Discuss your fears about the new game

Hello everyone, I know we are all on a high from watching the latest trailer for the game, but that does not mean all my fears are gone.

1. When I played Tex originally that was a special time in my life. I'm not sure playing now will bring back the same feelings I had when I was young.

2. I heard a comment in one of the interviews about the writing for today's gamers is much different, as we all have shorter attention spans. I hope that doesn't mean you now need super fast reflexes and the game is full of action and timed sequences.

3. A lot of the screen shots from the game make it look very dark, I'm not a huge fan of games that are so dark you get frustrated trying to find things.

4. The puzzles shown in trailer 2 are not my favorite, they look very Egyptian looking. I am aware not all of the puzzles will be this way, I'm just saying I have play similar puzzles in Nancy Drew games and nearly went crazy...lol...lol...

5. I afraid I am going to love it, in a recent interview it was said that another kickstarter project would not be in the works. The only way we would get another Tex game is if this one is successful enough to pay for it.

Having said all that this is still the game I want to play the most that I have supported through kickstarter. I know there will be a lot of Tex fans who will criticize this post. You will never meet a bigger Tex fan than I and until we all play the game it is impossible to know are final thoughts.

What are your concerns?
I don't have any major concerns, to be honest. Any idea that this game wouldn't be what we all have been waiting for for nearly 16 years has disappeared with all the behind the scenes info, screens and trailers.

To be honest, my only concern is the treatment of the characters Saffyre and Mojo. I just don't want any laughs to be at their expense because one's a drag queen and the others a little person. I don't really get that feeling from the trailer, so I'm not really that concerned, it's more something in the back of my mind.

While I won't be able to look at this game through my teenage/preteen eyes the way I did with the previous games, I still got all giddy watching the trailers. As long as the story is good, the humour is there (it sure seems to be :) ) then I'm sure it will be just as good if not better than when I first played the older games.

I think we have to expect this game to be darker (in terms of lighting). The previous games were dark too, especially UAKM and Pandora, but there was no lighting in the engines, per se. It was just darkening and lightening of textures with any shadows actually part of the textures. With the more natural lighting of modern engines, I think the end result is going to be a darker looking world.

I have not been this excited for a game in many years.
My only fear is system requirements. It's been a little while since i've upgraded so i'm not sure if my rig is fit for the job. That's why I hope they can push back the release a little so I can save up for a new computer. If it's a March release (which is likely given Tex's birthday) then I should be fine.
Matthew Buckstein wrote:
To be honest, my only concern is the treatment of the characters Saffyre and Mojo. I just don't want any laughs to be at their expense because one's a drag queen and the others a little person. I don't really get that feeling from the trailer, so I'm not really that concerned, it's more something in the back of my mind.
Let me set your mind at ease. Both characters are comedic, to be sure, but for what they say and how they are as characters than by any discrimination. Saf takes no crap, trust me, and many of you will see more than a touch of Mojo in yourselves. I did! I refuse to be a spoiler, so I'd love to revisit this after release.
They were hilarious, and a perfect fit to Chandler Ave. I think you will love them as much as I did.
:mrgreen:
My fear is that the game will be so awesome that all I'll do is play it. I'll forget to go to work, lose my job, and my house, and be forced to sneak my computer into people's backyards and plug it into their power supply in order to play.
Thanks Jen! I really wasn't that worried, it's just something in the back of my mind, as I said. I knew there was probably nothing to it. :)
dcat151 wrote:My fear is that the game will be so awesome that all I'll do is play it. I'll forget to go to work, lose my job, and my house, and be forced to sneak my computer into people's backyards and plug it into their power supply in order to play.
Yep, that's pretty much all I'm worried about!!

It'll be fine guys, trust the big PI in the sky. :P
"When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." Jean Harlow
My only fear will be that after I finish playing the game, I'll be depressed that it will be over.
Samantha

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
dcat151 wrote:My fear is that the game will be so awesome that all I'll do is play it. I'll forget to go to work, lose my job, and my house, and be forced to sneak my computer into people's backyards and plug it into their power supply in order to play.
HA! The most valid fear so far!!! I plan on taking a couple days off at release time, that way I can imbibe guilt free!
Global - I'm kind of reluctant to answer, because I think we need more positive threads. Local - Nice i word btw.
Bjyman wrote: Nice i word btw.

Jen wrote:
HA! The most valid fear so far!!! I plan on taking a couple days off at release time, that way I can imbibe guilt free!

DEFO - I'll be taking a couple of days too. I've already put out the vibe to both husband and cat that I'll be, well, not approachable (except with snacks, drinks and brow wipes) when the time comes. "Do not disturb" sign round my neck. And so on...
"When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." Jean Harlow
I'm worried someone else will get a better ending than me first time round.

Nah, seriously, I'm really excited at the work that everyone is putting in and I have no fears for any of it.
David
my biggest fear is not wanting to ever play pandora & overseer again after playing tesla effect!
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Frewella wrote:
Jen wrote:

DEFO - I'll be taking a couple of days too. I've already put out the vibe to both husband and cat that I'll be, well, not approachable (except with snacks, drinks and brow wipes) when the time comes. "Do not disturb" sign round my neck. And so on...
I think I'll be coming down with a cold or the flu for the week after the game comes out. I'll see how that works out for me.