UaKM - The Book (New Poster)

Hi everyone. Been visiting this board ever since it went live - great job James - but not got round to posting. Until now.

I'm Tongo, and I live in Yorkshire, England. Been a Tex fan since I first played PD and been hooked ever since.

UaKM the book - some observations:
I've just READ UaKM for the very first time. From the opening lines of the book you really get a feel for Tex's character, and that of the other regulars on Chandler Ave (oh, and Mac!). Okay, so the story in the book is a little different to the game (maybe that should be the other way round), but they really complement each other.

The thing that struck me about the book was the fantastically rich desrciptions / portrayels of some of the characters and places- Lou and the Diner for instance - (I'm sure I was physically sitting in there several times during the book, and what a great place it was).

Without doubt the greatest pleasure was further insight into Tex's philosophy on life and being privy to many new 'pearls of wisdom' (as we get in the games, but just more of them). AC's skill in writing these is phenomenol - Tex's character is illustrated with a superb consistency throughout, and with plenty of dry humour along the way.

Read it carefully enough, and you'll hear Chris Jones doing the talking and thinking. Well done AC.

Currently on Day 3 of PD. I think a first reading of that book is in order pretty damn soon.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
Welcome, Tongo! Please visit and post often.

Both books were excellent reads and delved deeply into Tex's psyche. Coupled with the games, we learn a great deal about our hero.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"
I wish i could have read them.
Hey Tongo, welcome aboard! :wink:

Yeah, AC's Tex novels are pretty darn good. The thing is, it's really recommended to read the novels AFTER you play the games, this way you can visualize everything in the books as if they were in a game. Not to mention the fact that the books really provide all those little tidbits of information that really help you understand the characters and especially Tex's persona in a whole different level than the games.

I actually read two of Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight novels recently. Exactly like the Tex novels, they follow the games, but add a lot more detail than what you can actually see and experience in the games. Unfortunately, Jensen hasn't novelized GK3 yet and from the looks of it she never will. Shame, really. Jensen's style is more mystery and paranormal-like and Aaron Conners style is more noirish and reads like futuristic detective books. I wholeheartedly recommend Jensen's books as well as AC's ones for fans and non-fans of both series alike.
Welcome Tongo!
I am glad that you have joined us.

Alex Bark.
Hey Tongo, welcome to the board!

I myself was able to recently read the UAKM novel for the first time (many thanks to *wink, wink* for the gift), and I found it really spectacular. I found it far more cinematic and in-depth compared to the game, and I really liked how it started, placing you in the thick of Tex Murphy on the case. I adored the book, probably to an extent more than the game.

The Pandora novel is a great read aswell... I have read it three times, and found it very engaging. The Roswell part is just as scary (if not scarier) than the game, and the introduction of the two Roswell guards (as you will find out) is a really nice touch which revves up your anticipation. I would say that the book and the game of The Pandora Directive are on par (mainly becuase they are very alike).

Anyhoo, welcome aboard.

-Cub. =o)
I can send anyone the PDF books if they want to read them. Send me an email: [email protected]

Put UAKM-PD in subject line.
"If you look to me for illumination, you better have a flashlight!"