've had problems that this launcher has fixed by getting both the patch and avoiding the CD.

If you're still having troubles I'll ask questions like do you have SP3, etc.
Downloaded the launcher, copied all the files to the harddrive...

Then... Nothing. Nada. Zip. Null and void, zilcho. Absolutely nothing happens when I try to run the game.

Weirdest thing I ever did see.

-Fred
Fred Buer wrote:Downloaded the launcher, copied all the files to the harddrive...

Then... Nothing. Nada. Zip. Null and void, zilcho. Absolutely nothing happens when I try to run the game.

Weirdest thing I ever did see.

-Fred
When you say nothing, not a fade to black or anything, but nothing at all right?

you got the patch...

You have SP3 installed?

Right click the launcher and set it to work in win95 mode. Right click the grime.exe file and set it for win95 mode.

I'm thinking you may have to mess with regedit some... which you may not want to do.
That's what nothing means.

I do not have SP3 installed, I believe. Also I cannot even FIND the Grim.exe file. It's on the disc, of course, but whenever I try to copy it I'm denied it.

-Fred
Fred Buer wrote:That's what nothing means.

I do not have SP3 installed, I believe. Also I cannot even FIND the Grim.exe file. It's on the disc, of course, but whenever I try to copy it I'm denied it.

-Fred
Ok you installed the game onto your HD right? Check the directory on your HD. Should be there. Also hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and see if it even created a process. Go ahead and install SP3.

I'll hunt through MS knowledge bases and see if I can find what the cause might be.
So I've gotten to the point where I've installed the game, and even seen the intro cinematic. Then everything reverts to my windows desktop.

Now what? :D

-Fred
Are there any Patches for it that you may have forgotten to download and/or install???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Patch didn't help. Soon as the game is trying to load up the ingame graphics, it ups and quits on me instead. Straight back to the desktop.

-Fred
Bummer... Seems to be a pretty solid pattern when it comes to the older games...

Shame how companies just think that people stop playing them after X amount of Years and don't worry about how to make them compatible with newer Operating Systems...

It'd be nice if more companies did what Sierra did with the King's, Police, Space Quests and Leisure Suit Larry...

Sorry you're having Woes Fred... Hope you get it straighted out...
I did come across this Thread here... I hope it works for you...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=171217
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Is SP3 a must for getting Grim Fandango to work with XP?

-Fred
Hey Fred - thought I'd see if anyone had any better solutions than me before I started to shoot my mouth off. The thing is, I don't have any direct solutions for you, but I thought you'd be interested to know that I'm running Grim Fandango just perfectly on Windows XP SP2 without any problems. I only had a couple problems in the beginning ~

1. The sequences worked fine, but as soon as the game started the graphics got all screwy. However, when I hit F1 and got to the main menu, I changed the type of rendering I was doing from software to hardware, or vice versa (don't remember exactly). This made the graphics work just fine. Now you may be having the same issue, except that your game quits out whereas mine just kept playing with screwy graphics, so if I were you, I'd try to get to the main in-game menu before the game starts and switch the rendering as this may be your issue.

2. Animations and other things were happening way too fast, so I installed the patch known as update101 which seemed to fix the speed issue as well as the occasional freezing.

But I've never had to run Grim in any kind of compatibility mode, and I've never had to use that launcher - but since all PCs are different it's hard to say exactly what the problem is.

On my old PC I had trouble running Grim due to hyperthreading issues (the same issue that occurs with Overseer on some computers). I fixed this by running a program called Imagecfg on Grim.exe in the command prompt, and it fixed everything, so if you'd like you can pm me your email and I can send you some goodies that may help...

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"