Overseer no sound in game / RSX 3D audio fix

Last edited by changis on June 18, 2022 • 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I had problems getting Overseer to work with in game speech, and after some time googling the problem and trying to figure it out, i finally managed to fix the problem. so i made a fix for it, and am now sharing it with you.

This issue fixes the problem of not having any speech in game.
I am assuming you are able to start Overseer, and can watch the intro video with sound..

this describes the problem:
when examining an object, or anything producing a line of speech, subtitles flash for only a split second and Tex doesn't say anything.

The main culprit is Intel's RSX 3d Audio system.
This is a software driver for recreating spatial surround sound.
it is included on the original discs, but it is not included in the gog version (unless it's hidden in the installer files)

now, RSX 3D was from '96/'97, and was absorbed into Miles in '99, so finding a copy of it is very hard as it has been discontinued for about 14 years now.. but i managed to find a copy of it.

now, after installing RSX 3D, i still had the same problem, and testing RSX 3D audio gives an error message.
the problem was that the DLL's are not registering during installation, so I had to register the dll's manually.

But, you won't have to.
just download my fix and i'll do it for you ;)

in this fix there are 4 files, the RSX 3D Audio installer, two batch files for registering the DLL files, and a registry key.
one batch file and the reg key are for x64 windows.

Download it here

(chrome may say its rarely downloaded or similar, just choose to keep the file.)

there are no viruses.
The batchfiles and reg key are written in full below.

* RSX DLL fix.bat
@echo off
c:\
cd\
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\aaudio.dll
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\rsx.dll
exit
* RSX x64.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs]
"C:\\Windows\\system32\\AAUDIO.DLL"=dword:00000001
"C:\\Windows\\system32\\RSX.DLL"=dword:00000001
* RSX x64 DLL fix.bat
@echo off
copy c:\windows\system32\aaudio.dll c:\windows\syswow64\
copy c:\windows\system32\rsx.dll c:\windows\syswow64\
regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\aaudio.dll
regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\rsx.dll
exit
edit: Updated download link
revival edit: changed host, Updated download link
its in the gog version but with windows 7 its hidden. thanks for posting your fix here for others
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
it's atleast not installed or copied over.. my folder options are set to show all (including system files) so it must be hidden away somewhere in the installer itself, where it's not exactly plain forward extracting it..

it kind of reminds me of this passage from HHGTTG:
"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."
anyway, i hope gog adds this to the installer, or atleast adds it ass a patch, that way more people can enjoy Tex Murphy, and with Tesla Effect coming out, and many people having win 7/8, and most often the x64 versions, this will fix the RSX in use / no speech in game issue.

btw, completed overseer, and everything worked.. the subtitling was a bit off sometimes, and some dialogue options was cut at the end (not sure if this is common) i noticed it particularly mid game asking the detective something, but it was only the last word or two at the most.
the dll files are in win 64 system files, the rsxtool.exe I could not find. anyway when the icon sits on the taskbar it crashes the game at times so you usually have edit to not pop up.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
thank you, decided to replay this old gem and mid way through ran into no sound and ended up here...the link no longer works but the advice was right for me. The link is still available through the gog help forums if you search for the same subject as on this mesage board. Hope that makes sense. :)