UAKM for Windows - Teaser

Hi everyone,

I finally got some time to continue my investigation of the old UAKM file formats, and just wanted to share my progress. Most location data is now decoded, so I've put together an exe to walk around in Tex' office.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gld5toui8 ... teaser.zip

Just unpack it to your UAKM folder and run it. Move around with arrow keys or WASD, use mouse to look around. No clipping, and page up/down or E/Q allows you to float through ceiling/floor.

Disclaimer: There is very little error handling implemented, and I'm new to DX11, so it might not work for everyone.

If you really want to check the other locations, just rename the appropriate file to TEXOFF.AP. Starting position will obviously be wrong, but it should work (possibly even with Pandora location files).

I've still got a lot left to figure out, how objects in the location map to scripts, location animations (doors & drawers), all the special modules (Crime Link/computers, safes, ferrelette, stasis etc) and script commands, so the next update may not be this year.

Baby steps...

-SAJ
Sounds amazing! Looking forward to it!
I have just uploaded a new version.

A couple of things were easier than expected, other things still elude me.

WinTex teaser 2

It is now possible to look at things, open drawers and doors (you can exit to main street, go and speak with Chelsee), and pick stuff up. Right click while pointer is over interactive items to cycle through actions. No inventory yet, though. Should probably look into that next...

Still no clipping. I have found algorithms that work, but the logic around them need to be modified to allow sliding along a clipping path.

Btw, you can press space to skip video/audio, there's no need to sit through the title anim and new game anims every time.

Feedback/constructive criticism is appreciated.

-SAJ
None of the EXEs work.

-Cub. =o)
Hi Cubase,

Which Windows version are you running? Are you getting an error message, or it just doesn't do anything? Is it a virtual or physical machine?

All my machines have developer environments installed, could be one or more extra dlls are required. I'll compile a version with more error handling.

-SAJ
Both versions you supplied in this thread. Immediately upon launch, it's the usual "This program has stopped working" error, and it crashes. Windows 10 Professional.

-Cub. =o)
OK, I have added a tiny bit of error handling and uploaded the new file.
Same link.

Thanks for trying and reporting, Cubase.

-SAJ
Another update. This version has the Crime Link computer, basic inventory, basic travel and the original font.

Mouse wheel will cycle held item, 'i' opens inventory (drag/drop to combine) and 't' opens travel screen.

Same link

I have neglected to mention that I'm testing this against the GOG version, where the file hierarchy is different from the CD version.

-SAJ
saj wrote:I have just uploaded a new version.

A couple of things were easier than expected, other things still elude me.

WinTex teaser 2

It is now possible to look at things, open drawers and doors (you can exit to main street, go and speak with Chelsee), and pick stuff up. Right click while pointer is over interactive items to cycle through actions. No inventory yet, though Rachat de crédit immobilier. Should probably look into that next...

Still no clipping. I have found algorithms that work, but the logic around them need to be modified to allow sliding along a clipping path.

Btw, you can press space to skip video/audio, there's no need to sit through the title anim and new game anims every time.

Feedback/constructive criticism is appreciated.

-SAJ
We are eager to know the rest of the story.
I didn't realize it had been this long since my last update. Anyway, I have had some time to continue the project over the last 6 months, to the point where it is approaching release-worthiness. The latest version can be found here:

WinTex v0.9

All modules should now be implemented (but are not necessarily 100% yet), and the game should be playable from start to finish.

WinTex is using the original save game format, so you should be able to load your old saved games, or alternate between the DOSBox and Windows versions.

Stuff to still fix or implement
  • Composite sprites (some sprites will look obviously wrong)
  • Clipping/wall slide needs work in edge cases
  • Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can tell me what I'm doing wrong with MIDI playback (timer/delay issue?)
  • 1 unimplemented script code, has something to do with Ardo
  • Configurable controls
  • General cleanup (resizing, text clipping, memory leaks, etc)
  • Auto save?
  • Player selection?
  • Hint system?
Also, I've had to hard-code modifications to the geometry, as some surfaces lie in the same plane covering each other. There could be more corrections necessary.

Again, developed for the GOG version which has a mostly flat file structure (all AP files in base folder, saves in GAMES and player data in PLAYERS).

While in 3D mode
  • WASD or arrow keys to move, mouse to look around
  • E/Q for elevation
  • Hold shift to run
  • Left mouse button to execute action
  • Right mouse button to cycle actions
  • Mouse wheel to cycle current inventory item
  • I - Inventory
  • T - Travel
  • ESC - To main menu
Comments/criticism still welcomed.

-SAJ
Cool! I run a mac these days so don't often get the chance to check, but I've downloaded and will do at some point.
David
Stunning stuff! I've wanted to do something like this for so long, but so many other things got in the way...

A couple of little suggestion for the menu screen - don't allow Esc to close the program, as it's relatively easy to double-press from within the game and close the whole app.

Also, when in the menu, release the mouse if possible so that you can move it over the whole desktop to allow for moving the window around. You should only need to "capture" the mouse when there's 3D navigation going on.
Thanks for the feedback, MD. I'll see if I can include those changes in the next release (no idea when that will be).

-SAJ
The UI changes are definitely in the right direction. But when I "look" at an object and hear Tex's comments, I cannot move until Tex finishes talking. The original game lets you go back to movement mode while you hear Tex. Some of Tex's dialog is long, so you may want to let the player move while he is talking. Modernizing the controls and UI of the game is definitely welcome. The original game's UI was pretty advanced for its time, but now it looks and feels dated.
kevin_y wrote:...But when I "look" at an object and hear Tex's comments, I cannot move until Tex finishes talking. The original game lets you go back to movement mode while you hear Tex. Some of Tex's dialog is long, so you may want to let the player move while he is talking.
You can click on the left mouse button to skip any media (including startup Access video), I suppose I could also add 'space' as a valid skip function. Unfortunately I can't easily allow movement while media is playing, it is a limitation of the way the scripts work (a script currently playing media could lead to a new location being loaded after media is finished, moving about could result in another location loaded as well).