What a tragedy.....

lestat666 wrote: I guess what we can all agree on is ..... this was terrible.
-Cub.
Gun control isn't even the real issue. At the root of all of these things there exists one problem that should be solved first and foremost.

Parents should not be afraid to talk to their children about uncomfortable subjects.

If this problem goes to far, children become overlooked, alienated and socially awkward creatures. Some go on to become alright adults, some do not. And some of these end up taking their own lives in a spectacular fashion so that they will be remembered. Yes, they will be remembered as monsters, but they still feel it's better than nothing.

Other problems caused by parents not taking a parent's responsibility is a society that over-censor everything. We now call it "the f-word", because parents do not want to explain copulation to their offspring.

Parenting is at the very heart of the issue. It is the root problem. Trying to regulate guns in a country like America where the 2nd amendment has been so ingrained into hearts and minds for generations, wouldn't really solve anything, and would instead create a whole new slew of problems instead.

That's just my two cents, though. Don't spend it all in one place.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Oh yes I agree. How someone is brought up is what should be looked at. Not just at home, but also in schools. I know they're costs to consider, but schools should add psychiatrists/counselors to their staff. And instead of suspending someone, make the counseling mandatory. While I have my own views on how to idealize I'm not against closing this Pandora's Box here.
Well, fallout from this event has given birth to the first time I've ever been told I deserve to be shot because of my views. Don't worry, it wasn't on this board. I just feel a need to bring it up. That's a pretty evil thing to say to anyone, don't you think? Well, all I have to say is this.

*Scottish accent* "Well I'll take the high road and you'll take the low road, and I'll get to Scotland befor-r-r-e ya."

Furthermore! I am now an Irishman with a new kitten. Oh yah, thas roigh, Kitty, yer a pretty saight, ain't ya."

This is me "coping".
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
I can't stand watching the news during such events, for the sheer amount of rubbish coming out of everybody's mouths.

Yet I'm curious. Has the topic of videogame and movies been brought up yet? Such a great scapegoat when one needs to lure the spotlight away from important issues.
Part-Time Nomad
Frank wrote:Yet I'm curious. Has the topic of videogame and movies been brought up yet? Such a great scapegoat when one needs to lure the spotlight away from important issues.
I heard it for the first time {in a serious manner} Monday night/early Tuesday morning while flipping through the news channels...

I find the fact that they even bring it up hilarious... This question comes from the Media who does nothing but broadcast 90% of Drama and Violence and they are going to ask if Violent Video Games are the problem...
Maybe the problem is the fact that you can't watch the news without hearing about Murder, Rape, Shootings, Stabbings, or some other crime...

They canceled the Premier of Quentin Tarantino's movie Django Unchained, along with a couple of others... Not sure if they will have an Official Premier or just release it... It's due out here in the states on Christmas Day...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I am going to lose it if anyone tries to blame video games and movies.

That argument holds no water as only someone who is mentally unstable in the first place would be affected this way by a movie or video game.

I guess the same argument could be used for gun control.... but the fundamental difference is that access to a movie never directly killed anyone.....

but again..... changing this mentality where it is ingrained in a culture is next to impossible.....
and could cause quite a few problems.....

Trying to do something like that led to a civil war in the US and took 100s of years after this war to fully change peoples thinking on a wide scale.
Matt
I feel like Chelsee Bando's argument at the end of Overseer applies here to a good extent. But perhaps that game has skewed the way I see the government.
lestat666 wrote:I am going to lose it if anyone tries to blame video games and movies.
Too late: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/game ... 2bo3w.html

-Cub.
And so Joe Liberman proves himself an idiot, while Warren Spector shows he's sensible and full of sense, despite some similarities in their positions. Is there any hope for politicians and law makers? :P
Part-Time Nomad