OVERSEER DVD GOG VERSION

to start off did you allow ffdshow ,

add overseer.exe into dep (data execution prevention) system properties/advanced/settings
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
I have seen that, but I think the reasons can vary. The first thing I would try is setting compatibility to Windows 98. A reinstall might be worthwhile too.

Someone else might have more insight. There are so many little problems with Overseer.
mine runs on win 7 64 with no compatibility settings
Lynne
It wouldn't hurt to try. Any little difference between the two machines could cause a problem on one and not the other.
First off - I would have thought that the Gog installer does the job for me to install the game properly and without error ... I shouldn't even consider installing or configuring other stuff before playing.

I do have ffdshow on my computer I see, but where do you see the Data execution prevention thing? I can't seem to find that.

Edit: It seems that OVERSEER.EXE is the main fault ... When I copy the exe-file from the CD version of the game, I immediately get a "Please insert disk 1 into Drive x"
Alright - so updating ffdshow to the latest version did the trick :-) Now I can play Overseer again but not without it's glitches. So far just in Tex' office I have got 2 Error codes which didn't return an error (or something to that effect) ... I remain in the game though but have to click an OK button :-)
The error code thing is caused by the midi music I think. Try changing it in the config to the Microsoft option. Save and restart the game. You should also get the midi music when you do that.
yes change midi to microsoft mapper & you won't get the dreaded "error does not mean error"

don't worry changing anything else if its working now.
Lynne
It seemed to work wonders with that midi fix :-) Now I can actually play the game alright :-)

There is one minor catch though ... It seems that the volume of the speech in the movies vary quite a lot. Have you noticed that as well? Sometimes the voices are very low and in the next response it can be high :-)
just play the game, audio isn't a real problem it's just the way it is.
Lynne
Hey ho guys. Sorry if this question has already been answered. I got all four Tex Murphy download games when I donated to the kickstarter. I downloaded Overseer when it was available to me. But since then gog released the DVD version. Do you think if I redownload the same Overseer that I have in my games shelf that it will be the DVD version, or just the same old version? Thanks.
"If at first you don't succeed,
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.nineteenthstar.cjb.net
www.sowden.cjb.net
If you re-download the game, you'll be downloading the DVD version! It looks absolutely great, and runs pretty great too.

I did run into a small problem though. Unavoidable crash bug at the Anasazi ruin 3 lever brick puzzle. I'm about to post to the GOG boards aboot it.
Awesome, downloading it now. Thanks, later.
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.sowden.cjb.net
Just finished playing it yesterday. I found online that a lot of people were having trouble with the Alcatraz Cell Block A crashing on them. I weaseled my way around the room somehow and made it to the next room. I turned off the searching bot so I didn't have that to worry about. I saw someone on a gog form asking someone to upload a saved game, so I just did. Hope it helps others out.
redefine sucess."
- Sowden
www.sowden.cjb.net