Pandora Boxes

Could they be made?

I mean, if, say enough funds were raised on Kickstarter, could you make a box like in the games or the book?

The book tells you the dimensions (though I'd probably try and make one slightly smaller), but essentially it's a box where the bottom half doesn't move, the top half has two pieces that slide to the side (and tilt), and there is a central part involving the puzzle, that slides up.

I very much doubt that most of the mechanisms could be made - OE's box would be too complex, and the boxes described in the book with UV light wouldn't work, but perhaps Archie's box (with the sliding pieces) or the box with the pins could work to some extent?

Who even knows how to make boxes? It would be a pretty cool prop though.
David
You get a gold star. How can we get these made? I want puzzle boxes so I can mess with the beneficiaries of my will after I kick the bucket. You know, pranking from the afterlife?

That needs to be a thing.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Fred Buer wrote:You get a gold star. How can we get these made? I want puzzle boxes so I can mess with the beneficiaries of my will after I kick the bucket. You know, pranking from the afterlife?

That needs to be a thing.

-Fred
Fred, you are brilliant. That is a great idea. Of course, I guess I need to acquire something valuable to put in said box. But, one step at a time.
Valuable? Screw that. It's a metal ball bearing and a note that said "Congratulations, you've solved the box. You killed the big mystery and derived it of it's magic. Please hand over to next generation intact. Love, Fred."

Also, DL is the brilliant one here. I still want them boxes!

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
I'm not sure I'm the brilliant one at all - I haven't a clue how to make them or who to approach, but it would be pretty amazing having a working puzzle box from TPD.

Fred, I like your idea - you could leave a note inside saying 'your inheritance is the box - it cost the earth to get it made!'

:lol:

I was also thinking in practical terms that metal would be quite prohibitive - unless everyone pledged well over $100 (or double that), so it would probably have to be some kind of hardened plastic or fibre glass?
David
I received a Japanese puzzle box for Christmas one year. Took me a few days to solve. 150 unique moves. Inside were the instructions. My ex was a funny one.

Bests, Rockefeller 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

"ERROR: Error Code Does Not Indicate An Error"
Anybody who locks the key inside a box, and gives it away as a mystery gift is a genius.

-Fred
I've always meant to scheme a worldwide scavenger hunt, leaving clues left and right from decades to decades all the way to the grave. Leave behind an enormous mystery that leads to absolutely nothing.

This is something one needs to plan early, however. If the universe wills it, I've got about 60 odd years to get this into motion!

Back to David, this is a great idea. I'm afraid I haven't got the know-how nor the contacts to get this done, however.
Part-Time Nomad
reminds of the party game where you have a big box & everyone unwraps it to find another wrapper & it goes down to a very small article & then you find its only a tooth pick.
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
You guys are evil. I do get Fred's idea though. My first reaction to, "I have to find something valuable first" was, "Why? Just put an old smelly sock in it."
Found these 2 sites that might be helpful to some... The 2nd is for the more crafty types that are more inept with hand making things themselves... Not sure if these are exactly what some of you are looking for, but I suppose it's a start...

http://www.uniqueboxshop.com/japsecbox.html

http://www.quagmirepuzzleboxes.com/TheCraft.htm
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Once we get the box thing figured out; the anti-hydrogen is next. :-)
Cathy
Or just find a decent source of Helium3.

-Fred