Under a Killing Moon: question

I'm about to finish Under a Killing Moon for the second time, and now that I'm near the end I came up with a question that remained unanswered from my first playthrough.

The string of pawn shops burglaries with which the game commences, is just a way to ease the player into the game or this mini-case has some connections with the big one (The Crusade of Purity, the Moon Child, etc.), maybe connections that I missed to examine?

[SPOILER]

I don't know why but - during this second playthrough - I kept thinking than sooner or later the burglaries would have been explained within the main plot. I seemed to remember something about the Chameleon being behind them, maybe in an attempt to try and find the Dove Statuette. Maybe I'm wrong and I simply remember incorrectly, and the burglaries are nothing more than a gimmick to introduce the player to the world and the role of Tex.

Can some of you shed a light? ;)
I'm stumped, without reading the book again as well. I wonder if JTOG can shed some light? I do know that the books sometimes explained things that the game didn't.
David
I've read the book and I don't think the pawn shop burglaries were even mentioned. So it seems like the burglaries were isolated to the bigger plot. And that's really the only time I can think of that in a Tex game.
My thought was that the string of pawn shop burglaries were simply committed by Mick Flemm and his girlfriend Emma Nympton--in that she pawned the bracelet, and then Mick would break in and get it back, along with other stuff. Beek explains something along these lines when you talk to him. I think the burglaries were separate from the main plot.
The pawn shop burglaries were not mentioned in the book as they have no bearing on the case, the crusade or the brotherhood, or for the moon child. However, in the game they serve to accomplish two things: 1. Tex, down in the dumps, needs a case to lift his spirits and get him back in the PI game. 2. Mick Flemm unloads his pockets in the warehouse, Tex scares him off, and Tex finds his keys to the hidden lock box. It just so happens this contains a valuable piece of jade which was used to make the connection with Franco Franco. That lead eventually turns Tex onto Eddie Ching who happens to have a very desirable statuette that is wanted by the Countess Renier (Chameleon in disguise). As you know, the so-called countess hires Tex to retrieve the statuette. Ergo, he finally trips across the entire Moon Child affair, its hidden organization with its hidden agenda, and voila! Tex saves the world but loses the girl (Eva wow-wow Schanzee) to his old employer, The Colonel.

Other than that, I have no idea what you are talking about.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I don't either. I seemed to remember that, during my first playthrough (way back then), the burglaries were discovered to be tied with the main case, perhaps even orchestrated by the Chameleon.

I don't know how this memory popped up in my head, and during this second playthrough I indeed didn't find anything to sustain it... so, I was just wondering :wink:
Mixed memories perhaps? When it's been a long time since I play the games certain elements start floating into eachother. I remember once I thought Pug was in Pandora Directive for some reason.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Pug is in the Pandora Directive in a jar in the Morgue.

In regards to the Burglary/Chameleon connection. I remember Ms. Lucido giving stats such as the Chameleon's height which I first thought could be used in the Crime Computer as well, which was what was used to find the burglar. The Chameleon of course also did steal a stauette.
Didn't UAKM take place in 2042? And PD in 2043? Who saves a head in a jar a whole year? Why not bury the poor man? Bodyparts are usually not evidence, but hey, who knows what's what in the 2040's when people can apparently grow new limbs at will.

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
The Pawn Shop robberies do 2 things, in my opinion anyway... One they ease you into the game and the layout of the playing style and familiarize you with the characters... 2nd it gives you that piece of Jade you need later to get information out of Franco... And there's a 3rd now that I think about it, you get the Favor from Rook who gives you the Token {Silver Dollar} that you need to get on the Moonbase...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
UAKM took place in Dec. 2042, if I am not mistaken, and PD in April 2043 (Tex says the boxes were sent out 9 days ago).

Francesca Lucido's info did NOT have anything to do with the Crime Link computer - that info was only used to identify Flemm and his criminal record.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I know for certain that Pandora was April of 2043... Because I remember Tex saying that he owed Nilo money for rent, it's the Middle of April, Tex said and he is a little late on his February Rent Payment...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
Yes Under A Killing Moon takes place in December of 2042. I should know because I believe Day 2 is on my Birthday.
is in 2042 too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lynne
tex murphy is back in town
I sometimes try to piece lose ends together for stories too.....

Sometimes it can be really difficult when an author has no consideration to consistency
or the story is filled with a bunch of paradoxes.

For example... piecing the stories together for the zelda games... or making sense of the terminator movies.
Matt