I Think I Finally Found It

Frogacuda wrote:Access never really had much marketing sense. I hope they've learned a bit since then, I want to see the new game reach more than just surviving Tex stalwarts.
Yeah I can't even remember how I found Pandora actually... Guess I just stumbled upon it in a store again (don't think I got it brand new but on sale or 2nd hand). In the Reddit QandA during the Kickstarter they admitted for Pandora:
We weren't very marketing savvy, which I'm not at all ashamed to admit.
Hopefully they can budget hiring some experienced game marketing services / agents.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Sai wrote:
Frogacuda wrote:Access never really had much marketing sense. I hope they've learned a bit since then, I want to see the new game reach more than just surviving Tex stalwarts.
Yeah I can't even remember how I found Pandora actually... Guess I just stumbled upon it in a store again (don't think I got it brand new but on sale or 2nd hand). In the Reddit QandA during the Kickstarter they admitted for Pandora:
We weren't very marketing savvy, which I'm not at all ashamed to admit.
Hopefully they can budget hiring some experienced game marketing services / agents.
I hope this gets seen by the Big Finish folks, cause sadly, it's true. And I think they are dropping the ball as we speak. :(
It is a bit odd about Chris & Aaron re: marketing. For example, until Fedora, I had never heard of Tru-golf.
Thing is, Aaron knows the marketing machine fairly well now, being Creative Director of some of the Sims expansions for so long, and in the belly of EA. :mrgreen: I've been seeing Supernatural ads on TV lately (very cool). And I've seen him do the junkets, big fan events, etc. He's got the skills.

Trugolf is all Chris.
I bet EA have their own dedicated marketing department who design and develop the advertisements such as the TV ads and deal with scoping out game events then booking a place for a spokesperson to attend (e.g. Aaron as Creative Director to talk about design / development of the game itself).

So he may not have direct involvement with EA's marketing. But perhaps he now knows some contacts and what is needed. A TV ad would probably be out of the budget but maybe there'd be some leeway for a online video ad through Youtube (not only as an upload on their channel, but actually cycled within their ad network when someones watching other game-related videos), Twitch TV and other sites that have gaming videos & livestreams.

With the digital age they could consider some viral e-marketing, advergames, distributing demos and graphics files to online depositires, and many other things.
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
You know, there seem to be some really good ideas here on the forum.

Maybe a team of us should volunteer. It would save a bunch of money from the budget, and then only the costs of spreading the adds would be applicable.

I am sure there are some marketing experts that frequent the site.
Matt
Jim the old guy wrote:I walked into my house after work one day and #2 son says: "Hey dad! I got this new game and it's really cool. I think you'd like it."
Shouldn't he be upgraded to #1 son? :wink:
Maybe Aaron should create a Tex Sim and slip it into the next expansion pack...

They can call it the P.I. Expansion and people with their Sims can travel to Chandler Avenue...

Okay I guess that's over reaching a bit... Sadly Indie games can't afford major funding for advertising like companies like EA can...
After everything we all did around the country and the world and online, we only ended up with 7,000 backers... Yes I know that's a lot compared to what some other game projects are and have gotten, but when you start thinking about sales once the game is done, that number is almost nothing...
Now I know there are more fans out there that couldn't afford to donate or just decided not to that will buy and play the game and I'm sure we'll pick up a few more fans before the game is finished and after it is finished, sadly I don't think this will put BFG on the map {so to speak}...

Does anyone know if they plan on going to the E-3 Expo next year??? Would it be a good move for them to do so???
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Personally, I think you are being a bit pessimistic.

I am not saying this will make Big Finish a big game contender, but I think that a lot of people have the "Let's wait and see" attitude, when it comes to Kickstarter and games that are not finished yet.

I think the numbers of people that didn't donate because they want to see a finished product that is good before dishing out money, might be significant.

Even just 50 000 sales at 30 bucks a pop is 1.5 million bucks.

More than enough to make the next game.

I think it really depends on how good the finished game is.... and I don't have any doubt in my mind it will be good.

If it is put on Steam, Gog, and Origin and gets great reviews, we might be pleasantly surprised at the sales....
I think might be a snowball effect. Who knows....

Time will tell.
Matt
Yeah, right, JJ. If I upgrade him to #1 I might lose my job; I work for son #1. However, seeing that #2 put me on to Tex, well, you can see my dilemma.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Well I tbink children should all be loved equally by their parents. But, uh perhaps one can get more hugs. :-)
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
Since we're all sharing here... For me, it was somewhere around 1990, when there was a review of Mean Streets in a computer magazine here in Finland. The same magazine also had an ad for it with the Amiga cover art. You know, the one that looks embarrassingly 80s.

Now I want to ask Chris Jones if he can tell anything about why that cover was so different...
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed
-Bob Dylan
Everyone has most likely already seen my Textimonial video at this point. I wonder if I am the only person who found out about Pandora by reading the book first? :roll:

RE: Marketing. I agree, there definitely should be a big push this time around. They've got a unique opportunity to get their brand and name out there again and one of the best ways to get it in front of new/potential fans is going to be through advertising. Be it magazines, trade shows, or on the gaming websites. People can't buy what they don't know about. There needs to be some major buzz created before Project Fedora comes out. I hope they are seriously considering a big advertising push, and the advice of a marketing expert.
Cathy
I see viral marketing as a big opportunity for Fedora. $ for $, it has got to be the cheapest marketing around, and we all can be a huge part of it.

That said, TV advertising can still have a huge impact. Just look at the WoW Pandaria ads. Millions got exposed to it via TV. If only there was enough in the budget to afford it, which I realize there isn't.