UAKM for Windows - Teaser

saj wrote:
kevin_y wrote:...But when I "look" at an object and hear Tex's comments, I cannot move until Tex finishes talking. The original game lets you go back to movement mode while you hear Tex. Some of Tex's dialog is long, so you may want to let the player move while he is talking.
You can click on the left mouse button to skip any media (including startup Access video), I suppose I could also add 'space' as a valid skip function. Unfortunately I can't easily allow movement while media is playing, it is a limitation of the way the scripts work (a script currently playing media could lead to a new location being loaded after media is finished, moving about could result in another location loaded as well).
I meant to say that *Overseer*, not the original UaKM, lets you move around while Tex is still talking. Whether you can do that for your game or not, I wish you the best of luck and success. Modernizing the movement control is much needed. This is similar to System Shock getting the WASD control and mouselook a while back.
Any updates? This is a great idea! I remember reading a review of UAKM a while back where a player gave up on the game because the controls were too much for them, and this would change that completely.
This is awesome ! Thank you very much !!
Attachments
UAKM_Win1.jpeg
UAKM_Win1.jpeg (76 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
Here's an early Christmas present to those interested: My final release of WinTex. This time there are 2 downloads, a zip of the exe as before for those who just want to try it out, plus a bonus zip with file format documentation and source code for the 3 of you who are curious or would like to make improvements.

Warning: Source code is not pretty, but it (mostly) works. I would have preferred to clean it up more, but I just don't feel like it, too exhausted from work. The documentation might also not be great, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few inaccuracies hiding in there, but in combination with the source code you should be able to figure it out (and if you don't, you can just ask and I will try to explain). Btw, I am using Visual Studio Community 2019 and have the Direct X SDK (2010) installed (possibly other SDKs as well, but I think only DX is required).

I hope to see prettier and more stable versions coming from some of you in the future :)

WinTex executable
WinTex Docs & Source

-SAJ
saj wrote: December 04, 2021 • 7:36 am Here's an early Christmas present to those interested: My final release of WinTex. This time there are 2 downloads, a zip of the exe as before for those who just want to try it out, plus a bonus zip with file format documentation and source code for the 3 of you who are curious or would like to make improvements.

Warning: Source code is not pretty, but it (mostly) works. I would have preferred to clean it up more, but I just don't feel like it, too exhausted from work. The documentation might also not be great, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few inaccuracies hiding in there, but in combination with the source code you should be able to figure it out (and if you don't, you can just ask and I will try to explain). Btw, I am using Visual Studio Community 2019 and have the Direct X SDK (2010) installed (possibly other SDKs as well, but I think only DX is required).

I hope to see prettier and more stable versions coming from some of you in the future :)

WinTex executable
WinTex Docs & Source

-SAJ

Hi, season's greetings and I wish you all the best. I just tried your 1.0 WinTex.exe, but nothing opened when I ran it. I went back to your 0.9 WinTex.exe, and it gave a DMAP.LZ error. I used different compatibility settings, to no avail. As I posted earlier in the thread, it used to work. I was using Windows 10 as I am now. Thanks and best regards.
kevin_y wrote: December 28, 2021 • 6:46 pm Hi, season's greetings and I wish you all the best. I just tried your 1.0 WinTex.exe, but nothing opened when I ran it. I went back to your 0.9 WinTex.exe, and it gave a DMAP.LZ error. I used different compatibility settings, to no avail. As I posted earlier in the thread, it used to work. I was using Windows 10 as I am now. Thanks and best regards.
Hi Kevin,

Not sure why it won't work for you, could you try deleting all settings from registry (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Access Software\Under A Killing Moon) and run it again? Worst case, source is available, you could try to debug it yourself.

-SAJ
saj wrote: December 29, 2021 • 6:27 pm
kevin_y wrote: December 28, 2021 • 6:46 pm Hi, season's greetings and I wish you all the best. I just tried your 1.0 WinTex.exe, but nothing opened when I ran it. I went back to your 0.9 WinTex.exe, and it gave a DMAP.LZ error. I used different compatibility settings, to no avail. As I posted earlier in the thread, it used to work. I was using Windows 10 as I am now. Thanks and best regards.
Hi Kevin,

Not sure why it won't work for you, could you try deleting all settings from registry (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Access Software\Under A Killing Moon) and run it again? Worst case, source is available, you could try to debug it yourself.

-SAJ
I tried removing registry entries as you suggested, but the same symptoms remained. Have you tested this with the GOG version of UaKM? That's what I use, and I imagine many do too. I don't have the original disc version anymore. Maybe the GOG version is different in some way? Your WinTex.exe obviously pulls data from the game, and maybe the GOG version somehow prevents it to be done.
kevin_y wrote: January 01, 2022 • 1:19 pm I tried removing registry entries as you suggested, but the same symptoms remained. Have you tested this with the GOG version of UaKM? That's what I use, and I imagine many do too. I don't have the original disc version anymore. Maybe the GOG version is different in some way? Your WinTex.exe obviously pulls data from the game, and maybe the GOG version somehow prevents it to be done.
I tried to send you a PM, but it looks like it is stuck in the outbox.

WinTex is made for the GOG version.

I have a few questions:
  • Do you have the file TEX3.EXE in the folder you run WinTex from?
  • Do you see a window flashing when you try to run it?
  • Is the task hanging in Task Manager (Details tab)?
  • Do you have Visual Studio installed, or are you willing to install it and try to debug?
There are other ways you could troubleshoot as well, like with Process Monitor to see if system calls fails or succeeds.
Can't seem to hide from the GRS Security Droid. No matter where I hide it auto-fails as soon as it enters the room.
ghost wolves wrote: January 31, 2022 • 1:03 am Can't seem to hide from the GRS Security Droid. No matter where I hide it auto-fails as soon as it enters the room.
I just tested 3 of the 4 offices and managed to hide. I suspect it is my line intersection check that allows you to get closer to the borders than in the original (I will reverse it someday), so try to step a little back from where you think you should hide (and remember to stay low).
saj wrote: January 31, 2022 • 2:41 am
ghost wolves wrote: January 31, 2022 • 1:03 am Can't seem to hide from the GRS Security Droid. No matter where I hide it auto-fails as soon as it enters the room.
I just tested 3 of the 4 offices and managed to hide. I suspect it is my line intersection check that allows you to get closer to the borders than in the original (I will reverse it someday), so try to step a little back from where you think you should hide (and remember to stay low).
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I was pressed right up against the walls/desks.