Unexpected Find

Well here's something that I didn't expect. I was going through old video game stuff and I was going through my collection and looking up Nintendo Power Glove stuff and it led to an old VHS tape about it. I found it on YouTube and was surprised to hear the music sample used for the song at the beginning. Take a a listen:

http://youtu.be/JGSNr1mykiI

It's about 15 seconds in, but I found it amusing that they used THIS particular sound sample for a completely unrelated product.

Also, it's a little quiet around here lately. Where'd everybody go?
Woah. I love finding out stuff like this.

Ok, so both Mean Streets and the Power Glove came out in 1989.

So was the music sample some kind of public domain thing that was just sitting around on the BBS's at the time?

Can somebody answer this?
Wow, that totally is Mean Streets! :shock: Hmm, the credits don't name a composer, so it could have been made by the same person, or sampled from the game. Or not. Who knows?

Electron Stu wrote: Also, it's a little quiet around here lately. Where'd everybody go?
Our thirst for Tex has been slaked. For now.
If a new book or game gets announced, things will likely heat up again.
I'm pretty confident the Mean Streets theme was composed by the guys at ACCESS and whoever made the video outright stole it. Back then there was a lot of "borrowing" of game music/sounds that no one ever cracked down on. Everyone sort of turned a blind eye. Some of Nintendo's own games had borrowed music in it. They've tried to change it in recent years but it did happen. I think the Earthbound game was full of it. Super Metroid had sounds from Godzilla films and even the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time had samples taken from elsewhere. Whether or not that was all licensed is a whole other thing. If you're interested just poke around the internet and do a little research about it. It's rather fascinating actually.

As for the board, I'd figured everyone disappeared to play Tesla and once they had their fill didn't come back. However, I'd thought we'd stuck around here for so long to hang out with one another as well, maybe I was wrong? Has it even come up that the Unofficial Tex Murphy Board is going on 10 years old this year? Are we doing anything about it? Happy Bday UTM?
I haven't seen you on lately, but I'm a bit latecoming here. So I guess that makes ME the stranger. :)

Nice to meet you, by the way. Just like in Hitchiker's Guide, I'm mostly harmless. Chandler & I have had some fun discussions here, but yes it's been a bit quiet here lately. More's the pity.
One Mean, Green-Eyed Fitch.
If you count the original UTM board that used EZboard software, it's well over 10 years.