The Pandora Directive - Now Available at GOG

Bought it (again), beat it (again), still love it! God, what an engaging story.
I downloaded it successfully and it runs well. Truth be told, I still haven't played the game through in its entirety. So I am yet to experience the multiple paths and endings. I finished Mean Streets and i'm currently ploughing through Martian Memorandum for the first time. Next is UKAM (which i've already completed a dozen times), then i'll get onto Pandora. I just hope I have the time to be consistent with it and really devote some time to it.
Question: Are all of the Tex Murphy games available from GOG reprogrammed/re-engineered etc. to have zero DOS dependency/DOSBox dependency?

And has all CD dependence been removed?

If so, even though I own all of them and can run them all seamlessly under DOSBox and GameDrive Pro, it might be worth ponying up the dough for remakes of them that can run natively under Windows XP with no DosBox and no CD changing.

Appreciating it
DTXCF
DalTXColtsFan wrote:Question: Are all of the Tex Murphy games available from GOG reprogrammed/re-engineered etc. to have zero DOS dependency/DOSBox dependency?

And has all CD dependence been removed?

If so, even though I own all of them and can run them all seamlessly under DOSBox and GameDrive Pro, it might be worth ponying up the dough for remakes of them that can run natively under Windows XP with no DosBox and no CD changing.

Appreciating it
DTXCF
All but Overseer are currently available... There are NO CDs required using these games if you purchase and download them...

Not only is it worth it to purchase these games, One you will be able to save your CDs as collector items no longer risking damage using them, Two you no longer have to worry about the Swapping of CDs, and Most Importantly Three you will be helping support Secret Project Fedora...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Also they do rely on DOS... but they have not been retrofitted with WinOS code or extensions. Instead it uses DoxBOX (an external piece of DOS emulation software) which has been embedded in the install package and sits alongside the game creating a virtual DOS environment that enables these games to function in all versions of Windows up to and including Windows Vista (and subsequently Windows 7 as well as far as I know).

Have fun playing them!

-Cub. =o)
Thanks for the replies everyone.

As much as I hate to post something that would give people reason to anything other than buy from GOG, has anyone else ever used GameDrive Pro? Or VirtualCD?

GDP allows you to make images of all of your CDs - just kind of sucks them up into one big file, then creates virtual CD drives that you can "insert" these virtual CDs into. I've created 6 virtual drives, one for each Pandora Directive CD. I also have the UAKM CDs virtualized and the Overseer DVD virtualized (GDP also supports DVDs). Haven't touched any of them in years :).

I've had DOSBox for years as well - I was so happy to find this tool that basically singlehandedly re-opened a period of about 5 years of gaming history. It allows you to specify a CONF file as a command line, and I created CONF files for UAKM and PD that automatically mount the virtual CD drives.

In short, I can already play UAKM and PD without ever touching the CDs. And I often do :). Other than supporting Project Fedora is there any reason to get them from Gog? Any bundled goodies that aren't on the original CDs?

I'm not endorsing not buying them from GOG, just wanted to let everyone know of tools that are out there.
DalTXColtsFan wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone.

As much as I hate to post something that would give people reason to anything other than buy from GOG, has anyone else ever used GameDrive Pro? Or VirtualCD?

GDP allows you to make images of all of your CDs - just kind of sucks them up into one big file, then creates virtual CD drives that you can "insert" these virtual CDs into. I've created 6 virtual drives, one for each Pandora Directive CD. I also have the UAKM CDs virtualized and the Overseer DVD virtualized (GDP also supports DVDs). Haven't touched any of them in years :).

I've had DOSBox for years as well - I was so happy to find this tool that basically singlehandedly re-opened a period of about 5 years of gaming history. It allows you to specify a CONF file as a command line, and I created CONF files for UAKM and PD that automatically mount the virtual CD drives.

In short, I can already play UAKM and PD without ever touching the CDs. And I often do :). Other than supporting Project Fedora is there any reason to get them from Gog? Any bundled goodies that aren't on the original CDs?

I'm not endorsing not buying them from GOG, just wanted to let everyone know of tools that are out there.
Yes... several members had worked out how to do it this way in the past. In fact, a few members (like Nilo and Doc) has been providing tutorials to other members here on how to do it. But for a lot of people who don't like fiddling with all that stuff (like me) and want an all-in-one package, they don't mind paying for that convenience which GOG has offered. And the funds go to the creators as well, which we are HUGE supporters of.

In short, yes we were aware of these alternative methods, but the GOG option is still very attractive for most of us.

-Cub. =o)
To add to Cub's statement, not only do some of us know of these alternative means to play the game, but we've done it on on many of them... But as Cub said, since the profits go to the creators we purchase the new ways to support them, no matter how we use it... Hell, I bought 3 Cards when it came out and I still haven't played it... Not that I don't plan to, just haven't had time... With most things I wouldn't have bought it until I knew I was ready to play it, but since it came from where it came from, I made certain to buy it...

I'll buy all 5 of the Tex Games once all the bugs are ironed out, but other than Overseer, I will probably still play off of my Flash Drive for the other 4 games...

This community is very big on Support, be it for the creators of our beloved gumshoe or for each other...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
GOG is like a jar of your favourite pasta sauce. Sure, it's easy enough to buy fresh tomatos and herbs to create a base for the sauce, but the packaged product saves the effort of slicing and dicing, brewing and stewing so you can get your dish on the boil and onto a plate faster.
Joel wrote:GOG is like a jar of your favourite pasta sauce. Sure, it's easy enough to buy fresh tomatos and herbs to create a base for the sauce, but the packaged product saves the effort of slicing and dicing, brewing and stewing so you can get your dish on the boil and onto a plate faster.
Great analogy!

-Cub. =o)
Does anyone know where I can get the in game .midis?