CAPRICORNs Demise...

At some point during gameplay in either UAKM or Pandora (Pandora, I believe) I remember reading somewhere (in a memo?) that CAPRICORN was blown up in an alleged terrorist attack or something similar, killing several if not most of or all the employees including Wanda Peck. I think this information is given during one of the few references to the Crusade in Pandora, though I'm not entirely sure. Does anyone remember this information or where it was found?

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
Wow, I don't remember that part. Good find rockefeller!! I wonder if anyone can remember the exact article and is able to post it up.

-Cub. =o)
Actually, the bombing was performed by the Chameleon prior to the story experienced in Under A Killing Moon. It was the destruction of CAPRICORN that left The Colonel no one to turn to for assistance in the case but Eva Schanzee, who was abducted after being exposed as a mole in GRS, which then led him to confide in Tex, the one person he could trust to do the right thing, no matter the consequences (remember Tex & the Colonel's back story). I think it's a computer file at GRS that brings these facts to light (it's been a while).

Hammerhead
Aha! So there we have it! When I first thought of this my first feeling was that I had read it in UAKM, but I blew this off since I thought CAPRICORN was still around during that time because of Eva Schanzee. Thank you for clarifying this :D

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

Yes, in the UAKM novel 90% of Capricorn operatives were being taken out by the Crusade, and the LA building was bombed. Even the poor fellow that told Tex about it got captured.
But poor Wanda Peck dead??? I shall not believe it! (cue dramatic eye roll) ....at least not yet.

I figured there was enough (imho) left behind to rebuild. Both for CAPRICORN, and the Crusade.
I'm gonna be needing a little proof that's she's dead.
:wink:
I may have read about Wanda's death in Pandora, though I wouldn't know where to look. Does anyone remember any allusions to The Crusade, CAPRICORN, or Wanda Peck in Pandora?

There are quite a few differences as I'm sure you've noticed between the novel and the game, ie in the novel universe Paul DuBois is a GRS insider who meets with Tex and shares a bunch of info before being abducted by the Crusade, while in the game universe he is merely found out by the Crusade to be an insider at GRS by GRS and poisoned with the virus. As these two universes are different, I'm sure that even if Wanda dies in one, she will be alive in another...?

Bests, Rockefeller 8)

As far as I remember - we don't even get to hear about Wanda Peck in the UAKM novel, so who knows if she's still working for Capricorn at that time. I only seem to remember Wanda Peck from the Overseer game which - as we all know - goes back to the Mean Streets case (prior to UAKM), so she might not even have been with Capricorn at the time of the bombing.

But - one thing that's different from the game and the book is that it seems to be Alaynah Moore who gets killed in the bombing of the Capricorn building in the book whereas she stays alive in the game.
Of course the Book!!

Been a while since I read that too, but yes I remember Jen.

-Cub. =o)
I so love the back story of UAKM :D that game has everything (except non-linearity queue Pandora! :D)
Just to add a little more confusion to all of this.

The actress who played Countess Renier in UAKM was the same one who played Wanda Peck in Overseer.

Since the events in Overseer took place before UAKM, maybe Wanda Peck switched sides after Overseer and became a double-agent to infiltrate and destroy CAPRICORN prior to UAKM.

(In which case, she's probably still alive and us guys can still hope for a date.)
Ok, normally I adhere to the rule that whatever happens in private messaging, stays in private messaging....BUT....this was too funny and insightful to pass up. I too, had been persueing the novels, and even though I had read this very same line, it passed right over my head.

I present to you, the most awesome catch ever...by Rockefeller.

rockefeller wrote:
But I DID find a discrepancy in the UAKM novel:

p.37:
Resigned to waiting, I reached for the TV remote. I didn‟t have an idiot box in my office, and I hadn‟t intentionally watched television since Nickelodeon had replaced Ren and Stimpy with Three‟s Company. As I surfed restlessly, special news reports kept popping up with earnest-looking correspondents describing a bombing in Los Angeles. There was nothing especially newsworthy about a bombing, especially in LA, but this one had obliterated CAPRICORN headquarters. I‟d heard about CAPRICORN, but had always been under the impression that it was just another left-wing agency, concerned with suing the NRA and making frantic speeches laced with sound bites and peppered with alliteration.

So it's a little funny that even though Tex had previously worked with CAPRICORN on the Mean Streets / Overseer case, that he now didn't even really know about them...? :roll:

Ha Ha...

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
Maybe the over indulgence of bourbon affected Tex's memory.

Also, in the UAKM novel Tex meets with Lucas Pernell, a man, unlike Lucius Pernell the woman in the game.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Isn't Lucas Pernell investigating the Black Arrow Killer in the Pandora novel? And her name is - as far as I remember - Lucia Pernell. Anyway - just thought I'd correct a few minor stuff :)
netroam wrote:Isn't Lucas Pernell investigating the Black Arrow Killer in the Pandora novel? And her name is - as far as I remember - Lucia Pernell. Anyway - just thought I'd correct a few minor stuff :)
Jim was referring to the UAKM novel, where the character's name is indeed Lucas Pernell and is a male.

-Cub. =o)
Also, Dr. Paul, the countess Renier was not a real person, it was the Chameleon in disguise.

And Jim misspelled Lucia as Lucius, which is what Netroam was pointing out.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!