Under A Killing Moon SE - Potential Remake. (1stScreenshot!)

I'm wasn't trying to say it wouldn't be good to have it in FMV... But from some of the things that were said in the one interview it just sounded like they were leaning toward other possibilities...

I would love for the new Tex to be in the same general format style as UAKM, Pandora, and Overseer...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Some of the last Need for Speed games had some splendid FMV sequences. I really liked how they toyed with them so they'd appear almost like 3d rendering, to blend better with the fake environment. Carbon and Undercover had decent to good tv actors.

I don't think it would be as costly as it's been before, for a rather simple reason. At the time, most FMV scenes were put there because there was no way to play those sequences in the engine. The fight with the Black Arrow Killer, for instance, had to be filmed. I enjoyed the footage, mind you, but it's one of those scenes today that could be "cut" and replaced with gameplay.

That's what Need for Speed did. Key moments were FMV blended in the environment, the rest were rendering and recorded dialogue.

Example from Carbon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bf_U1tnHWQ
Part-Time Nomad
Alright in light of what Aaron said, I'm keeping safe and sticking with a fan game rather than a full blown commercial game.. I don't like the way he turned me down though.. I mean "sue" me? aren't I supposed to get a Cease and Deist before that?! lol.. I guess its because Aaron's never really dealt with a modder before- we do tend to get ourselves into these messes but that's the risk we take when developing other people's IP. Occasionally though it actually works (see Counter Strike for example)

As Much as I'd love to do an FMV based game, I just don't think its possible. It is however possible to use this existing technology I am using to make the game with little trouble. So I'll state this now, We're no longer going to use the Quake3 engine because GPL doesn't matter anymore, instead I've opted for the Cube2 engine because its at least an engine I'm fairly experienced with already so its not too hard to produce something. I completed a lot of chandler avenue- its very basic but it looks AWESOME!. Here's a screen shot! :D.

Keep in mind I didn't make any of the textures except the sky in the background, the rest are all stock. Characters can be added easily- and I know everyone will say "but it looks really blocky and crap" well thats because I hard made the objects such as the news stand within the level editor, realistically we'd use a seperate model for these.. I've just put it there for show.

The coloring looks good, but I don't recall there being any blue sky in UAKM, except when you saw the planet from out in space... Any chance you can add a little white to the clouds to compensate for adding some more red to the blue???

The bottom and right look pretty good, it's the left and slightly upper left that I'm looking at, in the left window...

Just my thoughts, I'm in no way a techy or graphics artist... I think you've got great talent and I can't wait to see your finished product...

If I might add my 2 cents from yours and Ac's convo... I think once he saw Day One, like you're planning to do, finished and running on a modern OS without the aid of Dosbox or something, I think that he would then be able to give you a go ahead on doing the full game for redistribution...
From his point of view, he can't really give you a green light without knowing what he is allowing you to do... Once he sees a good sample, which I'm sure it will be very good, then he can start shaking hands with you on something more...
Again just my thoughts...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

??

I'm a little confused with the screen shot.... is tex supposed to be looking through a window?

Everything has a blue tint to it.
Matt
That's the engine that did that, I applied the generic glass shader.. I need to figure out why its using the default statics.. as the reflection is the default. I should take them out and recapture it.

I'm very eager to do some modeling, specifically the Lotus Speeder for out the front because honestly its probably the easiest object in the game to remodel. I'm actually more impressed at how well it works, I even made the fence with a hole in it like the one behind Rooks pawn shop.. AND it even works the same- but its missing the "move" function. Still I'm gald to see that you can control clipping.. I've also done tex's "backyard" sorta speaking which looks very similar, when you walk down the steps you do get the sense you're playing a TM game. It works nicely and I'm glad to see the engine is capable of pulling it off.. its just that stupid shader- so I'll remove it and resubmit, keep in mind it was 5:00am in the morning when I made that screenshot, and I'd been up all night working on it.

Suffice to say that I slept like a log after it :D.

With regards to Aaron I think its more he's got something major planned for tex and would rather know where the IP stands on his own terms rather than on someone else's I'm thinking its more he wants to do this and would rather no one else carry the burden for him or even profit from someone else's work. I respect that.

Anyway I'll get to fixing the problems with the map. I got really tired hence why it looks like ass right now :D its missing a lot of details.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpxnEfOPZw

Just uploaded a small video of it. I'm thinking though that I may end up using Gameblender over Cube because this engine is a bit restrictive on where you can put things, gameblender however is just straight in from the modeler software.. I'm a bit picky on my engines really.. I've been messing around with a lot and still can't find one I like. I'm thinking I may end up developing my own engines- none of them seem to be self explanatory-- well Cube2 is.. but its restrictive as fork- I had it crash several times because I pushed it a bit too hard.
Bafitis wrote:
Bjyman wrote:If they released a new Tex Murphy game with Under A Killing Moon's engine I'd be in Heaven.
It isn't going to happen like that... lol

According to what AC said in that one interview it's possible that the next Tex won't even be in FMV like the last 3 either...
Well it may be just me but with Casebook and Return to Ravenhearst I think FMV is making a comeback. I just hope AC lets Three Cards to Midnight be the experimental hybrid and lets Tex Murphy be the full blown adventure game.
It's possible, but the difference between them and Tex, is Tex has used high priced and big named actors in the previous games... Things like Casebook are being done by the creators, no outside actors, so cost is dramatically cut way down...

We'll just have to wait and see... I'm sure CJ and AC won't disappoint... ;}

Punk, that looks very good for being a very rough draft so to speak... I think you're gonna end up with helluva finished project...

I think it is very possible to do FMV in the game... why? Becuase I would be willing to shoot it!

-Cub. =o)
Becuase I would be willing to shoot it!
We all know you'd do an amazing job cub, I love everything you've produced. I keep thinking I'm looking at the one guy that could get Australia's film industry out of hell ;) your work is truly brilliant.

Hopefully I can reproduce the same level in game blender, the advantage of using GB is that now it'll be able to use very high res textures, its completely open-source and uses python rather than C++ (Python is way easier)- the only trouble I've had with game blender is with UV mapping.
I just hope AC lets Three Cards to Midnight be the experimental hybrid and lets Tex Murphy be the full blown adventure game.
Well it really depends on how they did it, if the game were like the X files game (where by the entire game is filmed- not just the FMVs but the actual gameplay graphics too) it'd work really well- I'd actually prefer that over pre-rendering- but this also means having build sets ect and that can be expensive. Still I think it'd be really cool to have a REAL LIFE chandler avenue- they could turn it into a Theme Park ride after they're done with it :D.

I'm extremely N00bish to 3D Modeling so don't worry about critiquing my work just right now. This model is strictly a place holder to go into the engine. the important bit is at least it LOOKS like the Lotus Speeder :D. I wish the texture would be better, the model looks fine, its just that damn texture. I think I goofed up a bit with the UV map so I may give it a shot later on. And yes I'm aware there's a hairline seam going through the center.

We're now targeting Blender, its sooo much easier to tweak things in very fine details vs Cube2, Cube2 is rather clunky and can't produce the finer details.
just updating I did some level work and it looks usable, I'm struggling with the control scheme a bit because Blender's control system is rather foreign to me at this stage. Not a lot has progressed on this as finding employment has become a major priority for me, aside from also looking into starting my own studio and developing my first game. Updates may be a bit scarce. I'll let you know though if I decide to go ahead with this or not. I'm fairly new to 3D modeling so its a bit of a challenge for me.
Cubase wrote:I think it is very possible to do FMV in the game... why? Becuase I would be willing to shoot it!

-Cub. =o)
Send me the details for the screen testing audition ;)