My Tesla Experience

I'm going to start a thread to diarise my experience of the game as a chapter-by-chapter ('Day') account.

Day 1

It's good to be back, isn't it? From the beginning it should be obvious to the fans that Chris and Aaron felt they had unfinished business. Although Tex's office looks a little different to when we were last there, the feel is still the same. The Unity engine captures the spirit of the older games while not, as a whole, looking out of place to the modern gaming scene. For this reason, Tesla Effect is a perfect valentine to fans. I was actually surprised to see so many references and footage from the previous three games.

Speaking with Louie really capped it off though. I was concerned at first that maybe the game is throwing back too heavily to the earlier games. To a certain extent, it kind of does but at the same time, that is the point. This isn't the time to take risks with the series because it could very well be the last. But, in some ways this game takes some of its greatest risks with the inclusion of new characters and a vastly expanded Chandler Avenue.

I must agree with the mob in that Smart Alex is a pain and the game WOULD be better without him, I honestly believe that. His voice is so jarring to the tone of the scene and the tasks at hand. Nothing of what he has said has made me laugh. As for the story, it's developing nicely. I'm unclear as to how the P.I system works (I skipped the tutorial). But, from what I can tell, I only have one lightbulb so far and the path I am on (I forget the name of it) is "I will find you" or something.

The Chapter ended well enough, though a little confusing with all of the names being thrown around. So far, no hints used nor any puzzles skipped.
One of the reviewer stated he could not see why smart alex was there & there was no need for him. I just ignore him. By the way joel I know you are using steam like me, steam cards should be appearing soon.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
plumgas wrote:One of the reviewer stated he could not see why smart alex was there & there was no need for him. I just ignore him. By the way joel I know you are using steam like me, steam cards should be appearing soon.
This is going to sound REALLY daft but what exactly is a steam card? Are these the achievements?
they are game cards that can be traded, thats all I now. quite possibly they might be loaded already.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town

This is a good idea.

I was able to download the game on the 7th and have been playing around with getting the feel. Remember, it has been a long hiatus. Now I feel I am ready to take on 'the game.'

I am not a gamer. I have not played any other online computer game. Tex Murphy is the exception. I am not trying to rush through the play. This has nothing to do with bragging rights. It takes time for me to work out where Tex is going and why.

This morning (10 May 14) I started the game for real (walking around, picking up comics, checking out the street (like any real PI), climbing fire-escape ladders, looking through windows, collecting odd items. Riding the elevator in Coit Tower.

Throughout the "experience" I have been saving the game as I have proceeded. TE is a fine game experience.

Ema Nymton
~@:o?
We Cheat The Other Guy And Pass The Savings On To You.
I should also point out that this threat will contain HEAVY spoilers. Sorry I didn't warn earlier.

Day 2

The grin on my face only grows wider. This chapter should be called the Chapter of cameos because it is one massive tribute to the community here, UTM. James, Jen and even a photo of Cub make an appearance in this chapter. I especially enjoy Jen being the child who caught the gun in UKAM. Talk about childhood ret-con! She actually makes two appearances if you watch closely. I'm also becoming more and more curious about the darker Tex Murphy that we never get to see. Perhaps this will be covered in Radio Theatre.

The game just keeps getting better. I've learned more about Carlos and Mason while also being introduced to the stunning femme fatale, Ariel Bowers. We're also introduced in this chapter to yet another new comer to Chandler Avenue, the BBQ House. My favourite moment here is actually the walk up to the establishment itself where you can see the silhouette of the waitress walking around the restaurant. Another first for the Tex series.

But, the scenery in the beach house is also sublime. I've found eight out of nine baseball cards. I'll have another sweep next time around.

So far, no hints and no puzzle skipping while still being on the same story path!
Day 3

Bulbs = 3
Path = Somewhere i'll find you

Ok, for the first time in the game I have skipped a puzzle. The one that I got stuck on was the Tesla book code. I couldn't work out the combination. I attempted all kinds of pattern detecting and numerology skills, nothing. I even went as far as entering Tesla's death year, 1943. What was the solution anyway?

