To BEta or not to BEta...

Joel wrote: Obviously, I want the best quality, most complete gaming experience from this. For this reason, am I better to hold off?
The real issue here is about BETAs being used as incentives in general. Beta testing is job, not a game. BETA testing is something a pro is supposed to do. Some people think that Kickstarters should not even offer BETAs as incentives because of that.

I see what they mean, but I disagree because I can't wait to see this game and I really want to help make it great. In a way, you're helping Kickstart the game with your money and your labor. I'm OK with that :)
I'm in for the BETA too. I think its good to give it out to a small group of people to test on different computers. Different machines give different glitches, and its best to have all of that ironed out before the game goes gold.
"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net
I'll have to look up again whether my pledge level even included beta access. It would be cool to download the beta version just to say I had it.

I really don't like the prospect of playing a game that might have critical flaws, but on the other hand, it's hard to forget all the glitches and crashes and incompatibilities some of us had to deal with in the old games.

Resisting the temptation to play it would be tough enough as it is, but I'd be even more worried about stumbling across a spoiler somewhere on these forums or the Big Finish forums once the beta is out. But then again, that's going to be an issue either way because some no-good @#%$! is going to post a complete walkthrough on YouTube on launch day.

I was thinking I would go hide in a hole until well after the release so I could take my time playing through the game without any spoilers, but if the beta is only a small part of the game, you guys might have talked me into either beta testing (if it's one of my rewards) or being envious of those of you who will be beta testing.