Overseer - CD to DVD Guide

Last edited by SansGUI on April 27, 2009 • 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Revised instructions for both Windows XP and Windows Vista

This guide is intended for anyone that owns the original “Tex Murphy: Overseer” game.

It was put together to assist this community and anyone having problems running the DVD version of the game inside of Microsoft Windows XP and/or Vista.

This guide will walk you through converting your 5 CDs into an installable DVD (not to be confused with the actual DVD Version). It also provides steps to installing the game in Microsoft Windows XP and Vista. When it is completed you will be able to play the CD version of the game completely from your Hard Drive (No Disc Swapping Required).

In order to complete the guide you will need my patch archive. The archive contains three necessary files. The first file is the official 1.04 patch converted to be self installing named "TMO_Patch-1.04.exe". The second file, named "OVERSEER.EXE", has been patched to run the game files from the hard drive. The third file, named "Tex.ini", has been edited to avoid some common issues and enable some graphics enhancements (Midi Mute = Yes, Display Mode = 800x600, Window Size = Letterbox, Trilinear=1, MipMap=1, Texture Detail=100). Unfortunately, the "Tex.ini" I included in the patch archive does not change "LockVideo=-1" to "LockVideo=1" which some machines may require.

Neither this guide nor my patched files will allow you to play the DVD Version from your Hard Drive that is not their purpose.

The guide consists of two parts. One for converting the CDs to DVD. The other for installing the game in Microsoft Windows XP and Vista. Follow the instructions in green and white text for Windows XP. Follow the instructions in blue and white text for Windows Vista.

Part One: Create the DVD

For Windows Vista
  • Click on the "Start" button, and type "CMD" in the "Search" then press <Enter>

For Windows XP
  • Click on the “Start” button, click on “Run”, and type "CMD" then press <Enter>

Type "MKDIR C:\TMO-DVD\OVERSEER1", and press <Enter> then press <Enter>

Type "MKDIR C:\TMO-DVD\OVERSEER1\PATCHES" then press <Enter>

Download my patch package from either of these sites Extract the files and put them in the "C:\TMO-DVD\OVERSEER1\PATCHES" directory

Insert "Disc 1" into the CD/DVD Drive.

For Windows Vista
  • Type "ROBOCOPY D:\ C:\TMO-DVD\OVERSEER1 /E /COPY:DAT /DCOPY:T" then press <Enter>
    Note: Repeat this step for "Disc 2" - "Disc 5"
    Note: Change the "D:" to match your CD/DVD Drive letter, if different

For Windows XP
  • Type "XCOPY D:\ C:\TMO-DVD\OVERSEER1 /E /Y" then press <Enter>
    Note: Repeat this step for "Disc 2" - "Disc 5"
    Note: Change the "D:" to match your CD/DVD Drive letter, if different
    Type attrib +r -a C:\TMO-DVD\* /s /d

Type "EXIT" to close the Command Prompt window

Burn all of the contents inside "C:\TMO-DVD\OVERSEER1" to a DVD labeled "OVERSEER1"

Store your original discs in a safe place to avoid damage and use the DVD

Part Two: Installing the Newly Made DVD in Windows Vista

Insert the "OVERSEER1" DVD

When the "AutoPlay" menu opens select "Open folder to view files" to open Windows Explorer.
Note: If the AutoPlay menu does not open, Left Click on the "Start" button and select "Computer" (Windows Vista) or "My Computer" (Windows XP) to open Windows Explorer and locate the CD/DVD Drive.

Explore the CD/DVD Drive labeled "OVERSEER1" and copy the "RSX3D" Folder from the DVD to "C:\Program Files\"

Explore to "C:\Program Files\RSX3D", Right Click on "RSXSETUP.EXE" then select "Properties"

Click the "Compatibility" tab

Check the box "Run this program in Compatibility mode for:"

In the drop down box select "Windows 98/ Windows Me" then Click "Apply" and "OK"

For Windows Vista
  • Right Click "RSXSETUP.EXE" and select "Run as administrator"

For Windows XP
  • Right Click "RSXSETUP.EXE" and select “Open”

Complete the Setup Wizard for "Intel RSX3D"
Note: Go to the "Advanced Settings - Buffer Times" tab and change it to 240ms

Explore the CD/DVD Drive labeled "OVERSEER1", Right Click on "SETUP.EXE" then select "Properties"

In the drop down box select "Windows 98/ Windows Me" then Click "Apply" and "OK"

