May 15th was not such a good day to launch the campaign :-(

Hey everyone,

Long time Tex Murphy fan and long time lurker of these boards.

I'm pretty up on current gaming trends and I've donated to the campaign but with may 15 being the release of two long awaited triple A games (Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3) all the gaming news sites Eyre flooded with information and posts about those games and so were every gaming forum and news aggregator.

I think that many more people know and would donate to the project but many are playing a brand new game for a few days and all the news sites are focusing on breaking news about those games to maximize page vews. I know I've heard a ton of industry people mention Tex among their favorite games, .

granted, the kick starter is doing pretty well, but it's nowhere near the publicity or popularity for such a major thing should be at. Also, don't forget that Amazon will take 5% of the total, and then kickstarter will take 5% which means that 450k is not actually going to big finish, and that the money estimate is as bare bones as they can do the project for.

Tex needs and deserves more attention and I personally want to see it pass the Double Fine amount of 3.3 million.

There are so few games that really make great characters and even fewer with a focus on good story telling. We need not only for Tex to come back, but for Tex to come back and make waves in the industry again.

What are your thoughts?
Hello and welcome!
There was some discussion before launch regarding this:
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/mess ... f=1&t=3724

Ultimately I think that there will always be big or popular releases. Before Diablo there were some anticipated titles and there will be many after. There are different audiences and some (like me) may not be following either Diablo or Max Payne for various reasons (not because I think theyre not good or anything). But yeah I understand what you mean, I watch game broadcasters on Twitch and Diablo etc. is of course big on there now. But actually I first heard (along with the other few hundred people watching) about the upcoming Tex Murphy kickstarter awhile back through one of those streams who were also talking about Diablo, so not all are thinking of the 1 game. I'm sure they had their reasons to pick that date and there is always time for a big push in the news later since its running for a month.

Everyone appreciates your support :)
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
Not everyone plays Diablo or Max Payne, or has the consoles to play them on.

Max Payne 3 is one of the few games that makes me wish I owned a current-gen console. I loved Max Payne 1 and 2! It was a story driven game with character development starring a detective with chronic bad luck. :wink:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone's playing Diablo 3 or MP3, but rather, that for those NOT playing those, they will keep an eye on the news feeds, which as we've seen are flooded with nothing but news on those two games for the most part.

Same with gaming forums, they're flooded with discussions on those two games.

I took a look at the old thread too, and while I agree that some aspects of "soft launch" are important, I cant help but think that as people have seen and donated more Kickstarters, they're going to be less and less likely to fund above the targeted amount. For instance, lets say they see the goal at 425k a week before, they might just put in $15 for the game itself, because it's already near it's goal.

Double Fine did a great job of getting almost everyone on board and excited in one single day. Capitalizing on impulse and extreme excitement for a boom that funded them in 8 hours and went to a million in 24.

The Tex kickstarter video was a bang, but so far the media push has been a whimper. Hope a lot more is to come on that front.
Vecheeso wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone's playing Diablo 3 or MP3, but rather, that for those NOT playing those, they will keep an eye on the news feeds, which as we've seen are flooded with nothing but news on those two games for the most part.
Oh I didn't think you meant everyone was playing those games, even on Twitch I see some playing Diablo but also retro games and such. So I definitely see where you're coming from. No worries. But since the date was announced and set I think another way of looking at it is there will always of been potential competition e.g. some wanted them to wait until after <nameHere> Kickstarter had ended but its likely another one would of started etc. etc.
Same with gaming forums, they're flooded with discussions on those two games.
But I wonder do those same forums really talk about adventure games much anyway? As in the games themselves (and not e.g. the amount DF raised). There's an 8 page thread on AdventureGamers for example. 4 pages on GOG. But yeah any further discussion outside those places would be good.
I cant help but think that as people have seen and donated more Kickstarters, they're going to be less and less likely to fund above the targeted amount. For instance, lets say they see the goal at 425k a week before, they might just put in $15 for the game itself, because it's already near it's goal.
I think the soft launch time period has probably helped some have time to save funds and cool off from some of the other big Kickstarters like Wasteland, Shadowrun etc.

I'm hoping they will add more info on what they'd do after 450k to the main Kickstarter page eventually to drag it further, you could submit that as a suggestion to them via the Kickstarter contact link. Someone transcribed this from the RetroNick interview with Chris Jones:
Regarding what over 450k would do based on the RetroNick Interview they mentioned in addition to other formats they'd do:
- Additional game content, expand it and make the game longer, maybe some more paths (in addition to the already planned multiple endings) stating they always focus on making their games character and story driven.
- They also would bring up the overall calibre of the game in support of the writing that already exists as a base from Aaron Conners, as they feel great writing and great execution is important.
- Also more funding would add the ability to cast some bigger name actors to pull together a great cast to portray the script, they mentioned they have some contacts in the industry that they think they could use to pull together some real talent and very recognisable names depending on the funding.
Theres also lots of other stuff from that interview I'd like to see on their main page or in their upcoming FAQ.
Hope a lot more is to come on that front.
Same :)
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
I thought May 15th was a good day to launch Project Fedora!:)
What surprised me, and think was possibly a slight mistake, was the length of time for the kickstarter drive. Havne't most of the other games had at least 45 days of fundraising. One month seems like a relatively short amount of time for the maximum amount of gamers to first, hear about it, and second, spend some time to save up the money to donate. I'm not sure if they can extend it at this point, but I would've like to have seen at the very minimum 45 days, if not 2 months outright.
Double Fine did a great job of getting almost everyone on board and excited in one single day. Capitalizing on impulse and extreme excitement for a boom that funded them in 8 hours and went to a million in 24.
don`t worry, Vecheeso... i was told it`s gonna be a very worthy rival to Double Fine
Challenge... f%#&ing... accepted!

-Cub. =o)
Lindhorst wrote:What surprised me, and think was possibly a slight mistake, was the length of time for the kickstarter drive. Havne't most of the other games had at least 45 days of fundraising. One month seems like a relatively short amount of time for the maximum amount of gamers to first, hear about it, and second, spend some time to save up the money to donate. I'm not sure if they can extend it at this point, but I would've like to have seen at the very minimum 45 days, if not 2 months outright.
I’m worried about this too. In fact, my jaw dropped when I saw that the campaign was only 31 days. I was expecting something more along the lines of 45 to 60 days too. Tex needed that.

If this campaign ends up earning only $400,000, I believe that the short campaign period will have a lot to do with it. 29 more days is a very short time to earn about $289,000 more, especially when all of the news sites are covering other games (Diablo, Max Payne), and not Tex Murphy.

The other thing I’m worried about is the short length of the pitch text. There is almost no info about the game, and no images. It would be a lot more eye catching if they included background renders of the 3D environments, behind the scenes photos, or even screenshots of their old games. The interior rooms of Gideon’s Mansion from Overseer still look great, even by today’s standards.
don't worry guys the video isn't the other thing that will posted. There is more video on the way but that's all I can say about the matter
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
plumgas wrote:don't worry guys the video isn't the other thing that will posted. There is more video on the way but that's all I can say about the matter
Well, whatever it is, it needs to come quick and liven up the home page.

And I completely agree Mr. Fedora. As far as pitches go, especially for potentially bigger name titles like this one, it's quite light, with sparse information about the game itself. Given that they've been wanting to make this for quite some time, they would be able to release a good bit of initial pre-production material they've done on their own time. Maybe it's coming soon.

I wonder if they can extend the time or if it's set in stone once the drive starts.