Tex Murphy game help

It's been a while since I've played any of the old games, and as of right now, I've been having problems establishing a credit card, so I haven't been able to repurchase (I lost the game in a robbery) The Pandora Directive, or any of the other games for that matter. It's on my list of things to do though ...

However, I wanted to make sure, before I did, that it, and perhaps the other games would play on the current system I have.

Now, as I may have expressed before, I am the least technologically sound out of everyone here, (Yes, Jim, compared to me, you're a software designer) so in so many short words I'll try to explain my predicament.

I rented a computer a few years ago, which was about the same as this one. It's windows XP, and pretty current to today's standards within a few years or so. I tried to get the game to work on that computer, and I could get the setup screen to come on, but not much else would work. The game obviously, being DOS based, needed a DOS host. Now I've heard about Dosbox, and I have it on this computer... but ... how much of a problem do you think I would have getting the game to run on it? I mean, with the sound devices, and everything the TEX games need to run, do I have to be Mr. Wizard to get them to work? Does anybody else run the game(s) on dosbox in windows XP?

And secondly, outside of buying the game on ebay, or amazon or something like that which I need to have a credit card for, is there anyone here who would happen to have the game that would accept a mailed money order, and be kind enough to do business?

Thanks.

Malloy
I'm not fat ... I'm festively plump.
You don't have a Credit Card, Malloy? I thought, you (americans) don't have such problems. Starange...
Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).
Yeah, well we're not all rich hooligans as the propaganda machines may spit out about us. Some of us are poor hooligans, with bad credit ;-)
Now I've heard about Dosbox, and I have it on this computer... but ... how much of a problem do you think I would have getting the game to run on it? I mean, with the sound devices, and everything the TEX games need to run, do I have to be Mr. Wizard to get them to work? Does anybody else run the game(s) on dosbox in windows XP?
I have had no problem getting Pandora to run with Dosbox. I have tried it on several machines of various power levels and it works. If your computer is at least a 1.2 GHz CPU, you shouldn't have a problem. Dosbox emulates the sound cards the game will recognize so that shouldn't be a problem either (be sure to get the latest version, though). In fact, the game will auto-detect the "sound cards" that Dosbox is emulating. I usually select the auto-detected Soundblaster 16 for sound and then select General Midi for music. It works great.

The most difficult part is mounting the drives in Dosbox and that isn't too much of a challenge even for the technically uninclined.

I can't help you with getting the game, though. I only have one copy of each of them. JTOG may be able to help you though.

Once you get the game, if you have trouble setting it up, let me know. I'll make you a usable dosbox config file if you need it.
"Frankie says 'Relax and wear a Hawaiian shirt' ". --Tex Murphy, PI
That is good to hear. I appreciate the info. Now I just gotta lay my hands on the game. I miss that dry witted voice, I swear I do...

I am watching you.
I take pictures.
Be afraid.
:arrow:
"Here's a lil' tidbit our government boys missed..."

mmmmm

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Hey Malloy! Send me an email. I can help you get a game.
[email protected]
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Hey Malloy, why not set up a dual-boot system?

My CPU is currently running with Windows ME and Windows XP on a dual-boot configuration and Windows ME runs UAKM, PD, and Overseer pretty flawlessly.

Besides, it's a great way to enjoy old games. Just change the OS and you're ready to go, no need for DOSBox or any other DOS emulation software that slows down the CPU to a halt. When I'm playing new games I just start my default OS (WinXP) and I'm good to go with that as well.

It's very easy to set up a dual-boot system. First you install the older OS you wish to use and then Windows XP. You need to make sure you install one OS for each partition. If you need to partition the HD, I'd go with Norton PartitionMagic 8, it can get the job done fairly well.