The story seems to be heading into Pandora Directive territory in the sense that it is based on historical events and the conspiracy theories that surrounded them rather than a UKAM or Overseer doomsday/domination type story. The historical and conspiracy fiction type stories seem to fix Tex best. It was great to see Archie blowing it wide open once again, just as he did in Pandora. I have a theory on Tex's memory loss; I have a feeling that Tex himself willed the memory loss for some reason. The Mason Bauers video was a big hint along with the fact that his ex-wife recognises him quite well, almost as though they had worked on something together.

Margaret Leonard is a mystery and its especially fascinating to know that she was on very good terms with Chelsea. I wonder what the link is. Then there's the J.T Donnelly mystery. Stopped, still faithful to Chelsea and have a beheaded corpse in a bathtub awaiting me.
I get the feeling I'm not alone here, but my first play through is more than likely on the "Chelsee path". I'm only on Day 7, but so far, any and every time Taylor or Ariel has tried to seduce me, I bring up Chelsee. It's strange, for us, it's been 16 years, and for Tex, 7 years that feel like just yesterday. I just have a hard time seeing Tex with anyone but Chelsee.
Joel wrote:The one that I got stuck on was the Tesla book code. I couldn't work out the combination. I attempted all kinds of pattern detecting and numerology skills, nothing. I even went as far as entering Tesla's death year, 1943. What was the solution anyway?
If I'm remembering that puzzle correctly, it was similar to sudoku. The numbers (and blanks) form a 4x4 grid, and one row is already complete. You have to make the other rows add up to the same total as the already-complete row.
jcarnby wrote:I get the feeling I'm not alone here, but my first play through is more than likely on the "Chelsee path". I'm only on Day 7, but so far, any and every time Taylor or Ariel has tried to seduce me, I bring up Chelsee. It's strange, for us, it's been 16 years, and for Tex, 7 years that feel like just yesterday. I just have a hard time seeing Tex with anyone but Chelsee.
That's an interesting way of thinking of it. This had struck me last night actually while playing Day 3 where Taylor expressly suggested that Tex should move forward to which I was given the decision. I chose to stay faithful to Chelsea. It's an interesting metaphor to the faith and commitment that fans like us have had in the Tex Murphy games, isn't it?
marinedalek wrote:If I'm remembering that puzzle correctly, it was similar to sudoku. The numbers (and blanks) form a 4x4 grid, and one row is already complete. You have to make the other rows add up to the same total as the already-complete row.
That's the one. I actually did think of taking the Sudoku approach but decided against it because that's pretty much the approach for the baseball card puzzle where you needed a "17" on all lines. It didn't make sense to me at the time that within two hours of that puzzle they'd give us another one that is virtually identical. BFG should have mixed it up by giving us a letter assembling puzzle instead.
Day 4

Bulbs = 3

So far this is the shortest of the Chapters but so far it's actually my favourite. The return of Big Jim Slade came far quicker than imagined. Although Richard Norton looks a little different from when he last played the role, absolutely nothing of the character his performance has vanished. Richard still plays the character expertly with just the right level of sarcasm, menace and coldness. My initial theory, based on when the trailer was released, about the pair of them being an ally wasn't too far from the truth.

It's clear that they will be enemies once again but from that scene I got a really good sense of history between them, I was thinking a lot about the "lost years" today in fact and, assuming the game doesn't provide too much detail, would be interested in those years being revisited in either Radio Theatre or even a novel.

Another thing that stands out for me in this game is the use of red lighting. I really enjoy it because it adds to the gritty, future noir setting that the game is going for. I remember having a chat with Adrian about this previously and he felt that they nailed the noir film feel this time around. I agree. This is also made possible through the score for the game. The soundtrack is spectacular. I've actually been listening to it a lot on my iPod.

I managed to solve the flower puzzle with relative ease, no hint or skip used for this. The character of the Count is interesting though I do get very sinister vibes from him. If I had to complain about anything, the Sapphire scene was a little awkward. One of the lesser moments in the Tex series and hopefully a character we don't have to endure too much of.

