UAKM thing I never quite understood

Hey, I just had to join this forum in order to get some insight into a puzzle I don't understand. When you're at Day 2 and trying to get the statuette from Ching, you have to open his safe at one point. Now, judging from walkthroughs and the internal hint system, the combination can be found in the birthday fax. Ok.

The date in the birthday fax is 10/14/42
The combination to the safe is 101412

Is there a hint somewhere in the game to change the second to last digit to be 1 instead of 4?

I'm probably going to feel really stupid if/when someone answers :D

Anyway, thanks. Nice forum you have here :)
Hey Miarf, welcome friend. I don't really recall this puzzle, but I'm sure someone will.
Travis Jacobs

"You might not sound so idiotic if there were at least something excitable in my post to begin with..." --Baf
miarf wrote:Hey, I just had to join this forum in order to get some insight into a puzzle I don't understand. When you're at Day 2 and trying to get the statuette from Ching, you have to open his safe at one point. Now, judging from walkthroughs and the internal hint system, the combination can be found in the birthday fax. Ok.

The date in the birthday fax is 10/14/42
The combination to the safe is 101412

Is there a hint somewhere in the game to change the second to last digit to be 1 instead of 4?

I'm probably going to feel really stupid if/when someone answers :D

Anyway, thanks. Nice forum you have here :)
well, im not sure of you'll feel stupid after this, in fact im not 100% about my answer but I believe Eddie Ching's 30th birthday was in 2042, so the combination code would refer to her actual date of birth, am I right? lol
Ah, that's it. Thanks chameleon13! I do feel a bit slow now, as the answer is very simple when you hear it. Oh well :D
In the words of Deckard Cain, stay awhile, and listen!

Pull up a chair, and welcome to the International Cult of Tex :D

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Haha it's okay, I remember when I first played the game when I was much younger I was like "huh?" as well... but then it kinda makes sense when you remember a lot of people use birth dates as pin numbers.

Welcome to the board!

-Cub. =o)
Welcome... Common mistake, don't sweat it... If I remember right, I kept putting the 4 in as well, then I ended up thinking, that means she changes her combination every year, so I went for the actual date of birth...

As Fred said, Stay Awhile...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
We are delighted to have to new posters on the board. Welcome to our international community.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
We are delighted to have new posters on the board.
Nothing personal here Jim, I can't help but picture some cannibal vampire twirling his mustache while saying this.
Part-Time Nomad
How'd you know?

Good one, Frank.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
...Cannibal vampire? Do they eat other vampires? Isn't that, like... against the rules, or something?

-Fred
Pirates, vampires, zombies, ninjas, ghouls, aliens, goblins, monsters, robots, sorcerers, undead, werewolves, demons, mutated dinosaur-cyborgs and those pesky phone salesmen! The shotgun is a one-size-fits-all solution!
Fred Buer wrote:...Cannibal vampire? Do they eat other vampires? Isn't that, like... against the rules, or something?
You would think it would be against the rules...
But in 30 Days Of Night they ate each other... I didn't really look at them as Vampires when I first saw the movie, but in the Description they give on TV it says Vampires...

So I guess as more and more Blood Diseases have developed, Vampires have had to get creative on their meal menu...
The Paved Straight Road, Won't Always Get You Farther Than The Winding Dirt Road...

Can You Run Your Game??? Click Here And Find Out...

*Note, Not All Games Have Been Tested & Therefore May Not Be Listed...
In Miraf's post, he/she says: "...you have to open his safe at one point."

I was wondering if maybe Miraf hasn't gotten to the point where Tex finally meets Eddie Ching and that maybe we have spoiled a surprise by including in or responses pronouns which indicate that Eddie is a she.

Or maybe that was just a typo in the original post.
Well if not, then you certainly let the cat out of the bag now, Doc :D

No harm done, I'm sure. There're still bigger'n better surprises in UaKM!

-Fred
Don't worry, nothing was spoiled as I finished the game years ago for the first time :) Just didn't remember Eddie's actual gender the second time through.