Malloy's Disc is missing?

Ok, I encountered a weird problem in the Pandora Directive. I found Malloy's disc in the Garden House (day 4 or 5?) and I remember I tried it on the laptop in the computer room. I didn't have the password for the disc, so I no longer paid attention to it.

Now, I'm on day 8 and I just returned from Rosswell. I've got the fax from Lucia Pernell with the password... except that my disc seems to be missing! It's not in my inventory anymore, It's not in the laptop computer, and it's not in the Garden House... It's just gone.

Anyone else ever experienced this?
What version are you using??? Are you playing off of the CDs or did you buy and download it from GOG??? If you're playing a pirated download copy then there isn't any help for you, but we don't get many Pirate users here, thankfully...

You didn't by any chance load a saved game that occurred before you got the file, did you??? Do you save often, can you go back through your saved games until you find one that still has the CD and then see if you can't play through from there??? Now that you've gotten to where you are, you should be able to breeze through back to that point...

I've seen people post about losing inventory items before, but I've never actually experienced it myself... Being an older game I know that screen sizes some times get a little messed up, is it possible that your Inventory is at the top of the screen with an item possible being out of view??? I know when I first got back into Tex and had to go through Dosbox and all that my screen needed adjusting to play the game...

Just some thoughts I'm throwing out there... Hopefully someone else might come along that knows why this happened and knows how to fix it... But the best option I can think of is to go through your saved games if you saved often, which is highly recommended...

I don't have the site readily available, but Nilo's Place has saved games you can download... You could download a saved game that occurs right after Roswell, it is sure to have all the necessary inventory items...

Hey if anyone has the time maybe we should slowly download everything from Nilo's Place and upload it here... I'm not sure how well Nilo's place is maintained or how much longer it might be up now that Nilo himself isn't managing it any longer...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I have heard in the past the first daggar disappearing & the solution was when ever you pick things up always view them. Never heard of the disk going missing, sometimes people have found they have not gone to the second page on the inventory items.

helping you out with a saved game will be no help as you may be playing another path.

just had a quick play of the game, if you didn't examine it, it should be in inventory listed as "envelope addressed to witt" it only appears as malloys disk one you view it.

also check the more or arrors up or down in inventory.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Hi,

No, it's not a pirated copy. It's the original one I bought as soon as it was in stores (but I run it under DosBox now).

Well, I did open the envelope and I even remember putting the disk in the computer where it asked for the password.

I checked the different pages on the inventory too, no luck.

Oh well, seems like I have to restart all over...
Thank fod, found a savegame from day 5, and there I still had the disk. I'll just continue from there then.
glad you didn't have to start over gain
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
sithlord2 wrote:Thank fod, found a savegame from day 5, and there I still had the disk. I'll just continue from there then.
That's a step back from Day 8, but certainly better than starting over...

As a rule of thumb I save at the Beginning of Every Day, with multiple saves in between depending on what is happening... IF there are lots of points to be made or crucial conversation decisions to be made or the chance of dying, then I end up saving a bit more...
But if you're not a big saver, then just try to make it a rule to yourself to save at the beginning of each day... Should be a fairly easy habit to get into...

Glad you didn't have to start over, and good luck... ;}

I might suggest that you purchase UAKM and Pandora, if not the others as well, from GOG... It really saves the headache of the Disc Swapping and Dosbox comes already built in...
Since I already own them I can't see the current price to check whether or not they are still on sale, but I know they were half price last week and it was suppose to last another 12 days, so they should still be on sale... If not the price GOG sells them for is still quite a deal...
And a portion of the sales go to the Original Creators in hopes to bring us a NEW Tex in the future... So if money isn't real tight it is a good cause to donate too... ;}

Happy Gaming...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Being an IT guy myself, I was able to configure DosBox so I don't have to swap discs.
I support GOG, but I do not intend to buy twice for the game ;-)

I did buy Overseer, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum through GOG however :-)
Good to hear it... Every little bit helps...

I have the first 4 on a Flash Drive, thanks to our local Doc... I still dropped the coin to have the purchases in GOG just in case I ever need to download them elsewhere for whatever reason... I do admit that I waited until they were on sale though...