Maybe my IQ has dropped but ...

Overseer is especially tough. Tougher than any of the other Tex games.
I've been playing it for the first time over the past two weeks and I have to say the puzzles seem overly brutal at times. I HATE using the hint system and never did for Pandora 13 years ago, but this game is breaking me down . . . or maybe I'm getting dumber.

Too many years of FPS's rotting my brain.

Anyway, despite the puzzles, I'm loving the whole game.
I think one of the hardest puzzles was the chess match at the end with Gideon unless you are a chess player.
IMHO, Pandora had the toughest puzzles of all, especially when playing Game mode. The time limits are brutal and near impossible to make. Overseer had some very good puzzles, but once you solved them....well, it was pretty easy after that.

However, the droids in cell block C (I think) could be rather challenging as I recall. Similar to the droid at GRS in UAKM. Still, the most difficult to solve for the first time and still presents a challenge after all these years is the inner Roswell complex. Yes, it does get easier with time, but it is still unnerving until the alien is trapped.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Malloy Tex wrote:I think one of the hardest puzzles was the chess match at the end with Gideon unless you are a chess player.
Isn't the sequence of moves written on the backs of the 8 passcards? I remember thinking you don't have to know chess from a mess.

By the way, I fed that position into Chessmaster 8000 and it's actually not a "totally legit" position - the game is not automatically won for white OR for black. It's set up in such a way that black can mate white in 2 moves and white can only "stave off" checkmate by continuously harassing the black king, but the 8 moves on the backs of the passcards are not an automatic win for white. The position is actually reasonably balanced at that point.

EDIT: One specific example is after RxD7, black plays NxD7. This is suicide. All black has to do is move his king and white is powerless to stop QxG2# or QxF2#.
My hardest puzzle in Overseer was the stupid electrified floor... I kept falling off the walls and had a very hard time making it in time... Several times when I played it I had to come off of Gamer Mode to Entertainment Mode and I always hated myself for that...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I thought the electrified floor was kinda fun. But I think the slower the computer you had (like mine was) the harder it was to navigate thanks to the jerkiness. That's the same reason why the lazer net puzzle at Roswell in Pandora was so hard when I first played it. By the time you were about to hit the red lazers you'd pull back but often overcompensate becuase the feedback was delayed. So annoying, until I discovered you can place the dynamite from the back of the room!

-Cub. =o)
Yeah that's kind of neat, but disappointing about how you can set the Bomb from the front of the room... Tex should say something like, "Nah, I'll need to get closer to pull that off."... Normally I'll still go to the door to set the bomb, just to be right about it...

Tex must be a mutant... Think about the Telepathic abilities he has... He can place bombs from up to 50 Plus Meters away, he can open doors from the opposite end of the street... He can pick things up that meters away... lol
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Bafitis wrote:My hardest puzzle in Overseer was the stupid electrified floor... I kept falling off the walls and had a very hard time making it in time... Several times when I played it I had to come off of Gamer Mode to Entertainment Mode and I always hated myself for that...
the electrified floor are we talking about gideon's gallery floor, never crossed crossed it once, always used the cheat code.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Yeah, I'm talking about the Gallery... I used it a few times, but it always took me back to Entertainment Level and I really enjoy playing through the Gamers Level... It's quite the puzzle, but I think it has a lot to do with what Cub said about having a slower computer... When I first got Overseer I was using an Outdated machine, no doubt there... And then with all the problems and whatnot with XP and Vista, I just haven't tried playing it... It's been years since I've been able to play Overseer...

Cubase wrote: That's the same reason why the lazer net puzzle at Roswell in Pandora was so hard when I first played it. By the time you were about to hit the red lazers you'd pull back but often overcompensate becuase the feedback was delayed. So annoying, until I discovered you can place the dynamite from the back of the room!

-Cub. =o)
damm, all these years I have going in & out of the laser field not knowing you could set the dynamite off at the edge of the lazer field.

However I have now mastered it, laser mouse just glides through it.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Actually you can stand all the way at the front door with it already open ready for your escape and set the bomb from there... I still like going up to the door to do it though...