Disappointed (?) Spoilers -

Tex has taught us to dream big. Sometimes we win big and sometimes we lose big. Either way you've got to reach for the stars or at the very least the nearest Moon Child space station.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Yes of course there are limits to the game, I like Sam love the investigating and I wish there could have been more individual comments for items that either had no comments at all or the same one ad nauseum.
As far as the puzzles, I was if anything up for more difficult ones. I though overall they were very easy.
However, all of that being said, it is a Tex game and I am so happy that we got to play another one / got closure from Overseer and that it has many of the things we love about the games, considering the constraints they faced.
GO TEX MURPHY 7!!!! :mrgreen:
"When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." Jean Harlow
I totally agree: almost all of the puzzles were quite easy. In fact, for many of them, it's not even really necessary to figure out the logic of them. I think of the chest in the Headmaster's bedroom. I still haven't bothered to figure out the logic of which buttons cause which bars to change colour, but I'm able to solve it in less than a minute every time.
After the opening cinematic I had such high expectations for this game, but by the end I felt let down. After going back today and finishing Pandora again for the first time in over ten years, it's amazing how well that game holds up and how poor Tesla Effect is by comparison when it comes to the storyline and the puzzles.
This bohemian photo-bombed Coit Tower's selfie.
I just finished the game, and the only thing I'm disappointed with is the music.
Pandora, UAKM, and also Overseer, had all lots of great midi music.

Tesla Effect has music which fits in, but it lacks the soul. The main PI theme (the one you hear in tex office) is a flat background music. You don't notice it, you don't remember it after you finish playing. Sad ;(

The rest of the game was very good, it felt like old Tex in HD :)
The music was a disappointment though.
annie from OZ wrote:
sam10100 wrote:Yes Joel, that's my major criticism. For being a detective, I felt I did not get to do enough investigating.

We didn't really get to find clues, search through trash bins, bribe people for information, assemble notes, or anything like in the previous games. I enjoy puzzles but felt this game lacked the 'I' in 'PI'.
I agree Sam. When you think of the puzzles and investigations in Pandora Directive (eg. opening the puzzle boxes and using the alein abductor in Roswell), nothing in Tesla Effect really comes close.

Still, it is an enjoyable game and thankfully very reminscent of the old Tex games in story and tone
I think this is probably the best overview. Annie and Sam have, I think, hit the nail on the head.
GaryHollman wrote:
annie from OZ wrote:
sam10100 wrote:Yes Joel, that's my major criticism. For being a detective, I felt I did not get to do enough investigating.

We didn't really get to find clues, search through trash bins, bribe people for information, assemble notes, or anything like in the previous games. I enjoy puzzles but felt this game lacked the 'I' in 'PI'.
I agree Sam. When you think of the puzzles and investigations in Pandora Directive (eg. opening the puzzle boxes and using the alein abductor in Roswell), nothing in Tesla Effect really comes close.

Still, it is an enjoyable game and thankfully very reminscent of the old Tex games in story and tone
I think this is probably the best overview. Annie and Sam have, I think, hit the nail on the head.
They sure did...thanks to Joel bringing it up. What a guy.
yes the only note we got to put together was at the blue dragon warehouse ( ariel path)

the game was 100% fmv but failed in other areas

flamingo night club closed
no people at the smoking club
the room above the electronics shop had no door (how did people get out without the ladder)

maybe instead of extending the game they could have just made chandler avenue with more exploration. I really missed going into the electronic shop to buy things so I could solve the case.

beside all this I am still happy with the game & I love playing it. I only hope we see another game so aaron connors can over see it & put another game out to outshine pandora.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Thanks for concurring. There's certainly things, such as difficulty level variance, that I don't think would be too difficult to integrate, given another game.
After having completed it for the third time yesterday I did think of a way to diversify the gameplay a little more. Since the game does resemble an FPS type mechanic, why not have the gamer more involved with the solutions rather than merely pointing or clicking? For example, in the Tesla Society you need to extinguish a fire. In the game, this is done by a simple point, click, drag and drop.

Why not actually have a feature in the game where you need to equip the item and actually use it like in a first person shooter. So, as Tex, you're extinguishing the fire rather than it merely happening by a simple object to environment application. There were heaps of moments in the game like this, even something like using a screwdriver to loosen the vent cover.
I like that idea Joel. It would have definitely given it a more immersive feel!

I liked TE, but it could have been much better I think. I wrote a rather long review on Steam explaining what I think it got right and what I think it got wrong: http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/765 ... ed/261510/
Matthew, great review.

Many of your observations I share as well, although I have only done one play through with the "Somewhere I'll Find You" ending.

I find that Pandora feels grander in scope narratively and choices seem more distinctive and impactful than TE.

Overall I enjoy the game but agree that the narrative feels disjointed and rushed in certain portions.

I do look forwarding to replaying it soon with the intention of getting the Taylor ending.
Hopefully they get the gamepad support soon, my current xpadder config is a tad wonky to accommodate the partial baked in gamepad support.

Best regards,
KvE
Politics is like a corral. No matter where you are you will always be shoveling it.
Thanks!

I haven't played through the Taylor path. The ending I referred to is the Ariel ending. I found it very unsatisfying. I hope some of the other endings are better. I have to take a break from playing it, though so it will probably be a while before I see them.
the taylor ending is nothing special, in fact the ariel path gives you more game play as you do go to the blue dragon ware house & the sewer.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
The Ariel path is a good one but the Dragon warehouse feels more of a diversion. I liked the photo puzzle and the flashbacks, but you mainly leave on your own accord and after that, the game just resumes its normal course. It would have been amazing if from the warehouse the game took off on a completely different path with other characters and new scenarios. But, budget sadly didn't allow for this.

It reminds me of Deus Ex when you have to go find your brother. I would have loved it if you were given the option to remain with UNACTO and hunt your brother down rather than automatically be assigned to the other side.