UAKM and my Tex-quest

FINALLY! It's been damn near 11 years, but I finally found and finished UAKM. I had a ton of trouble getting it to work on my WinXP box, so I opted for my boat anchor P2-400mHz running Win98.

What a great game! I still remember seeing it on the shelves of Best Buy back in my college years and not being able to buy it because it required, get this, a cd-rom drive!

Anyway, I thought I'd share the news. Next up in my Tex-quest are Mean Streets or MM. Whichever I can get running first. Anyone here have experience getting either working under Win98?
Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum work under MS-DOS.

Alex Bark.
I have a computer that runs Win98, and was able to get both MM and MS to run. I think that you can right-click the icon and there is some type of "run in MS-DOS" command (but I could be way off). I'll have to check when I get home and see how I have it set up. Some here who is more computer-savvy may know off the top of their heads, but if not I'll figure it out and get back to you.
Wouldn't it be better to buy an old 486 (for 1$) ?
And also a good sound card with a wave table (midi) :)
Ok sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, but here's how I got MM and MS to work on my Win98 computer. If this works for you then thank Cubase, because he's the one who told me to do this in order to get UAKM to work on my machine.

On my computer I have all the MS and MM files installed on my hard drive. I don't know if it makes a difference if you have some on disk.

Anyway, here are the steps:

1. Create a shortcut to the .exe file (on my computer these files are MM.exe and MS.exe) on your desktop.

2. Right-click the shortcut and go to Properties, select the Program tab, and then click the Advanced button.

3. At the top of the Advanced screen there should be an option to "Prevent MS-DOS-based programs from detecting Windows". Check the box next to this option.

4. That's it. Now you should be able to double-click the shortcut and the program will act like it's in DOS while still using your Windows drivers.

If this doesn't work, then I think some people have had luck using DOS-box or a similar program, but I don't really have any experience in that area.

Hope this helps.
I'm still undergoing my quest for Win 3.1 so I can play the games in their native environments. Anyone who has it that might want to share, feel free to let me know...