For Windows Vista
  • Right Click "SETUP.EXE" and select "Run as administrator"

For Windows XP
  • Right Click "SETUP.EXE" and select "Open"

Complete the Setup Wizard for "Tex Murphy: Overseer"
Note: Change the Installation Directory to "C:\Program Files\Overseer"
Note: Say "No" to both the "RSX3D" and "Directx 5a" questions
Note: "Finish" and "Exit", Do not "Launch"

Explore the CD/DVD Drive labeled "OVERSEER1"

Copy the "DATA" folder to "C:\Program Files\Overseer"

Explore the CD/DVD Drive labeled "OVERSEER1" to the Patches folder

Double Click TMO_Patch-1.04.exe to install the 1.04 patch

Copy "OVERSEER.EXE" and "Tex.ini" to C:\Program Files\Overseer
Note: Click "Copy and Replace" for "OVERSEER.EXE"

Explore to "C:\Program Files\Overseer" Right Click on "OVERSEER.EXE" then select "Properties"

In the drop down box select "Windows 98/ Windows Me"

For Windows Vista
  • Check the box "Run this program as an administrator" then Click "Apply" and "OK"

For Windows XP
  • Click "Apply" and "OK"

Click on the "Tex Murphy Overseer" shortcut in your Start Menu to play the game.

Note: Don't forget to delete the "C:\TMO-DVD" folder when you are done. you shouldn't be needing it anymore.

It is my wish as a fan of this series to keep Tex alive and viable. I hope his guide is helpful to that end.
      A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
      I just wanted to emphasize that this was a "labor of love" for me. I am not a programmer/cracker, but I have to futz around with code for my day job. It should be obvious I also don't write instructions or tech docs either.

Regards
      A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
      Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Glad to have you on board.
      "If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
      I believe I said it before, but I'll go ahead and say it again anyway...

I can see you'll be a great asset to the community...
      The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
      Very nice work, SansGUI. 8)

I had a similar idea a few weeks ago, using the higher quality DVD version's video files and compressing them with the old smktools, then running it using the CD version's EXE on a burned data DVD.

I did a similar thing last year for a 1991 mod I did for Grand Prix 2, replacing the standard .smk videos - then it was like an addiction ...I ended up changing the music, menu screens and tracks to match the carsets.

Yes, it really is THAT boring up here in the mountains.
      I had a similar idea a few weeks ago, using the higher quality DVD version's video files and compressing them with the old smktools, then running it using the CD version's EXE on a burned data DVD.
      There is no difference between the executable on the CD or the DVD. You could use either.

i tried to download the files from the sites mentioned but I couln't find the files. Are they still there & if so where what section do I find them
      Lynne
      tex murphy is back in town
      They're still there...do a google search for "gamecopyworld tex murphy overseer" should be the first link.

I found the link but my spyware program blocks as a bad site
      Lynne
      You should be able to go into your Options of your Spyware and put the site in as a Safe Site...
      The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
      okay managed to downlaod files, seems that all the download links were off line, I normally played overseer with virtual drives so I was actually interested mainly in overcoming the crashes in vista.

Well played overseer right through & did not get any crashes what so ever.

normal crashes in overseer - gallery, alcatraz, corridor to boswell's lab all gone.

good work SansGUI
      Would this work for XP as well? I have the cd version.. and would be nice to not have to disc swap...

If I could put the cds onto one dvd, I was thinking about just playing the game in virtual pc on windows 95.
      Thanks plumgas, happy to hear it worked well for you.
      shadow9d9 wrote:Would this work for XP as well? I have the cd version.. and would be nice to not have to disc swap...

If I could put the cds onto one dvd, I was thinking about just playing the game in virtual pc on windows 95.
      My files will work for XP, but the guide was written for Vista. The commands will be different. You can just copy and paste the DATA folder (All of the files from allof the cds) to the correct location on your hard drive.

The guide has been revised to now include instructions for both Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Enjoy

SansGUI,

I used my vista version dvd disk from your patched files & installed under xp as you have stated that it's only the setup that is different between both versions.

Played well under xp except for a static line across the screen. I thought I will change lock video from -1 to 1 just in case & then I get thick coloured lines across the screen unable to see anything but lines. I thought I will set the affinity to one processor but found that was already done. imagecfg does not work, maybe you have already included it.

I cannot get back into overseer now except for these lines. Any idea what the poblem is.
      It must be a video problem under xp, No problem when playing under vista.
      Lynne