Overseer - unhandled exception

Hello everyone,

I can't run Overseer DVD version. I've gone through installation process without a problem (compatibility mode set on setup.exe). Also DVD express and RSX 3D have been installed correclty.

From now on no matter what i do "unhandled exception in Overseer.exe" appears. I tried run this one:

1. with and without compatibility mode
2. with and without DVD express installed
3. with and without RSX 3D installed

but always damned unhandled exception appears.

Anyone had something similar to this?

THanks in advance
Welcome to the boards...

Do you have the Patch installed??? I don't know if it involves the problem you've explained, but whenever patches are released it's usually best to have them...

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~hbech/

Nilo has some installer files for UAKM, Pandora, and Overseer with the respected Patches already installed in those files... Take a look at his suggestions and see if there is anything that might help you out...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Hi. I asked for help earlier this week about help with Overseer. My problem is room code errors and cursor artifacts once I get past the room errors. I get that with both the DVD and CDs on my XP. I hope someone answers one or BOTH of us soon! Interesting, I can play UAKM and Pandora perfectly with DOSbox and can't play the newer game without problems. I have the patch with Overseer. Go figure. :(
Overseer wasn't programmed to run in Dosbox and there isn't really a fix for it to run smoothly in XP or Vista... Overseer has a lot of problems on newer systems... Unfortunately you probably won't get it running as smooth as you remember playing it on Win95 or Win98...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

room code errors, what are you getting

error is not really a error message - just mute the midi in rxd sound.
overseer runs beatiful under vista with the cd version/hd installer
you can find it on the board.

curser artifacts thats been solved in the past, it might be on the old message board.
sometimes disabling direct draw fixes it.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
okay this is the fix for cursor trails

Edit Tex.ini with notepad.
Change
lockvideo=-1
for
lockvideo=1
Lynne
It does run under Vista??? I hadn't heard that, I thought it had the same problems that XP had... Thanks for coming in Plumgas...
I'm pretty sure that Penny said they were using XP though... Isn't there some sort of DVD program to install that helps it run more error-free in XP???

it runs under vista with the following see post.
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/mess ... f=3&t=1576

It's not for xp , I only posted this info so as bafitis quoted to run overseer in 95 & 98.

Maybe penny has another pc with vista.

unhandled exception in Overseer.exe, could be with Rsx sound. needs to be copied from the disk to the hard drive & then do set up from the folder. Editing settings in Rsx is required. adjust the buffer settings in advanced settings.

ACPI Multiprocessor PC if can cause problems with overseer check in control panel & device manager & my computer to see if it lists ACPI pc . if so you need to disable one of the processor when playing. I have alink for the file that does it for you.
A indication you need to do this is curser trails.

I have 98 machine & overseer dvd is a problem with any OS. I just use the cd's with a virtual drive. But now with the HD/cd installer which enables you to burn all cd to a dvd disk, its great but its only been designed for vista.

With XP & DVD express I still needed elcard software to get it to go.
Lynne
well I had a go of installing dvd version under xp with no problems.
Install dvd express first , rhen install overseer,
Installing changed compability on setup on dvd & then install. When asked to install rxs sound cancel that. Copy to drive from dvd disk .Go to the folder & do the setup ,
Then install overseer patch.

Overseer control panel mute the midi. this gets rid of error codes in xp & gets you across gideons gallery. Using the dvd it won't work climbing the ladder in amazon corridor. You have to swap to the cds till you get past this.

Personally I Played overseer side by side with another pc one with the DVD version & the other CD version burned to dvd playing from hard drive. Slight difference only in video sequences , for all the trouble with dvd it;s not worth it.

if you have only xp = just burn image file from the cds with nero & downlaod daemond tools & mount the cds.
Lynne
Hello and thanks for all suggestions. Actually the problem in my case was DVD decoder (DVD Express) which after installation was in conflict with one installed on my system. I removed latter one and from now on everything seems to be almost fine.

Unhandled exception error still randomly appears throughout the game but it does not happen very often.

best regards
Woyt
Glad you got it working okay...

Don't be a stranger, pop in from time to time or stick around and become a Regular...

Hi guys! I'm really glad to see all the info for Overseer. I know it wasn't meant to play in DOSbox, I only mentioned that to show that I'm willing to try things and a 'little' able to get things to run. I do have a Vista PC, but it's a laptop (which I hate using). I have an ME and XP, both are desktops which I like using most (it does play nicely on ME, but not in DVD!), If Overseer will play better on the Vista then that's what I'll have to do. I love all the Alcatraz parts VERY MUCH. Can someone explain what I need to do to play Overseer in Vista if it's best (in DVD)? Thank you, everyone and good bourbon for all!
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/mess ... f=3&t=1576

this is the link & instructions on where to download file. The game works well on a laptop
Lynne
Penny Shenault wrote:Hi guys! I'm really glad to see all the info for Overseer. I know it wasn't meant to play in DOSbox, I only mentioned that to show that I'm willing to try things and a 'little' able to get things to run. I do have a Vista PC, but it's a laptop (which I hate using). I have an ME and XP, both are desktops which I like using most (it does play nicely on ME, but not in DVD!), If Overseer will play better on the Vista then that's what I'll have to do. I love all the Alcatraz parts VERY MUCH. Can someone explain what I need to do to play Overseer in Vista if it's best (in DVD)? Thank you, everyone and good bourbon for all!
The DVD version has better video quality only, the CD version plays better.

DVD Express was not meant for newer systems and can cause issues with Vista.
A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).