Attention: Mr. Cyberpunk

I have never had the opportunity to watch Blade Runner which is a disappointment to me. I think I would really enjoy the film but there is one thing that has stopped me, I don't know which version to watch. I think there are about three different cuts now is that correct? From what I hear, what version you see, especially the first time you watch it, will dictate heavily what you think of the movie. So I am asking you dear friend, which version of Blade Runner do I watch?
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
All of them in chronological order. With many years in between. That way you forget most of the content, and it's like a new experience every time.

Alternatively, brainwashing works. Or a full frontal lobotomy.

Or flip a coin. Or scissors, rock, paper. Or a d20. Or maybe ask the greatest Blade Runner fan on our board.

Which I am *so* guessing to be Jen.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
I suppose you could say there are three major cuts (Original, Director's and Final), but there actually are a few more if you want to get technical. My favorite is The Final Cut which I just got on HD DVD a few days ago. It's similar to the Director's Cut only polished to look and sound as best as it possibly could. This includes using CGI to remove a few revealing mistakes, and trust me when I say they've done this to perfection. You can't tell it's not what was actually shot. There is a bit of added material in The Final Cut, but it's short and hardly worth mentioning.

The main problem of making The Final Cut the first cut you watch is that pretty much nothing is explained, so you might find yourself bewildered at times. The original cut explains what's going on through voice-over which is helpful for a newcomer. It's still a worse movie however.

I recommend starting with The Final Cut. It's the ultimate Blade Runner experience. Should you find yourself wanting a better understanding of what was going on you could then watch the original cut. If you do this you should then watch The Final Cut once more.
Well, unless you can find the original version on vhs, you're choices are limited to the director's cut and the final cut. I don't think they ever put the original cut on dvd.

So yeah, if the only difference is special effects, go for the new one.
My blog:
http://nvracar.wordpress.com/
Vracar wrote:Well, unless you can find the original version on vhs, you're choices are limited to the director's cut and the final cut. I don't think they ever put the original cut on dvd.

The five disc edition of The Final Cut includes the original cut on DVD (plus director's and the second original and the rejected workprint off of which the director's cut was based (Ridley wasn't directly involved in the making of the director's cut)).

The Final Cut is more than just Director's Cut with polished special effects though. They made a ton of alterations, but most are so small and the altered scenes so brief you have to be a true fan to go out and buy The Final Cut if you've already got the remastered Director's Cut they released last year. In any case I doubt anyone would actually prefer the director's cut (unless they like it's flaws) so I see no reason not to go for the final cut.

Here's a list of the major changes they did in the final cut as compared to the director's cut (and like I said, all alterations are extremely well made):
* In the opening shot, the flames shooting up have been re-animated to look more realistic
* In the second shot of the staring eye, you could see the pupil react to the setting of 2019 L.A.
* A couple of shots were trimmed (such as Deckard's intro reading the newspaper)
* All spinner wires have been removed and matte lines erased
* Captain Bryant now says that "2" replicants were fried in the electrical field
* A new voiceover from Captain Bryant was inserted describing Leon's job
* New Cityspeak came over on the police scanner in Gaff's spinner rides both to the police station and the Tyrell building
* The original shot of Batty in the VidPhon booth that had been recycled from the later confrontation with Tyrell has been digitally altered so that it truly does look like Batty was in the booth
* The hotel manager mutters "Kowalski" as he opens the door to Leon's room for Deckard and Gaff, also Harrison's son Ben Ford was used as a stand-in during the silhouetted bathroom scene
* Of course, the new Unicorn footage
* When Deckard is drinking on his balcony, you can see a lighted billboard reflection on one side of his face
* New footage of the LA streets before Animoid Row and Taffey Lewis's club, including the hockey-masked geisha dancers
* The serial number on the snake scale now matches the Animoid Row lady's dialogue
* The lip flap between Deckard and Abdul Ben Hassan has been corrected
* Zhora's snake tattoo on her face from the photograph has been digitally added
* In Zhora's death scene, you can tell it is her the entire time. While previously it was obvious that her stunt double Lee Pulford was in the shot, Joanna Cassidy's head was digitally superimposed over Pulford's.
* The "extra violence" footage from the International Version was inserted
* During Batty's confrontation with Tyrell, he says, "I want more life, father", in addition to saying "Come Sebastian, come" when Sebastian is trying to escape after Batty murders Tyrell
* When Batty releases the dove, it now flies up into a background that matches 2019 L.A.
Dude, this film has more versions than Windows Vista.

