GOG OVerseer issue

Guys i got the GOG version of Overseer and it keeps freezing on me 2 minutes into the game while i'm looking around Tex's office. I'm running on windows 7 x86. Anybody else having a similar issue? I haven't played it for more than 10 years,i need my fix!!!
Tex is a little bit like jello.
Now that you mention it, the game freezes on me on several occasions and I have to ctrl+alt+delete to get out. That's the bad news. Good news is I can pick up the game where I left off and continue to the bitter end.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I don't like to hear this. I am planning to play through the trilogy soon.
Don't be discouraged, dcat. I have played all 3 GOG games a few times since getting them and though they flutter or freeze (TMO only) from time to time, overall they play rather nicely.

One other thing I noticed: the mouse movement differs from game to game and from place to place within a game. Weird!
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
Hey OP, I registered just to tell you this so I hope it works. I had exactly the same problem with Overseer recently, and after a lot of time with Google I found a solution which worked for me. After you start the game immediately ALT-TAB out during the opening cinematic and do CTRL-ALT-DEL to start the task manager. Right click on OVERSEER, choose "Set Affinity . . .", and make sure that only "CPU 0" is checked. Then go back to the game. You have to do this every time you start the game since the setting doesn't stick, but fortunately it's not that hard.
The reason this works is because Overseer apparently doesn't cope with multiprocessing well, so you have to lock the game to a single CPU.

I hope this helps you out! It sure worked for me . . .
I found overseer does not like the latest video drivers, had to roll back to the previous version.
Some people have problems with overseer like with later machines & dual video cards.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
I just fired up UAKM via GOG today and so far (I'm still in Day 1), it's working well. The only issue I have is that the sound of the dialog skips or jumps up a few octaves every now and then, but just for a moment. Otherwise, it's golden.
My Son has gotten to, I believe Day 5 in UAKM and hasn't said anything to me of any problems, which the exception of him getting stumped from time to time... hehehe

And I remember playing Pandora from GOG on my other computer and I don't recall any issues...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
DireBirdbrain wrote:Hey OP, I registered just to tell you this so I hopou ae it works. I had exactly the same problem with Overseer recently, and after a lot of time with Google I found a solution which worked for me. After you start the game immediately ALT-TAB out during the opening cinematic and do CTRL-ALT-DEL to start the task manager. Right click on OVERSEER, choose "Set Affinity . . .", and make sure that only "CPU 0" is checked. Then go back to the game. You have to do this every time you start the game since the setting doesn't stick, but fortunately it's not that hard.
The reason this works is because Overseer apparently doesn't cope with multiprocessing well, so you have to lock the game to a single CPU.

I just played this game a few weeks ago. Yep, it did crash on me many times in which I had to CTRL/ALT/DEL to close it, and when the game comes back up, you come in right where you left. A bit annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. Next time I play, I will have to try out these instructions above. Thanks for posting, direbirdbrain. I am still planning to play UAKM for the first time, but was hoping to take a few days off work to do so. Maybe next month!
Cathy
another way to change to 1 processor is the following,

1.install image cfg - its just a command that tells your system when you run overseer to use 1 core.

2. change your bios settings yo boot into 1 core before you play overseer.

2. type msconfig at the windows start key, click on boot, then advanced options & tick 1 cpu then restart your system. change back when you are finished overseer

option 2 & 3 needs to be done every time

option 1 once set you never have to set it again. I use this option & also for the black dahlia.
patch file & instructions are available from me!
Lynne
DireBirdbrain wrote:Hey OP, I registered just to tell you this so I hope it works. I had exactly the same problem with Overseer recently, and after a lot of time with Google I found a solution which worked for me. After you start the game immediately ALT-TAB out during the opening cinematic and do CTRL-ALT-DEL to start the task manager. Right click on OVERSEER, choose "Set Affinity . . .", and make sure that only "CPU 0" is checked. Then go back to the game. You have to do this every time you start the game since the setting doesn't stick, but fortunately it's not that hard.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I used this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/ ... t_menu.reg

and it works like a charm for both Overseer and Black Dahlia.
Thanks again!! :mrgreen:
Tex is a little bit like jello.
tried this file out & its much simplier option than having to setup a command line, just right the overseer icon & click cpu-0 & its done as long as you remember to do it.

with image.cfg it is automatic at times I had problems when things were installed under program files & not under "c"drive
Lynne
Hey V!

I have Vista but not had any problems thankfully. I don't think it's widespread.
no not every machine running vista & win 7 but on modern day pc more than likely you will have
this problem with dual core or multi processors going back to "pentiumD"
Lynne