Help for dummies

You are NOT going to belive this. I just picked up a used Gateway2000 win95 computer so I can once again play the older games. However, when I fired that baby up it came up in DOS. For the life of me I cannot remember how to get to Windows so I can load the games! Sheesh! What a num-num! Please help me. Thanks!
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I don't know crap about gateways...or anything else for that matter...hmmmm did it give you a c: prompt...maybe you could type windows and hit enter....I don't know...Nilo would be the one to ask..he's the man.
"Some men aren’t looking for anything logical. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”
Why can't you use Dosbox???

Anyway, you say it came up in Dos, you're sure of this, are you getting the C: Prompt???
Windows should load automatically... So are positive that it has Windows on it???

At the C: prompt try typing DIR and see what is on the hard drive... If there is WINDOWS or WIN95 listed, then at the prompt type CD {space} WINDOWS or WIN95 {whichever it happens to be}... The C: prompt should change to resemble what you just typed... The Exe file for Windows should be either WINDOWS or WIN95...

If my tips don't help, my advice would be to go to Nilo's Place and send him an email... He is quite knowledgeable of the older computer commands... Mine is limited and dwindling every day I go without an older computer to mess with...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
If it doesn't have windows how am I supposed to load the games?
You'll have to get your hands on a copy of Windows 95 and install it... eBay if you didn't get Software with the computer...

Who did you get it from??? If they sold it to you telling you that it had windows and it doesn't, then you should try to get the copy of Windows from them, after all they owe it to you if they sold it to you advertising that it had Windows...

Did you do the DIR command in dos??? Nothing saying Windows showed up???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

No, nothing stating windows. There has to be a way to install from DOS. Maybe???
Only if the Game is compatible with Dos... Some games are designed to Run in Dos, but Require Windows to install, don't ask me why, I've never figured it out either...

At this point my suggestion would be to go over to Nilo's site and shoot him an email with your problem...

if it's just in dos...and you've got the c: prompt up...try putting in the first UAKM disk, then typing install and hitting enter...if it runs the install program..then you should be good to go and could probably run other dos games as such...still kinda screwy about it not loading windows right away
"Some men aren’t looking for anything logical. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”
When you boot your PC you should be seeing the following message: "Starting Windows 95...". If you're not, then someone has changed its configuration to boot directly into DOS. But you should still be able to run Windows 95, just type the WIN command at the DOS prompt and press the Enter key as shown here: C> WIN and press Enter. If that doesn't work, try rebooting your PC, and immediately start tapping on the F8 key until the "Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu" appears. You'll have 7 options. Under the 7 options you'll need to "Enter a choice:" Choose number 1 (Normal) and press Enter.

Did you get a Windows 95 cd with the the PC?
Nilo

Website - http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

Email - [email protected]
See..that's why I love you man...you got all the answers! When I become rich, you're coming and working for me on all my computer system needs...it'll be great!
Bafitis wrote:Why can't you use Dosbox???
Because he's using an old Gateway with Win95? Win95A and Win95 OSR2 releases have MS-DOS versions 7.00 and 7.10 respectively.

If it starts at the prompt, try typing WIN to get into Windows.

Jim we need more info - especially sound hardware.
In case you need a copy of Win 95 Jim, I've got one on CD, still sealed. Pristine. :mrgreen:
Let me know.
Wasn't UAKM and PD Dos games anyway? I know overseer was Win.

Anyhow, good luck, that stuff gives me a headache.
From Nilo down, he has already done DIR command and says there is nothing that says Win or Windows or Win95 on the Hard Drive...

Jen wrote:In case you need a copy of Win 95 Jim, I've got one on CD, still sealed. Pristine. :mrgreen:
Let me know.
Wasn't UAKM and PD Dos games anyway? I know overseer was Win.

Anyhow, good luck, that stuff gives me a headache.
Pandora actually had the ability run in either Win95 or DOS, but I recall always having better luck going through DOS.
Wow! You guys (and gal) are the greatest!

The game runs, I have sound, and everything is almost OK. For some reason the computer locks up after playing for about 10 minutes or so. Ugh!

Also, no Win 95 on this computer; just DOS 6.0. Jen, I will send you a PM for the CD.

Thanks, everyone!