If you wish to go down that path, I'll even walk you through the entire partitioning and dual-booting process step-by-step.
kress wrote:If you wish to go down that path, I'll even walk you through the entire partitioning and dual-booting process step-by-step.
Is there any way to setup a dual boot system with an already partitioned HDD and existing WinXP? ie. without having to do a clean reinstall of XP.
Bren wrote:
kress wrote:If you wish to go down that path, I'll even walk you through the entire partitioning and dual-booting process step-by-step.
Is there any way to setup a dual boot system with an already partitioned HDD and existing WinXP? ie. without having to do a clean reinstall of XP.
Perhaps... the only problem is, the only way to do that it by telling your older OS (when installing) that there are no other OS's on your PC (by installing it on a partition that does not hace XP)... the issue that arises here is you will have you older OS creating a boot.ini file which completely ignores WinXP's boot.ini... so you may have to change your HDD boot settings to tell it to boot back to your XP partition first, then change XP's boot.ini to incorporate your older OS into the boot list choices... then it should work...

But if you want my advice, this is too complex and not worth your time if you can get away with a fresh install.

-Cub. =o)
Mr. Thomas Malloy wrote:Yeah, well we're not all rich hooligans as the propaganda machines may spit out about us. Some of us are poor hooligans, with bad credit ;-)
Malloy, do you think that I believe in propoganda? Americans are "rich hooligans"? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I have a Credit Card, but I am not a hooligan. And I am not rich. My maximum account was
320$. Am I richer than you?
Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).
Bren wrote:Is there any way to setup a dual boot system with an already partitioned HDD and existing WinXP? ie. without having to do a clean reinstall of XP.
Yes, it's possible. I would not recommend it though as it can overwrite your essential WinXP files and you won't be able to boot into WinXP.

The process is a bit more complex, but it generally involves formatting one of your partitions (using FAT32 file system of course). Use PartitionMagic for that. Then you need to copy your WinME/98 .cab files to that partition. Then you boot from a Win98/ME boot disk and you install Win98/ME from your HD.

Then, you use your WinXP CD and start installation under Win98/ME.
When it prompts you to reboot, you need to reboot back into Win98/ME and not into the WinXP setup.

Next, you have to edit the Boot Loader section in the boot.ini file on the FAT32 partition you created. If you use PartitionMagic, you need to install it on your WinME/98 system as well as another installation in WinXP.

As you can see, it's complicated. I'd suggest a clean format, installing Win98/ME first and then WinXP. It's a pretty smooth ride all the way. At any rate, it's much easier than what is described above.
Hey Malloy, why not set up a dual-boot system?

My CPU is currently running with Windows ME and Windows XP on a dual-boot configuration and Windows ME runs UAKM, PD, and Overseer pretty flawlessly.

Besides, it's a great way to enjoy old games. Just change the OS and you're ready to go, no need for DOSBox or any other DOS emulation software that slows down the CPU to a halt. When I'm playing new games I just start my default OS (WinXP) and I'm good to go with that as well.

It's very easy to set up a dual-boot system. First you install the older OS you wish to use and then Windows XP. You need to make sure you install one OS for each partition. If you need to partition the HD, I'd go with Norton PartitionMagic 8, it can get the job done fairly well.

If you wish to go down that path, I'll even walk you through the entire partitioning and dual-booting process step-by-step.
Kress, that is a terrific idea. I would also have recommended it. However, there are some things that may be a problem with this scenario. Since Malloy mentioned he is not technically inclined, he most likely has a standard off the shelf PC. This means he most likely got a set of restore discs instead of an installable copy of XP. Secondly, he most likely does not have a copy of Win98/ME laying around so he would have to acquire one. Both of these would be purchases with money Malloy states he doesn't have. Whereas DosBox is free so, IMHO, it is better choice (and it is not difficult to set up). Of course, he could acquire "backup" copies of XP and ME (or 98 ) but I know you wouldn't be suggesting anything illegal. :lol:
"Frankie says 'Relax and wear a Hawaiian shirt' ". --Tex Murphy, PI
Gunslinger wrote:Of course, he could acquire "backup" copies of XP and ME (or 98 ) but I know you wouldn't be suggesting anything illegal. :lol:
Well, I'm a firm believer in "don't ask, don't tell", so I'm certainly not one to judge if one were to "acquire" such copies for his own personal use.

Besides, there are other ways to "acquire" copies. Say you have a friend with the original CDs and you just borrow them for a few days. In the process, you "acquire" those copies for yourself by use of a device famously known as a CD/DVD-Burner... :twisted:

But hey, you won't get anything "illegal" out of me... :wink: