First time playing UAKM...

And I love it. I remember hearing about these games (and seeing them at the store) back when they first came out, but for some reason, I never got around to playing them. Back then I was pretty much devoted to the Sierra games, though.

At any rate, I joined Kickstarter to back the Two Guys Spaceventure, and eventually ended up backing the Tex Murphy game. I was initially in for $15, but eventually went in for the big box. Can't wait to get it!

Anyway, over at the KS Sean was nice enough to gift me a GOG copy of UAKM, and I've been hooked. Just started Day 4, and looking forward to piecing everything together. Great actors, great music, great locations, great dialogue...what's not to like? There's just something about the atmosphere of the game that I love.

I'm going to go back to the game now, but I just wanted to say hi to everyone, and congrats!
Sweetness. Enjoy the rest!
"The real world is bizarre enough for me." - Blue Öyster Cult
welcome & glad you are enjoying the game
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Well besides when they first came out, I must say you couldn't have picked a better time to become involved... ;}

Hope you continue to enjoy UAKM, you're in for a treat once you get to Pandora... Any Questions feel free to ask, we'll do our best to help out...

Also welcome to our little community here... If it is Tex related someone here should definitely be able to help if you have any problems, {getting DVD of Overseer to run excluded}...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Yeah, I'm loving UAKM, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing Pandora Directive. From what I've read, it was a huge leap forward.

Must admit, part of the appeal (for me, anyway) lies in Tex's colossal inability to have any semblance of financial security; as a starving student in the big city, I feel his pain ;). That being said, I do have a pretty high tolerance for (or immunity against...) ramen noodles. Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on my experience playing the games!
You could always eat Fish Food...

You might want to try some "Eat The Rich" Dog Food... Pretty tasty in a pinch...

Sorry, a small spoiler from Pandora, but I couldn't resist when you started talking about starving...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

I think my favorite part of this whole thing (besides, you know, the new game coming) is seeing new people introduced to the series after so many years. It gives me hope for the future.

The number of people that the Kickstarter reached was small, but if the finished game is as good as we think it will be, and it gets reviewed reasonably well on the major sites, we could see a lot more new Tex fans before this is all over.
RVDT, hi and welcome.

I agree with you there is a certain atmosphere and aspects to the games thats hard to describe that is best just experienced first-hand. I'll be happy to hear your further comments on the games as you experience them for the first time :)
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Doing the GRS bit right now. Learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to just wander around carelessly ;).
My Son is at the same exact spot right now... Hasn't figured out that there is a hiding spot in every room to avoid the Droid... That's all I told him, I didn't tell him where they were, so hopefully he'll figure it out soon...

I liked the GRS part, I wish it had been a bit longer, maybe like Roswell is in Pandora...

My Son is at the same exact spot right now... Hasn't figured out that there is a hiding spot in every room to avoid the Droid... That's all I told him, I didn't tell him where they were, so hopefully he'll figure it out soon...
Was your son jolted out of his seat every time that floating eyeball came around the corner, like I was :lol: ? It reminded me of those nightmare-inducing orbs from Manhunter, if you remember that game. I liked the GRS part - there was a lot of running around, but the puzzles were logical, and I never felt that it was unfair. I also loved the creepy-as-hell ending of Day 4, and then the hilarious opening of Day 5 to offset the gloom!

Anyway, I've beaten the game now, and I've gotta say, I haven't had this much fun playing an adventure game in a long time. Anyone know when those GOG credits will be coming our way? I can't wait to check out Pandora!
I like the AMFV avatar. That was a really unique game.

Glad you liked UAKM. It's my favorite of the three FMV games, although Pandora improved on many aspects of it, but I love the humor and the way it kind of embraces that campy B-movie feel.

I really do feel like these games were ahead of their time in a lot of ways, even if the rest of the adventure genre didn't go in that direction, and that's why they hold up even better than most modern adventure games.
Frogacuda wrote: I really do feel like these games were ahead of their time in a lot of ways, even if the rest of the adventure genre didn't go in that direction, and that's why they hold up even better than most modern adventure games.
In my opinion FMV industry did not have the time to mature, as video games abandoned its trend and found the Holy Grail in 3d technology. Pandora shows that FMV games did mature away from campiness. Pandora is an immersive FMV game of high quality, which makes you feel and care about the characters on the screen.

If it weren't abandoned, we might known more gems like Pandora.
Join the Tex Murphy wiki
http://texmurphy.wikia.com/wiki/Tex_Murphy_Wiki
Everything you wanted to know about the post-WWIII era
Rebus wrote:
Frogacuda wrote: I really do feel like these games were ahead of their time in a lot of ways, even if the rest of the adventure genre didn't go in that direction, and that's why they hold up even better than most modern adventure games.
In my opinion FMV industry did not have the time to mature, as video games abandoned its trend and found the Holy Grail in 3d technology. Pandora shows that FMV games did mature away from campiness. Pandora is an immersive FMV game of high quality, which makes you feel and care about the characters on the screen.
This is actually kind of the opposite of what I was saying. To be clear, I was NOT talking about FMV. And UAKM found that holy grail in 3D technology long before most of the rest of the genre (with the exception of some of the Freescape games, I guess). And to this day, it's among the very few 3D adventure games that actually use the third dimension for more than just looks, and allow you to look in and under things and really enhances the gameplay beyond what was possible in 2D.

I would never imply that other games should have all gone FMV. That's a very specific sort of style that suits Tex but certainly wouldn't suit, say, LucasArts' games.

But it would have benefitted Lucas and Sierra to find a way to use 3D to actually make their games better. Lucas went into 3D dragging their feet, and Grim Fandango was worse playing and controlling than their 2D games and still had the same fixed camera angles and no real advantages. They also should have been making more extensive use of cutscenes (animated or otherwise), experimenting with branching paths, multiple puzzle solutions, and other ways to enrich these games and bring them up to modern standards, rather than just simplifying them out of contempt for what they saw as a gradually stupider audience.

The FMV thing has always obscured so much of what is truly great about these games. The reason they are so good is because they always put the gameplay first, and just used the FMV to build up the story and characters. Unfortunately, the FMV is all anyone talks about these days.

We don't call "Day of the Tentacle" a "cartoon game" or a "pixel game" and we shouldn't call Tex an "FMV game." It's just a visual style. The "FMV game" label is better suited to games whose primary gameplay used FMV, not just the cut scenes.
I like the AMFV avatar. That was a really unique game.
Yeah, 'A Mind Forever Voyaging' is probably my favourite game, or simulator, or whatever it is. Big fan of Infocom games in general. I recently gave away my Sierra game collection to a good friend, so I'm currently trying to collect all of those Infocom grey box games. I have about 11 or 12, I think.
The FMV thing has always obscured so much of what is truly great about these games. The reason they are so good is because they always put the gameplay first, and just used the FMV to build up the story and characters. Unfortunately, the FMV is all anyone talks about these days.
Speaking of games that put interface and, well, fun, before FMV - have you guys played the old Wing Commander games? I'm not sure how they've aged, but they were pretty damned cool back when they first came out. GOG.com has them for next to nothing right now - might have to check those out, again.