Captain's Log: Supplemental

Sorry to leave you hanging, Jen! And I just noticed that a few other questions trickled in later.

First things first. It took awhile, but I managed to get Chris to find his fedora and take a look inside it. It is manufactured lovingly by Goorin of California, made of Lite Felt, size XL.

BJYMAN

Our VR engine was great at the time, but it was designed to run in DOS on old systems, so we'd probably be better off starting over. More importantly, I don't know if a full 3D world would be our main priority at this point.

Here is our business mailing address:

1352 West 75 North
Centerville, UT 84014
ATTN: Tex Murphy

ROCKEFELLER

1. I've read all of Jen's stories and I think they're great. It's interesting to have created some characters and then read about them in a totally different light. Jen takes them in new and interesting directions and, clearly, she's a very talented writer. I think my favorite is still her first story. When I finished reading it, I had the same reaction I hear from people who read my stuff: I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

2. I don't know what we'll do for E3 specifically, only that it's often the best time to get in touch with other people in the industry. Ideally, we'd like to have a playable demo of our game finished by then so we can shop it around (unless, of course, we get a deal done before E3).

3. Back in the day (remember, this was before Windows was standard issue), we had to create most of the technology from the ground up. XNA Studio Express is just the latest and greatest tool that would make creating a Tex Murphy type game much easier. So, yes, I think XNA could potentially be a viable platform.

Incidentally, I harbor no ill will toward Microsoft whatsoever. They were great to me personally and I enjoyed working for them. In fact, they left the door open for me to come back whenever I want and I could take them up on it someday. The fiasco with the rights was the fault of Access Software's leadership, who threw them in the deal without much forethought. And, trust me, they've been haunted by this ever since!

AND, FINALLY...

A number of you made comments about the Radio Theater episodes. First of all, we're so glad you enjoyed them...which is why we made them to begin with! I don't know how marketable an audio book version of the episodes would be - you have to know quite a bit about the Tex Murphy saga to get most of the references and humor (not to mention the plot!). Also, there are a few performances that weren't quite up to snuff, though god bless the people who contributed their voices without getting a penny of compensation! (OK, we had to buy Suzanne (Chelsee) lunch...).

That's all for now, folks. I'll let you know as soon as we have any noteworthy news regarding our new game. And we'll be sure to make the playable demo available to you as soon as possible!

Happy trails,

Aaron
The Radio Theater was indeed enjoyable! Not only because of what it was, but what it implied!

Thank you for keeping us close. I for one appreciate it, alot! Looking forward to more news!

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
http://www.goorin.com/ i had a look at the fedora's, but i can't see tex's one :)
Thanks for the replies and for keeping us updated.

I emailed Goorin to see if they could help us track the model down or give us some info if a similar hat pops up on eBay. I'll post a reply (on a new thread assuming this one is locked by then) if I hear anything constructive from them.
David
I have a small question, the question Thread was Locked though...

Why don't I see any Posts from Chris Jones???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Sweet thanks AC for ansering our last quistions even thougth mine was big time late as usual yeah it would be hard translating it into a book series without all the background information. Ohh well i can dream at least.
Live is too short to waste it make sure its with the one u love !
MAIL : [email protected]
Thanks for the replies Aaron ~

~ I know Jen will be ecstatic to hear you read her stuff :D

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
Aaron - Thanks for the info. Bafitis - Aaron and Chris share the same name so to speak. So maybe the C in AC is Chris.
AC wrote:First things first. It took awhile, but I managed to get Chris to find his fedora and take a look inside it. It is manufactured lovingly by Goorin of California, made of Lite Felt, size XL.

Aaron
Merci beaucop!
And... Dexter is a very cool show. Curse where I live, no Showtime. Well, Season 2 DVD's are in Sept. I shudder to think about Dexter on network TV. CBS??? Bah.

Unless someone knows a Google video or Youtube listing. No bit-torrenting or P2P for me, thanks.
Dexter is pure awesomeness! I love following what that wacky serial killer is up to every week :D

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
The Fedora is a ONE Of A KIND... lol We'll just have to live with that...

Though I know a place here in Maryland that might be able to Duplicate it... I plan on taking several different Pictures of different points of view of Tex and showing them this weekend... I'll let you know what I find out...

The More Pictures the better, so any view, be it side ways, back, front, above, any view of the Hat will be helpful in the recreation of it, if it's possible... There is a company about 10 minutes from me that claim they can make anything, so if you send me the pictures I will take them with me...

My email should be accessible through the button at the buttom, but if it isn't just send them to me at

[email protected]

Thanks...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I don't know what we'll do for E3 specifically, only that it's often the best time to get in touch with other people in the industry.
E3 will be a hard choice as it has been changing a lot lately. Its more geared towards Industry presentations - however was condemned by the presses last year. It'll be interesting to see the effects of that on the convention this year and in the years to come. GDC might also be a good idea for you guys too as the industry meets there often, this year's has just come to an end with EA claiming Monopoly over the industry and the Casual gamer market booming, thats what we learned from GDC this year. Plus you'll get a chance to meet consumers at GDC unlike E3 which is strictly Industry at present so thats always a plus. But good luck with your decisions.
Incidentally, I harbor no ill will toward Microsoft whatsoever. They were great to me personally and I enjoyed working for them. In fact, they left the door open for me to come back whenever I want and I could take them up on it someday. The fiasco with the rights was the fault of Access Software's leadership, who threw them in the deal without much forethought. And, trust me, they've been haunted by this ever since!
Don't feel bad about the rights, Microsoft decided not to do anything with them which was annoying and brought the franchise to a stand still - thats why I blame them as they had a choice to use the IP and chose not to do anything with it, its annoying when companies do that.. (Eg. EA not using any of Bullfrog's or Microprose's IP is a great shame on the industry and I'd argue a main reason for all the bad press they've been getting recently)

I agree that the rights should never have been sold, and I have obtained a valuable lesson from your experience AC to always ensure I have control over my Intellectual Property, I'm being very cautious of that once I start making my own games. Microsoft would have opened up many doors for you, just as THQ and 2K has done for me. You always have to respect your employers in this industry as I've discovered.

Its cool to see you have no issues with Microsoft you'll no doubt deal with them again so keep that relation going strong. Even then this "games for windows" thing they are pushing seems to be the only way to get your games on Vista and I heard they are discontinuing XP in 2009. XNA is therefore Ideal for you in that regard as Vista is pure evil. (Sadly that means no love for Mac users :()

The radio show was excellent when I discovered that it existed it was just an OMFG moment because that cliff hanger ending was resolved (which scared the crap out of me btw :D). At least it didn't end like the Sopranos Ending *cuts to black* :D

Thanks for the update Aaron