Game availability?

Hey all.

I took care of my girlfriend's 10 year old son this past weekend for her and decided to entertain him with The Pandora Directive.

I had been playing it, but started over a game to play with him...I thought he would not get Tex or the game, but I decided to give it a try.

It is safe to say that there is a new Tex Murphy fan to help continue to tradition of these games.

He absolutley LOVED the game and Tex. He got the humor right away and refused to look for hints for the puzzles. I was very impressed with his ability to solve them and we finished the game over the weekend.

He already wants to play UAKM and Overseer next weekend (especially Overseer because there is no disc swapping and better performance) and he wants to dress like Tex. Being a PI was also added to his list of possible careers.

His birthday is coming up next month and I figured I would try to get a copy of each Tex game for him since I will not part with mine. Does anyone know how rare they are now and how much this might cost me?

Also, where can I download the Radio Theater episodes to put onto a CD for him?

Thanks for any help.
The main site (click on the red Tex above), then "Case Files" at the bottom, and then "Radio Theater" appears above and to the right of where you clicked.

You should really consider copying the .ap files from the CDs into your UAKM directory - this eliminates the need for discs altogether.

Glad to hear about the new young Tex fan. Good job, fellow proselytizer!
check out ebay. I just bought a new version of UAKM for $14!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
That's great to hear there's a new Tex Murphy fan out there. He should drop by here sometime!

I kind of wish I were in your position. It was great fun all those years ago sitting with a friend whilst playing the Tex Murphy games.

Since the games are quite old now I don't expect to see them in stores except maybe in a bargain bin or in a second-hand games store. Online stores, some that sell used or old games could have some. Your best bet though is probably eBay. Do a search and select to list by Lowest Price first (keeping an eye on when each auction ends since the price goes higher close to the end. or see if you can do a Buy It Now and forget about bidding.)
(Ruri_Ayanami from the old Tex Murphy ezboard).
"I don't believe in intuition, don't know why... just a feeling." - Tex Murphy
That's such good news! Actually made my morning. :)

Always good to see folks embracing all that Tex has to offer. It sounds cute that he wants to dress like Tex, and is willing to put today's extremely formulaic titles aside for some good quality gaming.

Also, the fact that you are offering to take care of your girlfriends 10 y/o son and spend some quality time together really heightens my level of respect for you. You are a champ! :D ...the gift sounds like a great idea in my opinon, I am sure he is going to love it!

-Cub. =o)
Cubase wrote:That's such good news! Actually made my morning. :)

Always good to see folks embracing all that Tex has to offer. It sounds cute that he wants to dress like Tex, and is willing to put today's extremely formulaic titles aside for some good quality gaming.

Also, the fact that you are offering to take care of your girlfriends 10 y/o son and spend some quality time together really heightens my level of respect for you. You are a champ! :D ...the gift sounds like a great idea in my opinon, I am sure he is going to love it!

-Cub. =o)
Well, thank you. It is not hard to help her and him out since I have known her since 9th grade. She got pregnant at 15 and sadly, the father took off years ago not to be seen or heard from. I will always be there for her and her son....in fact, I am planning on asking her to marry me very soon.

That is another impressive thing to me about her son, that he liked this type of game. I thought he would not like it because of the graphics and fact that it is not on the PS2 or Xbox.

It did bring back memories of sitting with friends and laughing and trying to figure out the puzzles...it was almost depressing that it was 11 years ago when I had that much gaming fun. :(
He loved the challenge. He kept asking me about the history of the game and I kept sharing my story with him that I first got into the Tex games in '95 when I was in high school. I told him about the day when Overseer came out and I spent $50 on it right away...money that was in my pocket to pick up stuff for my date to the prom...but it went to Tex anyway...much to the anger of my date who lost out on her limo ride. I also mentionded that the Tex games hurt my college GPA a few times before I graduated...

The sad part was when he asked about the next Tex game and I said it probably would not happen, but to never give up hope. He thought it was stupid that no one would take a chance on the series and he thought there would be a market for it among his age group...if developers would just give them a chance and not write them off as morons.

Also, if I were to copy the files to my directory...do I make a subfolder for them or just copy them into the main game folder?? Does it automatically recognize them or do I have to set it up for the game to look for them??

I will let the kid know about this place and encourage him to register.
I'm not too sure about the techy question but would suggest that he doesn't listen to the radio theatre until he's finished Overseer as it might spoil the ending of Overseer for him.
Good call, DL!
Also, if I were to copy the files to my directory...do I make a subfolder for them or just copy them into the main game folder?? Does it automatically recognize them or do I have to set it up for the game to look for them??
Just copy them into the MOON and PANDORA directories. Every now and then you'll run into a duplicate, and it will ask you whether you want to replace one file with the same file of a different size. Just choose the larger, and you'll be fine. It automatically recognizes them. Sounds too simple, doesn't it? :)

See this for more help:
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/phpb ... .php?t=247 (im_melting_im_melting's post).