Overseer: Does it spoil the plot of Killing Moon or Pandora?

Hey there, total Tex newbie, I kicked in for the new game and definitely dig the hard boiled fun flavor I get that these games have. Looking forward to playing these.

So I bought Overseer on GOG a while back since I heard it was a remake of his first adventure Mean Streets. I have heard it may not be a good idea to play it first, but is it doable? I have heard it has a cliffhanger, and I assume a framing narrative taking place after the other games, but does it spoil the plots of the previous two games in particular?

Thanks
well personally I would play pandora first & then overseer, I think it helps to play one of the previous first so you get to know about the characters & tex. The tex in overseer is a more refined tex as far as the video sequences anyway.

so grab pandora & overseer. I played UAKM after I played these two.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
Yeah, I would agree with Lynne. I would play Pandora Directive first. I started with UAKM, and I love it...but there's a little higher cheese factor (the quality of the acting isn't as good as in PD) Great story and tons of laughs, a nice counterpoint to Overseer. Pandora is the best of both worlds.
I like ALL Tex-games! My favourite game is PD, Mission Street, all 15 "good guy" points, Dinner with Chelsee! :D
Truly yours,
Alexander.
(С уважением,
Александр).

Welcome!

Here in lies the challenge of sequels.

The producers must bring in only enough strings from the original production to justify it qualifying as a follow-on to the original. Yet the producers must also keep in mind that the follow-on product should be strong enough to stand on its own, by itself. The producers of "Under A Killing Moon," "Pandora Directive," and "Overseer" have handled these gossamer threads masterfully to weave a tapestry of entertaining adventure in each game.

The openings of each game, of course, begins with classic Tex flavor but the taste of the game is its own. Each Tex Murphy game can be played without depending on the others and does not spoil the others. The ending of each game stands on the merits of the game's case.

"Where ever you go in the world, there you are." And Tex's Old SF is as good a place as any in the future to end up in.

Ema Nymton
~ @ : o ?
We Cheat The Other Guy And Pass The Savings On To You.
Interesting. If starting with Overseer isn't advisable I guess I'd start with Killing Moon and go chronologically, I don't mind cheese. Though for the record, does Overseer spoil the plots of the previous two games? And how extensive is the non-Mean Streets present day part of that? Thanks
No playing overseer won't spoil anything but UAKM video scenes are not in the same class as pandora & overseer. UAKM is more comedy in a cheezy way my least favourite of the three games. I never bothered with the first 2 which were on floppy disk.

playing them in the order of the series is a good idea as each game gets better as you go along.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
I'd say he'd be better starting with Martian Memorandum as:

UAKM spoils the ending to Martian Memorandum
Pandora spoils the ending to UAKM
Overseer spoils the ending to Pandora (or rather what happened to Tex and Chelsea and frankly the ending would ruin things).
Fedora should be played LAST.

Mean Streets is un-necessary as it is the same story as Overseer.

I started with UAKM so you don't have to start with Martian Memorandum.. its just in terms of story order that's how it should be played.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely start with Killing Moon and rock those three in order. Martian Memorandum and Mean Streets I'll be skipping for the moment, though I do dig point-and-click adventures.

I just picked up Killing Moon on GOG, looks awesome, I'll post my thoughts on these games sometime.
HardBoiledPsycho wrote:Hey there, total Tex newbie, I kicked in for the new game and definitely dig the hard boiled fun flavor I get that these games have. Looking forward to playing these.

So I bought Overseer on GOG a while back since I heard it was a remake of his first adventure Mean Streets. I have heard it may not be a good idea to play it first, but is it doable? I have heard it has a cliffhanger, and I assume a framing narrative taking place after the other games, but does it spoil the plots of the previous two games in particular?

Thanks
I will agree that Overseer is a remake of Mean Streets in some ways, except you can't "bribe"or "threaten" anyone you interrogate like you do in the original. Also, the flight simulator and arcade sequences are omitted. (Although the latter is playable inside Gideon's mansion, if you need to take a break from adventuring -- much like the mini-golf game planned for Fedora.
HardBoiledPsycho wrote:Interesting. If starting with Overseer isn't advisable I guess I'd start with Killing Moon and go chronologically, I don't mind cheese. Though for the record, does Overseer spoil the plots of the previous two games? And how extensive is the non-Mean Streets present day part of that? Thanks
Starting with UAKM and going in order of release would be my recommendation as well.

That said, the spoiler issue isn't too serious at all. It won't ruin the earlier games, but it also won't add much too them to play it first, and it's the weakest of the three FMV games.
HardBoiledPsycho wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely start with Killing Moon and rock those three in order. Martian Memorandum and Mean Streets I'll be skipping for the moment, though I do dig point-and-click adventures.
I think this is the right call. The earlier games won't add much to your enjoyment of the later games and they aren't nearly as good.
I think Overseer would spoil some things due to the fact that the game doesn't exclusively take place in the past. Pandora also spoils some things in UAKM.
Pandora doesn't even have a fixed ending to spoil, though.
Sure, but I can still say Overseer spoils a possible ending in Pandora, even though I don't know which one it is.