Its already been pirated... sad...

I thought id check out a torrent site just to make sure 3CTM was safe, but apparently its already on warez sites... 200 people were linked to it... Sad indeed.
Tex Murphy: Australia
http://www.texmurphyaustralia.net/wp
it stinks doesn't it . I asked previously if there would be security to stop this but I didn't get an answer.
Can they stop this, make them take it off the site.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
We need to use every available means of contacting Aaron to let him know what's happening. If anybody, surely the author will have supreme authority over this.
Hmmm... this could actually be just the demo perhaps?
at the real arcade there is a demo ac mentioned this morning the only thing I saw was 197mb.
Someone mentioned that it's the full version but it only plays for a short time & then you have to buy it. Have a look to see how big the file is.

if it's the real thing you should be able to stop it as they can when the movies appear.
Lynne
surely though they can't play it without an access code, and if they have an access code they can track who passed it on? Or could it be a random generator finding a code?

For what it's worth, those who want to see a sequel and want Tex back will stump up the money.
David
PS - I wonder if the patch can change the code that's being used to register it. Can the game email the code back to the developers so they see how many times each copy is being registered? It would probably be a good thing for us all if it did.
David
There's no stopping this. Even if you can get it taken off a couple sites, once it's out there it's circulated all over and a lot of these sites don't care who you are.

I've seen this happen to so many indie developers. It's really why if you don't get your game on Steam, you're going to have a lot of trouble making money. Hopefully the fact that this is playing to a casual (usually less savvy) audience will help it do ok anyway.
AAron has replyed to this thread

Unfortunately, pirating games is pretty much inevitable. We assumed it would happen - but I must say it's pretty impressive how quickly these jerks work.

It's annoying, knowing that people are exploiting the system to essentially steal money from you, but if companies like Microsoft can't figure out how to stop it, what is a little company like ours going to do?

I appreciate your concern and that you called attention to what's happening, but all we can do is hope that most people (especially our upstanding, first-rate fans) will go ahead and buy their copies.
Lynne
Could they do something in future games like a screen that showed up to everyone when you load the game, to say that this is a small company funded wholly by people who buy their products and without it there would be no sequels or more games?

That way those who have bought it can feel like they've done a good deed and those who've pirated it might think twice, or at least have the conscience to 'donate via paypal' on the original site if they like the game.

It can't do any harm, and could get people with guilty consciences donating
David
Sadly there will always be a way around security measures... It's just sad that people choose to do things like this...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
I went to the site & the guy who uploaded the game file is from indonesia. Looks like he was very fast downloading & went on the site about 10.30pm thursday night.

scum bag.
Lynne
i still think this may be the demo... i downloaded the demo from real arcade, and its the whole game with a 60 minute timeplay on it then it comes up with a message saying please buy the game. Which I have now done, and then real arcade just unlocks the time limit on it so noow I'm also playing Three Cards :) Up to chapter two.
yes you can donwload from real arcade as a demo or buy it from them. 3CTM site is off air so no one can buy it tonight. Don't know if it's meant to be down down or not as there is a bug in the game at chapter 2. AC is setting up a patch for it & should be available tomorrow.
Lynne
I havent encountered any bugs as mentioned. It all sails smoothly for me basically... Though it would be good if u could exit the puzzles and not have to finish them before u can exit the game.