Fallout and Tex Murphy

Last edited by kevin_y on December 31, 2015 • 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy holidays to all from an infrequent poster here. I don't know if this is an interesting topic or not, but I find it interesting that two of my favorite game franchises, the Fallout series and the Tex Murphy adventure series, have a number of similarities. Both feature the name "RobCo" prominently in the games. Both series are set in the post-apocalyptic U.S. Fallout is set around 2078 after the "great war", while the Tex Murphy games take place around 2042 after "World War III". Both series feature anachronistic technologies and references to early 20th century culture. Fallout games have old-fashioned tube TVs and primitive computer terminals, while Tex Murphy games have fax machines and many references to film noir, hard-boiled detectives, and the likes. In both series, "Robco" is the maker of many of the gadgets used by the protagonist. All these are conincidences, of course. But wouldn't it be nice that if a Fallout game is ever to be set in San Francisco (where the Tex Murphy games are set), that you would bump into an old-age Tex Murphy himself? Or in a future Tex Murphy game (if one is to be made), that you would encounter an underground Fallout vault? Btw, the co-founder of Obsidian, the company that made Fallout New Vegas (the game right before the latest, recent release Fallout 4), is also named Chris Jones!
Very weird coincidences, I agree!
One Mean, Green-Eyed Fitch.
And of course, both franchises feature mutants as the unfortunate survivors of a nuclear holocaust. In Fallout, they are called "ghouls" and "supermutants". Just like Tex Murphy, in FO you mingle with the ghouls and become a part of their struggle. The first Fallout game came out in 1997, around the time Pandora and Overseer were released. And the Fallout series also suffered a long hiatus: there was a 10-year gap between the 2nd and 3rd Fallout games. The rights to the franchise also changed hands, just like what happened to the Tex Murphy series.

I don't know if either Bethesda or Big Finish Games would ever entertain the thought of some kind of Fallout/Tex Murphy crossover.
Here is the Robco facility as seen in Fallout 3, located near the Washington DC area. Maybe you'll find a spare Alien Abductor there.

And here is a picture of the illustrious founder of Robco Industries, Robert House, as seen in Fallout New Vegas. He lived during the early 21st century, the same period in which the Tex Murphy games are set (though he would be a bit young). Without spoiling anything, it turns out that House was and is a complete nutjob. He surely would be the right person to create all those wacky Robco items seen in the Tex Murphy games.