Overseer on Vista - no video

Hi,

I have the DVD of Overseer and I'm trying to play it on Vista.

I can install the game, but unfortunately, I see no videos. When I begin a new game, all I see is a black screen and it directly cuts to the conversation choice. I can access the game after that, but whenever a video is supposed to be playing, it returns an error code. So clearly the problem is with the playing of the videos.

Can anyone help me? I'm dying to play this game again.

Cheers
MisterNorris,
Unfortunately I can't help you with playing off the DVD. I think one of the other members have probably done that. Baf? Plumgas? Cub?

If you are really itching to play the game now, I suggest you go to www.gog.com. The game creators posted their game up there for people to download. The games come bundled with software to emulate old computers that they were designed for at the time. Each game costs $10 and will play on your modern computer. The games work fine on my Windows 7 machine and I think other members have reported being able to play the games fine.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Chances of getting the DVD version of Overseer to run smoothly are very, very slim...

There are only a few people that I've seen brag about getting it to run and it took them a lot of tweaking of this setting or that setting and whatnot...

The DVD Engine that was used to make Overseer run in Windows is no long made, so the only way to get it is to find it somewhere on the net and download it... The company went out of business before Windows Vista or 7 came along, so there are no Updates available for the program either making it even more so unlikely that the game will run smoothly...

My suggest to you is to go to www.gog.com and purchase the game they have there... It is the CD Version but they have gotten it to run in all the new operating systems... All you have to do is download and install and you'll be playing in no time... I believe Overseer is going for $9.99... You can also purchase all the other Tex games from www.gog.com as well... The money goes to Aaron and Chris' new company and into their Secret Project "Fedora" Fund...

If you want my opinion the Video Quality isn't all the much better between the DVD and CD versions of the game... The only reason I liked the DVD Version back in the day is because it eliminated my having to Disc Swap throughout the game... Now with the www.gog.com version, you don't need to Disc Swap anyway...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
to play the movies you need to have dvd express installed & then set it in the overseer config panel. I only got it to run in win 98. If by chance you do get it to run it will still crash.
I use the hd/dvd installer written by a guy on this board, you will find the link on the support pages. It runs well in vista with no crashes, midi sound needs to be muted as it crashes on systems xp & above. Personally I prefer the cd version as it's only the video sequences that you the notice the difference.

however the installer only works for the cd disks. If you haven't got the cd's disk the other option is from gog. They have specials now & then where you can download for $5.99.

there have been a few people who extracted the video scences from the dvd disk & coverted them to mpeg 1, they seemed to be happy with the results. Seems like a lot of drama just to see video less grainer if you ask me. if are technically inclined you can find how they did it on gog.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town