-Cub. =o0
Yeah. And then there's the video game, too.
Wow! Gotta see the final cut!
~ Member: Tex Murphy's Mutant League, Crazy 888's Chapter~
*Revitalizing Old San Francisco's Chandler Avenue District With Style*

(also known as Steve Douglas, but usually by people less awesome than UTMers)
DrPaul wrote:
Yeah. And then there's the video game, too.
Thank god there isn't a video game of windows Vista...
I've only ever seen the 1992 Director's Cut, and got most of it the first time round (although it bears repeated viewings to be clear).

Based on what I've HEARD, I wouldn't want to see the film + narration due to two things; Harrison Ford tanked it on purpose, and it's got a cheesy, tacked-on 'happy' ending that is completely out of place with the tone of the rest of the film.

I'd like to get the Final Cut box set for the cleaned up transfer, new interviews and deleted scenes that have recently surfaced.

It's also worth noting that 'The Final Cut' is the only version Scott had complete creative control over - no studio interference.
I agree totally that the Final Cut is very clean, almost crisp. So if it's your first viewing...yeah, I'd go for that first.

For me.....there was just something about seeing it grainy and huge on the big screen and later as a worn out VHS tape. The shadows and grit is almost nostalgic. It was dirty and far from perfect, so much like I pictured the future to be.

As far as understanding....crud, I was a young pup, and I never thought I"got" all the finer points of the film, and the Do Android Dream Electric Sheep story, although a classic, was no help. :wink:

Oh, and for die hard fans....check this out. Fairly inexpensive, but VERY cool. If I only carried an umbrella.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/9260/
I was under the impression that cyberpunk was the biggest fan here. I guess I can be wrong a lot of times :/

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'll go with the final cut and see what happens.
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
i'm_melting_i'm_melting wrote:Based on what I've HEARD, I wouldn't want to see the film + narration due to two things; Harrison Ford tanked it on purpose, and it's got a cheesy, tacked-on 'happy' ending that is completely out of place with the tone of the rest of the film.
Watching the original cut haven't lessened my enjoyment of the director's and final cuts, but there's little point in watching it if you aren't in need of explanations.

It is true Harrison didn't do the best he could hoping the studio wouldn't use the voice-overs, but the worst voice-overs aren't in the original cut (I found that out watching the deleted/alternate scenes). Those present are ok if you ask me. It just so happens that Blade Runner is much better off without voice-overs (if you don't mind doing a lot of thinking on your own). I'm sure the original cut wouldn't have been any better even if Harrison had done the VOs to the best of his ability.

You're 100% correct about the ending though.
Whoops frack! I totally missed this. Way too caught up in my job making video games.

IMO the Final Cut is definitely a big improvement and adds so much colour to the original Directors Cut. It comes down to preference really, but I think the final cut by far has the best mood.. especially with that Deckard's eyes glowing bit :D I soo loved that, its details like that which make the final cut better because the directors cut you can barely see any of the glowing eyes :D (except the owl.. that is so obvious :D)

And yeah I am a massive fan, sorry for letting you down but I've discovered this little thing called responsibility. So again I am sorry for that :D Enjoy the film though. I love my spinner toy :D
Vracar wrote:Well, unless you can find the original version on vhs, you're choices are limited to the director's cut and the final cut. I don't think they ever put the original cut on dvd.

Umm.. I have the original cut on DVD and soon to be getting it on Blu-ray. Its called the Ultimate Edition because it has EVERY version of the film.[/quote]
I just saw the newest version of Blade Runner and I realized the only version of the film I've ever seen before is the horrible narrated version.

This version - in contrast - kicks major ass.

I like Blade Runner again.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!