Looking forward to Chapter 5!
I also chose the Chelsea path. If you played these games in the 90's their is no one else you'd rather see Tex with. Also the smart Alex is the Jar Jar binx of the Tex Murphy games. SMH on that one.
Day 5 & 6

Bulbs = 3

It just keeps getting more and more involved. This could be the best Tex Murphy game yet! Day 5 was actually pretty tough because it was the most puzzle heavy. Admittedly, I did struggle in places. I ended up skipping the checkerboard puzzle (I know it actually isn't a checkerboard, just forgot the name of it) and I also couldn't find the hook so used the cheat guide for that. But, for everything else, including the tests, I did all myself. But this took two sessions for me to get through (i play the game for about two hours of a nighttime).

However, I did get "killed" a few times in the holding cells as the guards kept finding me, so I lost a few points there. I get the feeling my hope of getting 5 bulbs won't be met. At best, I think i'll only have 4. I ended up covering two chapters. So, a brief recap of my experiences there.

The story has just gotten more complex. Who precisely are the cult? Are they the remains of the Tesla society? As for their leader (the guy in the mask), he claims to be the "Translator"? Am I correct in assuming he is Charles Johannsen, the FBI agent who was investigating the Tesla cache? The same man who died but was resurrected? That one threw me a little. But, from what I can tell, there are competing factions attempting to get the Tesla egg and this seems crucial to either finding or activating the Translator (and I don't even know what that is). How is my understanding of the story so far?

Also, the guy with the silver hair who has the chryochamber, is his name Thompson Holt? He said it too quick.

I also enjoyed the scene with Ariel and Taylor. However, I was disappointed to see that I didn't get to experience the scene that was featured on the trailer, it looked hilarious. However, that's because I stayed true to Chelsea. I rejected both of them so as far as I can see, I should finish up on the "Somewhere i'll find you" path. Given that there's three paths, i'm assuming that one path is for Chelsea, one is for Ariel and the other is for Taylor?

So, just to finish up for today. Tex's goals are:

- Find Chelsea

- Find the Tesla egg

- Find my Trance Key

- Find another Trance Interruptor Serum

- Work out whose side I am on

Busy busy busy! So many questions. Gosh I hope i'm understanding it correctly. But I am having fun!
FINAL WARNING: EXTREME SPOILERS AHEAD WHICH INCLUDE KEY PLOT POINTS TO THE GAME PLUS THE MYTHOS OF THE TEX MURPHY SERIES ITSELF. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Day 7

Bulbs: 3

Path: Somewhere i'll find you

Talk about revelations! The first major thing to note about this chapter is that we finally learn about Chelsea's mutation: absolutely nothing. She was adopted by a Mutant family. So, my assessment of the story is as follows; the Tesla society were disbanded after Charles betrayed them. It was part of their plan to resurrect him from Chryostasis which is when he turned on them by working in collaboration with Slade. Charles, the Translator, wants to use the Spirit Radio (a Tesla Invention) to carry out his scheme of domination. The Tesla Egg can stop this.

The only thing I am unclear on is Dalton. I know it was explained but it was very brief. Who is he exactly and his connection to Margaret?
Day 8

Bulbs:4

Path: Somewhere i'll find you

It's been a while since my last update because I actually discovered a really bad glitch in the game which entirely prevents progress through the game. When you arrive at the Tesla labs, for those who have made it this far, you need to pick up a chair and smoke bomb to progress beyond the laser field. But, if you get killed yore restored to a save point just beforehand. The problem is that if you picked up the smoke bomb, despite the door opening, an invisible wall will stop you from re-entering the room. I've raised this with BFG.

I don't think Tex Murphy has ever been quite this "action" packed before. I'm mainly referring to the presence of hostile NPCs in the game. Although we had this in UKAM/PD/Overseer to the extent that we had to avoid droids and security bots, Tesla's take on it feels different. Morlocks, Guards, prolixity mines and electric bolts add to the thrill of the environment. It's precisely what I was wanting; an FPS mechanic in the game without turning it into a shooter. It was actually quite scary in parts. Terrific atmosphere. It reminded me a lot of Deus Ex's MJ51 Facility in Hong Kong.

I haven't found my photo yet. One by one I looked at the portraits in the derelict offices. Maybe I feature later in the game. It seems at this stage the plot is finally set. All of the characters seem to have been revealed, their motivations are quite apparent and we have a fairly good idea of what is at stake. Time to see how it plays out in the final few chapters. I'm definitely sticking to the Chelsea path. I also gained another bulb too!