Tex Box

Hi all

First time out here but been with you all a long time. Meant to join in long ago and thought with the launch of this wonderful new board what better time to start.

So after years of hunting finally traked down boxed originals of Mean Streets and and extra copy of Martian Mem. Does anyone know what the original release boxes looked liked? Not the art work as Im sure we all know those all to well but the shape and style of box. Trying to figure out if I have completed my collection or if there are still elusive rare copies I dont even know about so was hoping the vast collective Tex know how here could help.

1) I now have two MS :D , the first is a 5.2" floppy floppy disc version old style PC sized box but has a book cover like flap. Was this the original release of Tex? The second is a regular top and bottom box 3.5" floppy disc set. Did this come out the same time or after the 5.2" set?

2) I now also have two MM. First is another book cover flap kinda box 3.5 floppy set. Think thats what throws me off and makes me wonder what versision came out when? Second is a selaed MM 3.5 floppy set with one of those slide off sleve things round a regular plain white/brown cardboard box and has a gold adventure game of the year award sticker so assumed this was a much later release.

Any help in figuring out this time line would be hugely appreciated and I hope a nice addition here as I dont recall ever seeing this topic before. Also hope you all understand what Im rambling about but if not then lets get this conversation going

And remember "All people who generalise are idots"

Mac =)
I hate to tell you but you might have not actually gotten what you think are orginials. Of late the game collecting scene has been hit with a big blow because of what are called "slash" releases.

Basicly about 10 years ago a company in MN got the rights to sell all kinds of older games such as the first two Tex games, all of the old Sierra, Microprose, SSI, Infocom games. They flooded the market with cheep copies of these games. Today it can be hard for the collector to tell the difference when bidding on ebay.

The best way to determine what version you have is to read through the inserts and if it says anywhere "slash" then you have been had.

Below is a link that gives pictures and much better detail about the slash.

As for alternate versions of the game I dont think there was. Games of that era rarely if ever had different packaging options. Just about the only way you would see a difference with your two games is if you saw a version sold through a international seller like KIXX. I cant confirm it here (I cant access mobygames from work) but if you go to mobygames.com you should be able to check to see if they have record of other types of packaging. They are the largest museum of pc game history and have thousands and thousands of pics of game boxes.

http://www.vintage-sierra.com/slash.html

http://www.mobygames.com
Glad to see you here, Mac. Post often and stay a long while.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Thanks for the info McDonis. Not to worried about being had, anything tex is good enough for me. Dont think the ones I have are those slash releases except for that sealed one which I was pretty sure was a re-release anyway. The ones I do have still have all the origial leaflets and manuals emblazened with access software logos. Even has a little detective note paper sheet thats never been used so pretty sure they are original. If I can figure out how to post pics on here then maybe we can get some opinions and input from others who have originals too. Had a look at those sites but they only go back as far as UAKM but thanks for that, useful to know.

Also thanks to Jim for the welcome, feel like Ive officialy arrived now :)
Jim the old guy wrote:Glad to see you here, Mac. Post often and stay a long while.
Rinse, repeat, improve? Yep, glad to see have you here, Mac. Are we at 100 members yet? :P

As for figuring out a timeline, I'd just check for the basic release dates first, and they hope someone a little more Tex savvy comes in with the specifics.

~Keck
Mac wrote:Does anyone know what the original release boxes looked liked? Not the art work as Im sure we all know those all to well but the shape and style of box.
Did you know that there were two different box arts for the game? One is identical to the intro screen and the other is something completely different.
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed
-Bob Dylan
While we're talking about old-school Tex, does anyone have Windows 3x that they could copy into their computer and send me via .zip? I want to setup a 3x box but NOBODY has it...
Andy wrote:While we're talking about old-school Tex, does anyone have Windows 3x that they could copy into their computer and send me via .zip? I want to setup a 3x box but NOBODY has it...
Sheez... I think I have a old... OLD lappy with 3.1 on it. But I have no idea how I am going to get it off there. I think it became the victim of the millenium bug lol!

I have Win 95 (on floppy, although I can almost guarantee that one of the 22 floppies would have corrupted by now) and 98 (on CD), both play the old Tex games fine, without a hitch. So if you can get yur hands on 95 or 98 you will be in the zone!

-Cub. =o)
Andy wrote:While we're talking about old-school Tex, does anyone have Windows 3x that they could copy into their computer and send me via .zip? I want to setup a 3x box but NOBODY has it...
Andy isnt it luky you came by my post. Along with old school Tex I have old school everything. Always been hoarding away original copies and backups of things including windows 3.x. Always got the feeling Id want them or they'd be useful for something eventually. Finally proved right! Get in touch anytime and Id be happy to help you out or anyone ele looking for old anything computer wise :D