One problem with Overseer DVD

So I finally got it. Followed Nilo's help and got the thing running on my Pentium 4 with XP and Nvidia 8400 GS. It runs!!

But ... all dialogue tree screens are black except for the actual written dialogue choices. So I can advance the game but it's kind of annoying. Tried installing on another PC . . . same thing. I found another thread where the guy had the same issue and the advice he got was to download the latest version of dvdexpress (which I think I have).

Funny, because the first time I installed, I got a message about the program trying to use Some "FFPDslidehow" or some such.

Anybody?
at the start when talking to chelsea when tex is in bed, the screens do go blank & you only get the words on the screen - this is normal

error does not mean a error is normal with xp - disable midi in config panel in overseer

dvd express gets installed first & then in config in overseer select hardware decoder - dvd express

If dvd express is working you get the start screen for overseer, if it's not working you jus get the blank screen at first.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Thanks Plumgas.

I'll keep playing it. The Midi runs fine. I can actually hear the music.
On my desktop, things seem okay then. My Vista Laptop has video running waaaay too fast. Anything I can do about that?
don't know anything about video running fast, midi might be running fine but you must disable it for future game crashes. expecially when you get to gideons gallery.

I don't use the dvd version on vista only the cd version with all the cd's mapped to hd/dvd installer.
Lynne
Thanks plumgas.

The dialogue choice screens are black no matter where they are. It's annoying.

Will the CD version run better on XP? Because I just might try that instead.
The cd version does play better.

These instructions allow you to play the cd version from your hard drive (no swapping cds)
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/mess ... f=3&t=1576

If you can hold off a little while longer... GOG.com should be releasing Overseer with my "fix" as a full installation package with some extra touches.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_overseer
A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
SansGUI wrote: If you can hold off a little while longer... GOG.com should be releasing Overseer with my "fix" as a full installation package with some extra touches.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_overseer

It's officially been released!
A sansGUI interface is one that does not have the small features called "Windows". The term comes from the French word sans, meaning "without".

SansGUI's are more typically used in Unix-like Operating Systems. The conventional wisdom is that a GUI (Grapical User Interface) help guide the casual computer user to perform routine tasks with Point and Click simplicity. SansGUI's have acquired considerable acceptance for users accustomed to the CLI (Command Line Interface).
SansGui,

I bought the CD version from GOG today and just installed it. Works great. No more black screen with the dialogue choices! I wish I could get the Midi music to work, but hey, you can't have it all.

I will say this to all those who are holding up their noses at the CD version. Guess what? There isn't that much of a difference. Really, the video quality of the DVD isn't so much better as to stop me from playing a real playable version of what I hope is a great game.

SanGUI thanks again for all your hard work in getting this game to work.
SansGui,

Just wondering what your finishing touches were, as I had your version I wasn't going to download overseer from GOG as your version is great. However if you had a part of it I will buy overseer also.
They had problems with Pandora & they have the new files I sent them today for the new installer.

I hope someone also can help with dvd express or a working decoder to keep everyone happy.
actually I might suggest to them to use elcard decoder which also works with dvd express.
Lynne
Tuco wrote:SansGui,

I bought the CD version from GOG today and just installed it. Works great. No more black screen with the dialogue choices! I wish I could get the Midi music to work, but hey, you can't have it all.

I will say this to all those who are holding up their noses at the CD version. Guess what? There isn't that much of a difference. Really, the video quality of the DVD isn't so much better as to stop me from playing a real playable version of what I hope is a great game.

SanGUI thanks again for all your hard work in getting this game to work.
Your welcome, but the credit belongs to GOG. I am only assuming they used my fixed executable as it wouldn't make sense for them to redo what is already publicly available.

I actually like the video of the cd version as it more closely matches the VR environment, just my opinion.

plumgas wrote:SansGui,

Just wondering what your finishing touches were, as I had your version I wasn't going to download overseer from GOG as your version is great. However if you had a part of it I will buy overseer also.
They had problems with Pandora & they have the new files I sent them today for the new installer.

I hope someone also can help with dvd express or a working decoder to keep everyone happy.
actually I might suggest to them to use elcard decoder which also works with dvd express.
I did not have a part in the GOG packaging, they are the ones that would of included any "finishing touches". I have not purchased the series from them yet, so I am not sure what they did extra.

I did see a post over at their forums (I do not recall which game was being discussed) about Vista's Games Explorer integration where right clicking on the game gives an option for the manual. Stuff like that.

They should have packaged everything into one installer. That alone eliminates the need to go through all of the steps in my cd guide. Its just more convenient for people than my guide.

_

they included rxs sound in the installer but I hear people are having sound issues, to edit the sound you have to edit the windows registry.

I think maybe this would be an indication to wait a while before purchasing until they iron out a few things.
Lynne
Don't know if this helps anyone, but I had the problem Tuco describes until I downloaded and applied the latest Overseer patch. It adds a whole bunch more options for DVD decoders, one of them eventually worked.